Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 2016 Run For The Hills # 21  (Read 29748 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
2016 Run For The Hills # 21
« on: March 09, 2016, 06:01:42 pm »
I've laid out a route beginning in Clayton, Ga.  It begins with the famous Warwoman Road, and takes in Bridal Veil Falls, Fontana Dam, The Dragon, Foothills Parkway, River Road and ends up in Pigeon Forge. 

Google says that it's 5 hours without traffic.  I would expect that with stops at Bridal Veil, lunch, rest stops and whatever, that it should take us about 7-8 hours.  Leaving Clayton at 9 would put us into Pigeon Forge at about 5, just in time to get checked in to the hotel and go to dinner. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

f85gtron

• View Profile
Re: 2016 Run For The Hills # 21
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 07:53:20 pm »
HOPEFULLY we won't get stuck behind a slow moving Cadillac this year in the Dragon!  That sucked, but probably saved me from wrecking.
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 08:10:39 pm »
One year a Honda Gold Wing 3-wheeler purposely held us under 30 mph for the whole distance of The Dragon.  He refused to pull over.  The lead Fiero depleted his air horn.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 06:57:02 pm »
I saw on the Events Calendar that there's a tentative scouting run for April.  My calendar is full and my wallet is empty for April.  Can we possibly put it off until May 28 and not do a cruise-in for May?

I promise you that this will be a day full of nothing but curves until we get back to Cherokee, North Carolina.  We will start in Northeast Georgia and end up in Pigeon Forge. 

Any artists?  I need art or suggestions for the event T-shirt.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 07:39:29 pm »
Can the trial run be moved up a weekend? The 28th is Memorial Day weekend, I'm planning on being out of town that weekend.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 10:35:48 pm »
I didn't realize it was Memorial Day weekend.  Is there enough interest in the trial run to move it up to the 21st?  Anyone plan to go other than Scott and I?  I think Dave said he would drive my 87 now that it's fixed.  Work allowing.

GrannyLinda

• I'm On The Right Track Baby, I WAS BORN THIS WAY !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 03:30:30 pm »
The 21st. Of May ?
I'm On The Right Track Baby !!!!
I WAS BORN THIS WAY !!!!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 05:00:42 pm »
The 21st of May of 2016.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 03:34:13 pm »
I won't be able to make the May meeting because some close friends are getting married on the 14th. 

The trial run on the 21st will kick off at 9am sharp from the Ingles parking lot on US441 in Clayton, Ga.  If you don't think you can make it on time and want to intercept us elsewhere email georgiafieroclub@gmail.com for route information.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 01:26:44 pm »
I'm going to need to know who's going on the trial run, and you can let me know at Saturday's meeting.
Personally, if my back problem isn't better by then, I'm not going. Although the Fiero is quite comfortable, even with the back problem, if anything should happen requiring me to walk (engine problem, out of gas, etc.), well, currently walking is out of the question.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 01:45:32 pm »
There should be no reason for you having to walk. Someone will have an empty seat. 

I plan on going, of course, and may take along a passenger.  I've offered Dave my 87 if he doesn't have to work.  I've worked out several routes, in part, depending upon the weather.  If rainy, we will take Happy Valley Road instead of Foothills Parkway to avoid the possibility of getting into heavy cloud cover. 

I'll print out some route sheets and have them at the starting point in Clayton. 

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 04:55:28 pm »
While I REALLY want to go, I may have to hold off until the actual run. My motor has been progressing slowly. It thinks it's too big for the car, but never fear, I've got a shoe horn that says otherwise;)
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

guitarfreak235

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 10:27:58 am »
I want to go on the trial/scouting run. Has it officially been moved to the 21st?
I am still figuring out if it will work to come to the meeting tomorrow

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 10:43:32 am »
I want to go on the trial/scouting run. Has it officially been moved to the 21st?

Yes, the 21st. You should be in Clayton, GA at 9 AM. It should take you a little over 2 hours to get there from Spartanburg SC.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 01:17:37 pm »

I want us to be gassed up and ready to pull out by 9am on the morning of the 21st.

We will meet at the Ingles Markets Grocery Store Shopping Center in Clayton, Ga.
176 US-441, Clayton, GA 30525

There is an Ingles Express gas station at that location.  There's also a BP station next to it.

Everyone should bring an FRS radio.  Be sure they're fully charged or bring batteries.

If anyone doesn't make it there on time, they can still intercept us along the route.  Going North on Hwy 28 out of Franklin, NC, also known as Bryson City Road, there's what used to be a Citgo Gas Station.  It's now called the Village Trader
The Address is
453 Bryson City Rd, Franklin, NC 28734

Our path from start up to this point will be:

WarWoman Road out of the Ingles Parking Lot.
Turn left at the end of WarWoman Road onto Hwy 28.
Follow Hwy 28 through Highlands, NC and continue North through Franklin.

If anyone is too late to intercept us at this point, the next reasonable place is at:
Lynns Place Restaurant
237 E Main St, Robbinsville, NC 28771
We will have lunch there.

We will return to Hwy 28, continue up through Fontana Village, passing Fontana Dam and will grab The Dragon's Tail at the very tip where Hwy 28 and US 129 meet.

Travel through The Dragon's Tail, pick up the Foothills Parkway about 3 miles north and follow it over to US 321 in Townsend.

If anyone hasn't hooked up with us by the time we leave Robbinsville lunch stop, it's just too late to try to join.

Our final destination will be Gatlinburg, TN.  Depending upon time and traffic and consensus of participants, we may visit a hotel to set up event accommodations.

Return from Gatlinburg via US Hwy 441 through Cherokee, NC to Gainesville or Commerce, Ga. is about 3 hours.

Google Maps trip plotter suggests about 5 1/2 hours from Clayton to Gatlinburg.  Don't believe it for one moment.  It will be more like 7 hours.