Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Got Engines?  (Read 15127 times)

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Got Engines?
« on: May 20, 2015, 04:32:48 pm »
Never heard of these guys.  Anyone know anything about them?
http://www.gotengines.com/blog/pontiac-engines/fiero-28-v6-engine

I asked for a quote on a 3.8L SC and received the pricing below.  What else is needed other than the engine, knowledge, money, and time?
QUOTE #:   6935489
Vehicle/Part:   2002 Pontiac Grand Prix / Used Engine - 3.8L supercharged option (VIN 1, 8th digit)
Price:   $1380.00 (Used Engine) 3 Year Parts and labor warranty image included
Shipping:   Free Shipping in all U.S. states except HI & AK
(*There is a $75 charge for all residential deliveries)
Mileage:   ~64,244 miles
Notes:   supercharger included -We Ship Low Mileage Used Engines Nationwide Daily!-
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Got Engines?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 05:15:17 pm »
Some of the 3800SC's are better for Fiero transplants than others.  Better, meaning less work.  I think some of the later years use fly-by-wire throttle bodies and earlier models use cable actuated.  I'm not sure when they changed over, but our old 2000 GP GT used a throttle cable. 

At a minimum you would need the ECM and complete harness.  It's a little easier going into a manual than an automatic.  Of course, you would need special engine mounts, custom piping, flywheel and clutch, bucks and someone to do that job.  Currently, I don't know of anyone in the Georgia Fiero Community that could do the swap.  'Cept maybe Raydar has the knowledge.  He can likely tell you more about what's needed.  He's done a lot with his cars, especially the 88 4.9. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 05:47:16 pm »
An engine swap goes into another Fiero and years away.  Just curious what would be required in addition to the engine. 

Have you heard anything, good or bad, about GotEngines.com?

Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 05:50:44 pm »
Thought I heard my name called...  :P
I've never done a 3800. And I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn, last night.
I've read a bunch about them, though. Even remembered some of it.
Charlie pretty much nailed it.
The story is that if you use a Fiero manual tranny, you will likely only need the mount that goes on the front (accessory side) of the engine, and a custom dog bone/alternator bracket. Stock mounts will fit, on the trans, but you probably want to go with something sturdier, since even stock 2.8s will shred our mounts, given enough time. If you retain the trans that came with the 3800 (which a lot of people recommend) you'll need custom mounts all around. It's quite do-able, either way.

You will need custom headers or a muffler/exhaust with tight bends that bolts to the stock manifold (which sort of points at the trunk, unfortunately.)
You will need a RWD 3800 flywheel that's been machined down to the correct thickness (.84 inch, I think, but please don't depend on my info. It's out there, elsewhere.) That will pretty much provide space for a stock clutch, which may or may not hold up.
There are lots of aftermarket choices out there. I won't make any suggestions, since I'm having issues with my "previously favorite" clutch option, just now. May be a non-issue or a big issue. I'm not sure yet.
You'll need to have a harness built, and probably have the 3800 PCM reprogrammed. Phonedawgs was doing harnesses, but appears to have screwed at least one person on Pennocks, so I wouldn't recommend him. Darth Fiero, aka Sinister Performance seems to have the best rep, in terms of programming.

If I remember correctly, all of the Series IIs were cable operated, and all of the Series IIIs were fly by wire. The series IIIs had something like 260 HP, compared to the Series IIs 240 (I think) mostly due to a different supercharger. People that want to run those with cable throttles have adapted Northstar throttle bodies, and used Series 2 PCMs.
Ideally, whatever you do, you want a 98 or later Series II PCM. They are reputed to be easier to program/modify.

The W-Body (Grand Prix, Regal, Monte Carlo etc.) engines require a bit less "cobbling" to get them into a Fiero. The Bonneville and Park Avenue require a different tensioner and oil filter adapter, where the W bodies don't.
If I was going to do a 3800, I would look for one from a Regal. Their target audience seems to baby them and have the dealer maintain them, as opposed to GPs and Monte Carlos, that tend to get beat on like rented mules. :D

Maybe too much info. And again... it's all "hear-say". I've never done one.
My next project will be a 3900, from a G6 or Impala, if I can sell my other project.

Edit - The first I've heard of "gotengines.com" was on another forum, this morning.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 06:17:36 pm »
Told you Raydar would have some good info. 

I've never heard of Got Engines, either.  I looked up some reviews  https://www.google.com/search?q=gotengines+com+reviews&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8  and read one in particular about Pi**ed and one person stated that the warranty doesn't start until the engine is installed and has 501 miles on it.  He questioned what would you do if it was bad out of the box like the BMW purchaser found.  Blown head gaskets, bad intake and stripped head bolts, wrong engine, parts missing were just come of the complaints. 

One said that Got Engines wouldn't refund shipping for either direction and I believe he said the problems was their fault. 

You probably could go to a 3800 NA with a few goodies on it and come up to near or betterthan the 240 HP of a SC and still have a more trouble-free engine.  There's lots of aftermarket support for either of the 3800's. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers