Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: IT folks - Jobs in Augusta GA  (Read 15395 times)

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
IT folks - Jobs in Augusta GA
« on: September 03, 2015, 09:12:01 am »
ATTENTION all my fellow IT folks: There are 2 IT Field Operations jobs that are currently open in the Augusta area! We are looking for folks with data transport experience and that are willing to work in the Augusta area. This is a golden opportunity to get your foot in the door with Southern Company. I can tell you from first hand experience that there are a lot of career opportunities and projects to allow your skills to shine. If you bore easily and are stuck in a rut in your current job, then apply with us! A field tech is never bored and the current climate at the company is one of transition both in technology and people. Its an exciting time to join our TEAM! Interested? Then go to the Southern Company career page and apply. You will need an updated resume and will be asked several in depth questions. Take your time and answer those questions fully! Need more info? PM me.

f85gtron

• View Profile
Re: IT folks - Jobs in Augusta GA
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 01:51:55 pm »
My cb handle is "Geek Squad".  What other qualifiers do you need?!
I have no certifications. Just street cred.  But highly initiated in Cisco hardware. (Not by choice).  Hmmm. 
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 02:24:21 pm »
pm sent.
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 05:14:48 pm »
To answer some questions that I have received...

The job that's advertised internally is in Evans. Possibly might be at 15th Street in Augusta. It's Southern Company / Georgia Power. The external posting may or may not specify. According to my friend who posted about this on FB (who used to do this job, BTW) there are two job openings.
The job involves maintenance (and some installation, etc.) of our digital microwave radios; fiber optics equipment; communications equipment for electric substations (Usually Cisco Grid Routers or "819" wireless routers, or MDS 900 MHz radio links; transceivers and cellular modems for our automated metering system. (NO house calls. ;) );  modems, CSUs, DSUs, channel banks, blah-blah-blah...

If you have any kind of telecommunications background, or especially a General Class FCC Operator's license (or the equivalent) it would be helpful. Military telecom background would also probably be useful, but certainly isn't a requirement. Might be a good foot in the door...

I don't have any kind of hiring capacity in this job. Just sharing.
I used to do a similar job, about ten years ago. Now I work in the Ops Center that monitors those systems.

I'm not sure about the money. But I worked for Motorola for ten years, prior to coming on with Georgia Power. Changing to GPC got me an instant 15% raise. Not shabby at all. Never looked back.

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 02:30:25 pm »

Can you post a link to the job?  I didn't see Augusta listed in any of the openings.
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 05:44:23 pm »
It might show as "Evans".
Let me look and see...

Edit - Here it is. Let me know if it doesn't work.
https://southerncompany.taleo.net/careersection/cs_eh/joblist.ftl
Go to this page and find the "IT Field Ops Technician" in East GA - Evans.

There are also some Instrumentation Tech jobs open at Plant Vogtle in Waynesboro.
It's a real pain in the ass (no other way to describe it) to gain physical access to Vogtle, however, since it's a nuke plant. Not sure how that will affect the day-to-day employee, however.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 05:52:18 pm by Raydar »

fiero128

• Giday from Aussie land
    • View Profile
    • http://hawkesburyhydrogen.com
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 07:32:34 am »
whats my chances at getting a job in the USA
Hawkesbury Hydrogen
More Km perTank
saving money
ABN 98866913657
+61412119530
+61448119310
+61245672275

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 12:50:35 pm »
As long as you have the proper paperwork to make yourself "legal", I don't think it would be a problem. They WILL check...

fiero128

• Giday from Aussie land
    • View Profile
    • http://hawkesburyhydrogen.com
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 12:23:20 am »
So I need a green card.
I need a Visa.
what else do i need?
Hawkesbury Hydrogen
More Km perTank
saving money
ABN 98866913657
+61412119530
+61448119310
+61245672275

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 01:57:44 pm »
Beyond that, I'm not sure. I know nothing about immigration law.
As long as you're authorized to work here, and meet all the minimum requirements, you shouldn't have any trouble being considered. But then again, I'm not in any kind of position where my opinion matters. (NOT in a hiring position for this job.)
You might try contacting Human Resources at Southern Company. Just ask them what you need.
These positions usually (but not always) specify an FCC General Class license "or equivalent", although they are NOT required by law, here, any longer. I'm assuming you have some sort of RF communications certification, similar to that, since you worked on commercial two-way. If so, it will probably be taken into consideration.