Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Website Up, but What To Do About Documents?  (Read 21280 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Website Up, but What To Do About Documents?
« on: June 05, 2014, 10:05:49 am »
As you are probably aware, we (gafiero.org) were shut down for a while. The reason was that there was too much access of PDF documents on our site. So I renamed the document directory, informed PowWeb (our hosting provider), and we are back up.
But now all of the document links that point to PDF files are dead. So we have to figure out what to do. Some suggestions:
1. Limit document access to paid members.
2. Buy a dedicated server on PowWeb. This will cost extra, of course, and the club isn't rich.
3. A guy on Pennock's has offered hosting with no bandwidth limit for cheap (less than PowWeb), but no email (so I would have to come up with a replacement for the admin email address). I am trying to find out more. I won't buy a pig in a poke.
4. Any other suggestions are welcome.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Website Up, but What To Do About Documents?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 10:27:43 am »
Is it because they're PDF files, or because of the high volume of access?  If it's due to the type file, can they be converted to a jpeg, gif, or bitmap file to resolve the problem?  Maybe this should be on the agenda for the meeting next week. 

NotAComputerGuru
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 11:30:47 am »
It's because of the size of the files and the volume of downloads. Some could possibly be converted to HTML, but many are scanned paper documents. If they were jpeg, etc., they'd be just as big.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 03:03:33 pm »
Proposal for the document problem:
Pennock's member "no2pencil" runs a small hosting service. He normally charges $65 a year, but for Fiero people, he will only charge $35 a year. So I propose to buy a site on his server, and for now, place only our documents there, with the links on our existing site automatically going there.
If his service turns out to be reliable, I can eventually move our whole site there. That will save us quite a bit, because PowWeb (our current host) charges about $90 a year.
His company is small, and currently serves only the Akron OH area (but it doesn't matter where the server is -- PowWeb is in California).  That's why I want to see if it works out before changing the site over.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 05:31:15 pm »
Tim is able to log in, but there's no reply button for him.  This is his reply to this:

So... I think Pat's suggestion is good. Give the guy a try (as long as we keep back ups in a separate location, of course, just in case something catastrophic happens with his servers) and open the door to hosting the entire site with him at such a steep discount.

Tim

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 11:03:12 am »
Redraif is also able to log in, but no reply button.  Here's her comment.  If anyone else is having the problem with replying or posting, let Admin know.

Redraif's comment:
I can see the page but am also w/o a reply button. I tried to set a notification but I got an error when I clicked the button. I can see it recognizes me as logged in.

I agree with Tim.... give the guy a chance, but keep back ups or the data on his server.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 02:21:09 pm »
I think I set this area up so that only global moderators can reply.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 03:05:47 pm »
The documents are back. The document page looks the same, but the documents themselves are on the new server.