Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Preferred Clutch kit?  (Read 14896 times)

PRND3L

• View Profile
Preferred Clutch kit?
« on: September 17, 2013, 11:00:50 pm »
I am in need of replacing my clutch in my '86 2M4. The car is mostly going to be used as a SCCA track day/AutoX/RallyX car. I'm looking for a stock replacement clutch kit that is reccomended for this use and can stand up to it a little better then a standard clutch kit. I would go with the consumer favorite according to RockAuto.com, except that there isn't a declared favorite. Are there any "better" clutch kits for this application?

Thanks,
Alex
1986 Pontiac Fiero 2M4 - The Racecar
2003 Subaru WRX - Daily Driver/AutoX
Georgia Southern University Eagle Motorsports - Formula/Baja SAE
www.geogiasouthern.edu/racing

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Preferred Clutch kit?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 11:26:32 pm »
I don't know which is better or worse, but I stay away from the house brands sold by the auto parts stores.  They're generally of low quality.  Though they may carry a lifetime warranty, no one wants to keep replacing clutches, even if they are free.  I think most won't warrant the kits unless they're installed by a qualified garage, though. 

My preference is the LUK clutch kits from Pep Boys.  You can install the V6 clutch disk and pressure plate on the Duke flywheel, but you would need to purchase a separate Isuzu throwout bearing.  I've been running the LUK kits for years on my GT's, and am even running one on my 3.4 swap. 

I would also definitely install Rodney Dickman's clutch master and slave cylinders to go along with the clutch kit.  A clutch that won't release due to hydraulic failure is just as bad as useless as one that slips.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers