Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Started digital cruise upgrade. any wiring advice?  (Read 20687 times)

f85gtron

• View Profile
Re: Started digital cruise upgrade. any wiring advice?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 07:18:46 am »
Ive looked at both sets of instructions...... what is the deal with the speed o meter? does the vss output need to be change or not. Seems to be very confusing to me.
I'm sorry Scott, i must have missed this post. I didn't see it until you posted the next one.....
Looks like the buffer might be in order to clean the signal up. It needs to be a certain type signal (either square or sine) for the cruise control to pickup on it. I built a buffer for my Speedo when I installed the f23 and it's really easy.

Does yours have factory cruise originally?  I used the original wiring as much as possible because I already had factory cruise.  I stole the Speedo signal off the connector under the armrest, if I remember right, then ran it via jumper wire up the tunnel to the front where the cruise brains used to be by my ft.
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 09:08:27 am »
No worries Ron

According to Oliver's write up, you dont need a buffer if you jumper the signal on the back of the speedometer. He says to jumper off of a pin on the board to an unused slot on the connector. Apparently the terminals in the connector were available after market at one time, but not anymore that I can find. I think I am going to hook a wire up to the back of the board and use a connector thingy to be able to disconnect it if I ever have to take the speedometer out again. Not sure if this makes sense...... I have a fine collections of hammers, I will fix it one way or the other.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 11:56:43 am »
No worries Ron

..... I have a fine collections of hammers, I will fix it one way or the other.

THAT'S THE SPIRIT!

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 05:39:09 pm »
Ok Ron, more confusion on my end...... It says to cut the yellow and black wire at the cruise brake switch and run that to the brown wire on the clutch switch. Cut the yellow/black or jumper it to the brown clutch switch? If the yellow/black is cut that leaves 2 yellow wires in 1 terminal of the brake switch? Makey no sense to me. Which way is correct.... or do I get the hammers?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2017, 05:50:10 pm »
Get the hammers.  Go to the mattresses.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 08:21:12 pm »
Ok Ron, more confusion on my end...... It says to cut the yellow and black wire at the cruise brake switch and run that to the brown wire on the clutch switch. Cut the yellow/black or jumper it to the brown clutch switch? If the yellow/black is cut that leaves 2 yellow wires in 1 terminal of the brake switch? Makey no sense to me. Which way is correct.... or do I get the hammers?
That's the part i skipped because it sounded wonkey at best, but after an unsuccessful non-victorious lap around the expressway, I decided to throw caution to the wind and do as Oliver says.  My next lap was victory lap and all is well.  It works somehow.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2017, 04:35:59 am »
Almost done. I still need to figure out where to pick up the brake signal from. I would like to pick it up from outside the passenger compartment, just not sure which wire it is.

I have a couple of wires left over in the plugs too..... on the original connector terminal B (brown) is not used? And terminal C is black ground that is not used?

On the new connector I have nothing connected to terminals G, J and K. I believe he said J was for the dash light, did I miss something on G and K?

any and all advice is appreciated

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2017, 06:54:34 am »
Hi Scott,
In the home stretch!
G will connect to the new brake signal relay term 30. It's a normally open circuit that has to show activity (close sometimes) to allow the rest of the cruise logic to initiate.

J-cruise light signal ground (not important)

K- Speedo signal (very important!)  Either snatch from ecm or back of Speedo.

Brake signal to relay (notchies)- i stole power from the trunk fan circuit in the trunk, then the brake signal from the interrupt solenoid, and the ground from the extra ground wire that wasn't being used in the original servo plug. I'll look for my notes and report back. I had to go outside the instructions a bit to get it to work. Standby......

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2017, 02:18:40 pm »
So which point on the throttle body does the cruise control cable get attached to? The top with the throttle cable or the bottom one?
1985 2M6 SE, 1986 GT x 2.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2017, 05:46:42 pm »
I think it is the bottom point.... the throttle cable goes from the bottom up so that when it pulls the throttle opens...... I can get a picture tomorrow and send it to your phone ( I still aint figured out to put pictures on this thingy)

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2017, 05:55:38 pm »
one more wire to go..... The only wire that is giving me difficulty is how to get the brake signal to the cruise module. Olivers instructions say to pull off the brake light...... That didn't make sense to me because using a turn signal would kill the cruise..... Ron and I were talking and he said the fastbacks have a different harness (1 wire each for the brake light and blinker) I didn't not know that since have I never had a fast back (Notchbacks Rule!) Since my car has the 3rd brake light I am going to pull a signal off of that to send to the new cruise module. What say ya'll?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2017, 08:11:48 pm »
3rd brake light is the way to go.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2017, 10:03:21 pm »
So which point on the throttle body does the cruise control cable get attached to? The top with the throttle cable or the bottom one?

Did you just figure out why yours wasn't working? ;)

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2017, 10:05:46 pm »
Scott, I'm be thinking that the third brake wiring can be accessed around the e-brake. You might be able to splice in there.

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2017, 01:36:16 am »
Not as of yet, but Im plugging away at it as I would really like it to work. I have power to all the wires when Im supposed to have it, so the problem must be with the cable. Unless Im really out in left field which could be true also.
1985 2M6 SE, 1986 GT x 2.