All Things Fiero > Tech Tips, Tech Questions

Recommendatons on places to buy new v6 engine.

(1/1)

sonic50:
Any recommendation on where I can buy a new engine block for a 2.8l?
I don

Fierofool:
Scott, just a personal opinion.  The 2.8 is a little difficult to find, and the cost for a rebuilt one is about the same as for a 93-95 3.4.  All the parts from your old 2.8 will go onto the 3.4 and it's a free 20 HP for the same money.  I'm thinking Don might have or know of a good 2.8, though. 

If you decide to go with a rebuilt, we bought one from Groomes in Nashville for about $1700, with no core charge.  They warrant it for 18 months in a Fiero.  Same engines that Ed Parks uses for his 3.4 conversions.  Jasper is higher and won't warrant it for a Fiero.  GM is almost double, but won't warrant it for a Fiero.

Raydar:
Scott, My 3.4 came from Grooms.
Just a tip... If you buy it through Ed Parks, he can modify it for you, for installation in the Fiero. (Involves drilling the starter holes and... not much else, in your case. )
The up side of that is that if there is a problem, Ed can do the warranty work for you.

What does that mean?

I bought my engine from Grooms, through Ed. He did all the block mods required to make it fit into an 88 Fiero with an automatic. (More stuff than you'll need.)
I went and picked it up and installed it myself.
During the break-in period, it blew a head gasket due to a broken head bolt.
I towed  it back to Ed's.
They removed it, shipped it back to Grooms to be re-rebuilt, and reinstalled it in the car. Grooms paid Ed for the R&R, even though I did the initial install myself. 

I've beat hell out of it for 15-20K, and even taken it back apart to install a big cam and ported heads, and have had no more trouble out of it.
I certainly can't complain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version