Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Looking for 88 cradle  (Read 16733 times)

Karidan

• View Profile
Looking for 88 cradle
« on: March 20, 2015, 11:46:48 pm »
Hi everyone,

First post here. My 85se V6 has been out of commission for about a year and I've got some time coming up where I can get her put back together. Since I've got the cradle out I was thinking it would be a good time to look into upgrading to an 88 cradle.

I've located a couple out west and I'm considering pulling the trigger on buying one of them depending on what the freight charges look like tomorrow but I'd much rather get one locally if I can to avoid surprises and a bunch of shipping. Looking at the production numbers of 88 Fieros as a whole I wouldn't think these should be too hard to find but for all I know this is the holy grail of rare parts for these cars nowadays. If anyone has one or info on where I can find one (or that I'm lucky to find the one I found and should buy it) I'd be much obliged.

Also, I run the stock rims and need tires. Apparently the word from the big tire chains is the only company that makes tires in this size anymore wants $700 a set. Sounds pretty steep! I'm not ready to upgrade the wheels to a more modern size yet- any hints on a affordable "for now" set would be great. I had Kauffman tire check the date code on my current tires (Goodyear Eagle GT) and he says they are from 1993. That explains the fabulous 270 degree U turns I suppose  :-\

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Looking for 88 cradle
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 05:33:15 am »
Pullapart has an 88 in the Atlanta East Yard, I think.  Also Tire Rack has suitable tires for your car in size 215-60-14 at about $125 each.  Add about $110 for shipping and install/balance at a local authorized installer. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 07:47:33 pm »
The 88 is at the Lithonia yard.  It probably has everything you would need.  In case you're not aware, some modification to the strut towers has to be made because of the angle of the 88's.  I believe the top perch's are a little more inboard than previous years. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Karidan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 09:14:18 pm »
Thanks for the heads up on the 88 in Lithonia. I'm going to head up there next Sunday and have a look. I need a few other things for other cars I'm working on so if there's no cradle it would probably still be a fruitful trip.

Curious though- have you ever pulled an engine in one of these yards? I can drop a cradle in my own shop easy enough but according to the Pullapart website hoists and jacks aren't permitted. With my luck if the cradle is there it will still have the engine and transaxle on it and it'll be still be attached to the car.

I built a wooden stand with casters to lower the cradle onto (while still in the car- back tires removed) and lift the car off of the cradle using an engine hoist connected to the truck latch. Not sure how that would work in a gravel yard even if the hoist and stand were allowed. Maybe I can support the cradle with something loose in the yard, pop the cradle bolts out and have them lift the body off the cradle with a forklift?

You're right on with the strut tower modification. There is a kit that moves them inboard to the same position as the 88. Just need to drill a couple of holes. Hopefully the donor car is a Formula or GT so I can grab the sway bar brackets as well.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 09:50:28 pm »
I've never dropped a Fiero cradle.  I have seen individuals in the yards that have dropped front wheel drive cradles and engines, but I don't know how they did it.  I think there are some Hang-Arounds that Pullapart will allow to remove your heavy items for a fee to the person.  You might inquire at the front desk.  I know there are over at the North Yard.  One told me he'd drop an engine and cradle for $150.

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 10:36:12 pm »
I'd take $600 for the complete rear suspension of one of my '88s if you want to come remove it. It is missing the long bolts - has threaded rod in their place so that the car can roll around (should be easy to find replacements).
You can PM me or email me at ImThaDriver at yahoo.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 09:10:20 am »
It is missing the long bolts - has threaded rod in their place so that the car can roll around (should be easy to find replacements).

Rodney Dickman has long bolts, of the proper hardness.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Karidan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 09:26:15 pm »
So I got my cradle today but I was sure sad to pull it. I was hoping the 88 Fiero on the East Atlanta PullaPart was a four cylinder base model so I wouldn't feel as bad... but NO it had to be the Fiero I've always wanted -a Red 88 GT  :(

I was really sad to see it in that shape. It hadn't even been wrecked- its like someone parked it and lost interest. Someone beat me to it and grabbed the suspension though so I'm still looking for that. They were nice enough to leave the trailing arms and back brakes though. They also left the engine and trans in the car. Bad news if you need a cradle.

I managed to get it out but it took forever. I borrowed an A frame engine puller from the yard and used it to hold the engine and transmission in place (using old seatbelts tied together!) while I unbolted the cradle from the mounts and removed it. I took some pictures of the car in case someone else needs some parts from it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 10:21:36 pm by Karidan »

Karidan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 10:14:53 pm »
more pics

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 11:22:13 pm »
Looks like a 5-speed.

Did you by chance take a good look at the dash to see if there were any cracks?  I plan to go pull it in the morning and don't want to make a trip for nothing.

I posted a couple of your pictures in the 88 Database Registry on Pennocks.  One of our former members has been building a database of all 88's for many years. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 10:42:04 am »
Roger, I started developing a very bad sore throat on Thursday and now it's turned into a cold but I was going anyway.  I had all my tools together and was ready to go and all of a sudden I've started throwing up.  I won't be going today.  Monday or Tuesday OK with you? 

Karidan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 03:25:51 pm »
I didn't spend a lot of time looking at the dash beyond admiring in what great shape it was in. I think if there had been a crack it would have stood out. Lets say if I needed a dash I wouldn't have hesitated to buy that one myself. Also forgot to mention the trim pieces inside (doors, console) are light blue. The visors were absolutely perfect (also blue). My though was they were either replaced or reconditioned. The headliner was a 9/10 with only slight evidence that water had gotten around the seal or the glass left ajar in the rain. Dome light plastic and buttons looked new. Shifter boot and trim it connects to was there along with the control buttons for the windows and power mirrors. Left sail was shot, rest of the glass looked good. The 5 speed Getrag is still in it along with the shifter cables and linkage. Headlight motors were in place but turning the knobs didn't raise them. Whatever the drivers side headlight motor plugs into was removed. I think all the honeycomb wheels were there and looked to be in good shape. Front brakes are in place but one of the T55 bolts on the driver's side caliper is stripped. Shame too, looks like it has new drilled rotors on the front. The rear wheel bearings are in the trunk. Also, the exhaust past the cat looked perfect. The cat was of course removed. I looked like the muffler had been replaced fairly recently, still had the stock GT tips in place. I put the exhaust on the ground in front of the car beside us so we wouldn't damage it for the next person.

The Y pipe may be tricky to get since I pulled the cradle and left the engine and transaxle hanging by the dogbone. I hated to do that to the next guy but there was literally no other way to remove what I needed with what the yard allowed me to use.

There was another Fiero two or so cars down from the one I was working on that didn't look touched on the outside. It had bumper pads so 84 or 85 maroon in color (or really faded red?)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 03:30:14 pm by Karidan »

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 10:57:15 pm »
...I put the exhaust on the ground in front of the car beside us so we wouldn't damage it for the next person.

I salute you, sir.
So many people go to yards, and just trash what they don't take. They either don't give a damn, and tear things up, getting to what they want, or else they just ruin things just for the sport of it.
Nice job!