Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Fiero 1227730 ECM conversion  (Read 64824 times)

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
Fiero 1227730 ECM conversion
« on: February 11, 2013, 11:59:53 am »
I am new to the forum (hello everyone!) and wanted to know if anyone has done the 1227730 ECM swap? I stumbled upon this topic while looking for more information on the 4T60 trans swap (I

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Fiero 1227730 ECM conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 12:32:27 pm »
None of our members have personally done the 7730 swap.  One had the swap done by Flyboy_81 who's up in Erwin, TN.  He can build your harness or phonedawgz can also do it.  Flyboy_81 (Derek) are both PFF members and Derek is a Georgia member.  You'll need to tell them where you plan to mount your coil pack and knock sensor so they can route the wire properly. 

The timing is picked up from the crankshaft sensor in the side of the block, so the balancer doesn't come into play with DIS.  When we stay with the distributor, we keep the Fiero balancer or cut Fiero timing marks in the Camaro balancer because it utilizes the indicator that's on the Fiero timing cover.  If you will check the Camaro timing cover, you won't find a timing indicator.  BTW, don't use the Camaro timing cover and water pump.  Water flows the wrong direction. 

Use the Camaro oil pan since it's already designed to accommodate the 3.4 oil pump and pickup then you won't have to notch out the baffle in your 2.8 pan. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 05:15:08 pm »
I found these wiring diagrams on Darth Fiero's web page at GMTuners.Com  If you want to build your own harness, maybe they will help. 

http://www.gmtuners.com/files/index.htm

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 02:36:06 pm »
Thanks for the info. I got the wiring info from the web site. I'm pretty good with wiring so I'll probably attempt to do it myself. I just wanted to see if there was anyone out there that had done it and could offer any advice to someone attempting the same project. The 3.4 engine I have is already in the Fiero and running great so the timing chain cover has already been swapped out and your right there were no timing marks on it.  I did reuse the Camaro's oil pan and pump since it was a better oiling system than the 2.8's. I left the knock sensor in the 3.4 engine but it looks beat so I've picked up a new one just to be on the safe side. I believe I can also cut the connector off the coolant temp switch and reuse that to wire the knock sensor up. I guess if nobody in this forum has personally done the conversion I can log my progress if anyone is interested in it. Either way I plan on recording the process and posting it on YouTube if it goes successfully. I posted several

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 03:40:58 pm »
When we first started corresponding, I looked at your YouTube video site.  My PC plays them like they were a slide show, so I can't really watch one, but I did see you had a goodly number of videos posted. 

I've read that some say the easiest way to do the harness on the motor is to drop it out.  That way you can run wires with the factory harnesswork to make it look more professional.  I guess some of it would be easier, too. 

In addition to posting in a thread, look at the top right of the page and you'll see Photo Gallery.  Post up an album of your projects in there.  We'd welcome them.  To be sure your pictures don't disappear in time, download PFF's PIP or go to our Administrators Announcements and download our version.  They will stay as long as the forum stays.  It also eliminates the requirement of clicking a link and going off to another page. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 03:43:31 pm by Fierofool »

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 12:29:43 pm »
I think at this point I'll probably just run the extra wires seperate from the main harness and try an make them as clean as possible. I really don't want to drop the engine if I don't have to. Once I'm ready to do the 4T60 transmission conversion I'll drop the engine out and rewrap the wires into the main harness to give it a more factory look. I'll definitely keep a running log on the process when I start. Any pics I take I'll post in the forum photo gallery. Thanks for pointing the gallery out, I probably would have missed it.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 02:52:35 pm »
Post the full process in the gallery but post progress summary pictures in the thread for quick reference.  I don't think the search function brings up anything in the gallery. 

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 11:40:44 am »
Sent the chip out to Ryan for programming last Thursday. I got an email over the weekend saying that he received it. That said I

Flyboy81

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 11:22:04 pm »
lol wish I had seen this sooner.  We also chip and tune the 7730 ECU.  I keep all the Moates products in stock.  Ryan is a great tuner and does good work.  You shouldnt be disappointed.  If we can be of any assistance, let me know as I am MUCH closer to you and we are fully capable of tuning this swap as well. 

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 09:30:54 am »
THANKS! I will definitely keep you in mind. I've been anxious to start this swap but my kids and I seem to be going round and round with being sick. As of right now I'm planning on using the extended Easter weekend to get it done. I did a mock repinning just using the pigtails on the clip to get an idea of what needs to be moved and where. I think I have a pretty good understanding of the process right now. I think the only questions that might come up so far would be regarding the AC hook-ups and the only obsticle I need to work out is how to mount my coil packs. I want to mount them where the distributor is located but there really isn't much there I can use to mount a bracket to hold them in place. I got my chip back from Ryan last week so I think that officially marks that I now have everything I need to do the swap!

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 02:50:57 pm »
Ok so I

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 04:49:45 pm »
Sounds like it's going very well.  With 5 girls around the house, how did you even find time to write this post? 

Good write!  Anyone reasonably familiar with the engine should be able to almost picture what you're writing, but pictures would be good.  None showing up so far. 

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 10:07:21 am »
Thanks! Yeah 5 girls...WHAT WAS I THINKING! ::) Free time is definitely a rare treat. I was hoping to have this swap done over the extended weekend but time really got away from me. Last year I was figuring about 6 weeks for my 3.4 engine swap but it turned into nearly 4 months but ya know what they are all daddy

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 02:10:04 pm »
Battery try is a good location for the coil pack.  I've seen a couple mounted there after they had moved the battery up front.  Check West Marine online to see if they offer a battery cover.  My starting battery in my boat had a box with a lid and it also had a couple of places for the cables to come out each side.  You may be able to adapt something like that and bolt it down to the tray. 

Which temp sensor are you referring to?  Gauge or ECM?  Remember, there is a matching plug in the passenger side of the front head.  For a mental picture, just spin the 1,3,5 cylinder head around.  I don't know if the Coolant Temp Sensor would work correctly in that spot, or not. 

Check your parts house for the Grand Prix 3800SC plug wire specs.  See if they can tell you the lengths.  They are pretty long, or you might need to get a set of V8 wires and just cull out 2 of them. 

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 02:25:54 pm »
Thanks for the battery box suggestion. I