Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Need guidance on Kindle purchase  (Read 15414 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Need guidance on Kindle purchase
« on: November 04, 2015, 10:03:30 am »
Posting on the forum because Melanie doesn't read it.  It's the only place I can keep a secret from her. 

A number of times she's said that she'd like to have a Kindle.  So, I thought it would be a good Christmas gift for her.  I have little knowledge of hand-held devices, including my cell phone, but I've asked a couple of people about Kindles.

Based on bits and pieces I've been told, I am looking for the following features.  It seems most are Mac based, but I'd like a Windows based Kindle.  Full featured as I'm not opposed to paying a good price for it.  I'm told some can be attached to a printer.  If so, that's what I'd like.  It should have WiFi capabilities and a large screen.  If they have cameras, that would be a plus. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Need guidance on Kindle purchase
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 10:45:41 am »
It depends on what she wants to do with it as to what kind of Kindle to get. If she only wants to read books, the basic Kindle will do. If she also wants to play games or watch videos, get a Kindle Fire.
Kindles are neither Mac nor Windows. They are a kind of Android, although somewhat limited (in my opinion) compared to generic Android. Linda has a Kindle Fire, and I have a Google Nexus 7 Android tablet.
I think (but am not sure) that with a Kindle, you can only get your books and videos from Amazon. With my Nexus 7, I can get them from Amazon or from Google Play, and other sources.
However, the Kindle will be much easier to use for a non-technical person.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 11:14:18 am »
I will ask Tammy. She has had a regular Kindle and a Kindle Fire, I believe.
She is fairly familiar with most of what they will do. I'm not sure when she used them last, as she has an iPad that will do everything she wants.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 11:39:35 am »
Melanie isn't a gamer except Farmville.  None of the high tech action packed things with controllers, so she doesn't need that capability.  She does want to download The Bible to make it easier and faster to pull up the Pastor's message scripture.  Maybe some other books, too.  I know she wanted WiFi so she can replace her laptop and pick up wireless from our router.  She wants picture capabilities, both storage and camera and she said she'd like to have something to hook to our printer so she doesn't have to send things to me to be printed.  She would prefer to print some of our medical and financial stuff through a direct connection rather than transmitting it over the internet. 

Right now she uses a small folding breakfast table in her lap as she sits in her recliner.  It's difficult for her to get up and down with it, so a hand-held device would be much easier.  I really do't know enough about them to know what questions to ask. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 02:00:03 pm »
There are several Bible apps for Kindle Fire, that include several translations. Check out this Youtube video.
For Android tablets, probably the best Bible app is MySword for Android (free from Google Play). It also has several translations and other features.
If you have a wireless printer, you can probably get an app for any tablet to support it. I've never tried hooking up a tablet to a printer by wire, though, so I can't help there.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GrannyLinda

• I'm On The Right Track Baby, I WAS BORN THIS WAY !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 02:02:29 pm »
My Kindle Fire Up Loads Music, Audio Books, Regular Books,
Miscellaneous Apps, Games, And I Think It Supports A Jump Drive.
I Can Also Shop On It.
I Hope This Helps.     
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 08:35:57 pm by GrannyLinda »
I'm On The Right Track Baby !!!!
I WAS BORN THIS WAY !!!!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 07:23:37 pm »
Thank you all.  Keep the information coming.  I'm still not decided or knowledgeable enough to make a choice. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 08:16:01 am »
So...what did you get?  Somehow, I gathered you had an ipad.

I think the 2013 Nexus 7 tablet was a great tablet, even though it doesn't have any was to add storage.  The 2012 Nexus 7 tablet, not so much.  Android allows a lot of customization.  Your tablet can be yours, uniquely.  I prefer stock Android, without all the bloatware added by many manufacturers.

If all you're doing is reading books from Amazon, the basic Kindle paperwhite is fine, with good battery life.  In general, I'm not a fan of the Kindle series.  As TopNotch said, they are very limited, but I don't like the user interface.  The Kindle is a sortof Android, but is not compatible with everything Android.  Amazon tries to force you to use their app store, rather then the Google Play store.

Stay clear of the essentially useless Nook.

All tablets can be made to print wirelessly.  I've never tried wired printing from them.  Why bother?  Tablets are meant to be wireless.  I prefer a paid app called PrinterShare.  As of 4.4, Android does have a built-in printing app.  I don't use it.

Then there's the ithings.  Ipads are limited to Apple, and their app functions are also limited.  Customization is almost nil, although some features (like folders and live wallpaper) from Android are slowly being adopted.  Most of the ”customization” is limited to covers.  Note that ithings do not play well with others.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 11:57:58 am »
I gave her a Samsung Galaxy Tab A.  She can download her books and her bible.  It makes it very easy to find those small unknown books in the bible. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 06:02:02 pm »
Cool.  8” or 10”?

I use a 10” Android tablet mainly, but I have an 11” Windows tablet, an 8” Windows tablet, and a 7” Android tablet.  The 8” tablet is a bit big for my hand, but the 7” is a good fit for 1-handed reading.

The 2013 Nexus 7 is a bigger, heavier tablet than the Kindle paperwhite.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 09:04:21 pm »
It's a 10".  We have northing but a few apps on it.  No need to print from it because we don't have any documents and Mel does banking from her laptop.  Tegan loves it for watching NetFlix. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 09:13:12 pm »
Yeah, NetFlix is great.  Mine does just about everything from boards like this, to email, to remote work, to printing, to youtube, to FTP, to google movies, to various network functions.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 10:11:51 pm »
I have all my Fiero sites bookmarked on it, plus my emails so I can take it with me and not have to squint at a tiny phone screen.