Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Installing Led Headlights in a Fiero  (Read 18441 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Installing Led Headlights in a Fiero
« on: May 02, 2015, 01:37:20 pm »
I recently installed LED headlights in my yellow Fiero. I got the idea to do this while looking at the Black Top Racing (formelly TLG) websight, but I actually bought the kit from MyLED.com. Before you can install the kit, you need to replace your sealed beam headlights with housings that let you use H4 bulbs. You can get these housings from many sources, including Black Top Racing, the Fiero Store, and Ebay.

Before I got though the steps to install the kit, let's take a close look at the H4 bulb.

In the bulb are two filaments (they look like little springs). The one closest to the tip is the low beam filament. You can see that there is a little shield that blocks half the light from it. When the bulb is installed, the shield is on the bottom, so that the light only shines up, where it strikes the housing's reflector, and bounces down to the road. That's why the low beam primarily lights the road right in front of you.
The other filament (high beam) is not shielded, so it's light hits all the reflector surfaces, and shines straight ahead.

Below is the LED assembly that replaces the H4 bulb.

The two little round bumps are the LED's. The one on the bottom in the picture is the low beam LED, and it is actually on top when the bulb is mounted. It shines up, just like the H4 low beam filament. But this means that the high beam LED, which will be on the bottom, will only shine down. The LED system makes up for this by leaving the low beam LED on when you are switched to high beam. (You can't do this with the incandescent bulb -- leave both filaments on -- or you'd blow a fuse.)

You'll notice a little threaded stub on the back end of the assembly. That's to hold a small fan, meant to cool the assembly

The kit also comes with a little power box for each bulb. There's a connector that plugs into your existing light socket, and two smaller connectors that plug into the LED bulb and the little fan.

I mounted the power box on a flat place behind the headlight that seemed to be just made for it.

With everything installed, and the wires connected, it looks like this:

I turned it on, and it worked fine. But I don't like the idea of a little fan, which could ingest junk,or fail. And if you put the rubber dust boot on, the fan is blocked, and can't move any air. So I thought of a better way.
First, I turned on the lights, and left them on for a while, to see how warm they got. I noticed that the fan doesn't spin very fast, so not much cooling is needed.

So I drilled and tapped a small heat sink, and put it on instead of the fan. And now I am able to put the rubber boot on.

The lights don't seem that much brighter (LED on the driver's side in this picture), but the whiter light makes it easier to see at night.

If you want to do this mod, I bought 10 of those little heat sinks, and can provide you with drilled and tapped ones.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

f85gtron

• View Profile
Re: Installing Led Headlights in a Fiero
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 04:18:01 pm »
Very nice!  I wonder what the service life is in application?  Blue/white light is much easier to see at night.
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 05:54:18 pm »
Very nice!  I wonder what the service life is in application?  Blue/white light is much easier to see at night.

I imagine that the lights will still be good long after the car is dead.

MaxswellSpy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 11:48:49 pm »
Will definitely be doing this. Have been looking for a good solution to the bulbs

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 07:23:09 am »
How are the lights holding up?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 09:37:47 am »
They are holding up quite well. However, that particular model is no longer available. I'll have to take a picture of the ones I put in the silver Formula. They are the kind you can get now.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 02:42:56 pm »
Which h4 housing did you choose?  What would you recommend from your experience?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 02:47:00 pm »
I got the H4 housings from Ebay. Cheap, but the work just fine. They are plastic, and I think the more expensive ones may be glass (Black Top Racing or the Fiero Store).

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 05:26:22 pm »
I was looking for the glass ones but can't remember the manufacturer.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 07:01:09 am »
Well, inspired by Top Notch, I took the plunge. I spent a whopping $80 smackeroos on a popular auction site and got glass h4 housings and led bulbs! 

The bulbs are supposed to be 6500k lights and 4500 lumens each.  Expected life span is 50k hours. 
The first thing I noticed, comparing the two lights, was the impression I had in my driveway that the led light didn't appear as bright, but once they where aimed and i pulled out onto the street, I was blown away at how they where focused and lit up everything so much better and clearer!  I was shocked at the difference!
The old lights broadcasted a dirty light. In the am frequency realm, we say it's over-modulated. The light is bleeding all over the place.

If you'll take a good look, you'll notice the old light lights up just about everything around the garage, even the eves! They're more like flood lights!

The new lights are a true white light and the lenses keep it focused in a specific pattern, which tricked my eyes at first to thinking that they weren't as bright, but that's not the case, they're just better.

The new lights are a cleaner pattern and light. The combination broadcasts a sharper, more focused pattern that does not light up the eves!

The change over from lows to brights is instantaneous and kept me occupied for a few minutes just flipping hi to low, hi, low... 

Installation was a little simpler than Top Notch's because this set came without a fan, but a huge heat sink that didn't fit through the headlight bucket. But that was a simple matter of bending the bucket plug access a hair to allow the heat sink through. That's the only modification, the rest was plug n' play.

The final install is simple. Took all of ten minutes.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 02:34:21 pm by f85gtron »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 07:09:31 am »
Did you use a heat sink, also?

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 07:28:44 am »
Did you use a heat sink, also?

Yup. The heat sink is integral to the bulb. It sticks out the back of the housing and resides where the plug used to be. I'll get a pic posted of the setup in-car as soon as I venture outside when the sun's up.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 09:17:03 am »
The bulbs I used in this thread are not in the car anymore. In the fast moving world of electronic devices, they are rather old fashioned. I have better ones in the car now.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 09:51:54 am »
How many lumens and what brightness?  How do you like the light from your new ones?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 10:26:56 am »
I'm not sure, but they're bright. I had to aim the headlights down a bit from what they were with the old bulbs, so I wouldn't blind people in low beam.