Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Introduction and my misc items  (Read 48271 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction and my misc items
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2017, 08:32:45 pm »
We had rain today.  Torrents.  Cats and dogs.

I used to have a friend in Germany I would chat with, who said that the expression there is "It's raining ribbons". Good translators of English material would translate "It's raining cats and dogs" to "It's raining ribbons" (in German, of course). But bad translators would translate it literally, and many Germans wouldn't know what to make of that.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2017, 08:35:24 pm »
I think the ”cats and dogs” expression is not commonly used.  There's a term for expressions like that, but it escapes me at the moment.

”ribbons” in that context would have made no sense to me.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2017, 08:40:42 pm »
There's a term for expressions like that, but it escapes me at the moment.

They're called "idioms".
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2017, 08:46:47 pm »
I meant terms that have fallen out of vogue.  Yes, the expressions themselves are idioms.  Once, for a test, I gave the definition of idioms as ”people who don't know the definitions of words commonly used by other people”.

GrannyLinda

• I'm On The Right Track Baby, I WAS BORN THIS WAY !
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2017, 09:39:59 am »
When It Rains, It Pours = Really Bad Luck !
I'm On The Right Track Baby !!!!
I WAS BORN THIS WAY !!!!

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2017, 05:30:14 pm »
Yesterday, a lot of good things happened.  Supper was good, although my son still doesn't believe me about the blooming onion.  I showed my son the brake parts on my truck, and explained what happened.  I don't recall how the conversation started, but my son asked me about a relay.  I got to explain function and common applications of relays.  The kids passed a spelling test I gave them.  The dog finally lifted his leg to pee.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2017, 06:56:10 pm »
My family changed parishes.  After a few weeks of attending, we were asked to attend the OMG.  Seriously.  Not the start of a joke.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2017, 09:32:49 am »
Have you ever clicked on a thread with a subject that you're interested in, hoping for more info, only to realize that it's a thread you started, specifically to obtain that info?  I've done it 3 times, just on this forum.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 10:08:41 am by tshark »

GrannyLinda

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2017, 09:44:44 am »
My family changed parishes.  After a few weeks of attending, we were asked to attend the OMG.  Seriously.  Not the start of a joke.

Soon After Topnotch And I Moved Into Our Current Home,
We Went Looking For A New Church Home.
The First Church We Went To Asked Us NOT To Come Back !
I WAS BORN THIS WAY !!!!

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2017, 10:07:58 am »
Soon After Topnotch And I Moved Into Our Current Home,
We Went Looking For A New Church Home.
The First Church We Went To Asked Us NOT To Come Back !

What?!!!  That's terrible!  I do not understand how anyone who believes in a loving, forgiving Diety can also so wholly reject their fellow man.  We changed parishes because, during Easter season, the pastor told me ”you are the spawn of Satan.  Your thoughts and ideas aren't welcome [here]”.  I don't know what cause they gave you, but for me, I had privately told the pastor that I didn't want more Latin, which is what he was pushing.  As a result, he kicked me out of the choir in a very public manner, used me in several homilies, humiliated me in front of my kids (scaring them in the process), denounced me behind my back to the choir, and threatened me with lawyers.

Some places just aren't a good fit.  We tried one parish, but the ceiling was too low.  Supposedly built like Noah's Ark.  The Noah's Ark restaurant didn't even make it.  Anyway, this parish was comprised of characters.  Not characters like country people.  These people proudly wore their character.  At a costume party, or some international state event, this would have been fine, but I'm not into plumage at church.  Then the pastor started on politics.  In point of fact, I think everyone there agreed with him, but I don't want to hear politics at church.  Not a good fit for me.

I think the key words are ”church home”.  Honestly, I'm having a hard time feeling like any church is home.

Apparently, OMG stands for Our Monthly Gathering.  It's a dinner.  Tonight, in fact.  I had a very different idea of what the expanded acronym OMG was.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 02:53:02 pm by tshark »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2017, 10:41:36 am »
I frequently hear political issues being brought up at church.  Not so much from the pulpit, but more often from my Sunday School teacher.  Though I may have some decided opinions on the subjects, I don't comment.  Like you, I don't want politics in my religious beliefs, nor my religion telling me what I should do politically.  I don't get involved with the church politics.  Though last year I served on the Budget Committee and a search committee, and have been asked to serve on the Budget Committee again this year, I stay out of the other social issues. 

My Father-In-Law was well versed on the Bible, but did not attend church.  My Mother-In-Law did, along with several of the 7 kids.  Four were Baptist, one Lutheran, and two Catholic.  They chose their own church.  My Mother-In-Law received a letter from the Baptist Church where she was a member.  The next Sunday was the only time my Father-In-Law attended church.  He interrupted the whole service and delivered a scalding sermon to the Minister, in front of the whole congregation. 

The letter was in regards to the fact that my Father-In-Law had gotten a raise.  The church felt that in light of that raise, they would have to increase their tithing or lose their pew seating in the church.   
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2017, 10:59:28 am »
I don't attend any church on a regular basis. We occasionally attend an Episcopal church with friends, however. (I find the people - and the clergy - there to be very nice, and very genuine.)
I do pray daily, however. I am a Christian. (I describe myself as a "recovering catholic.") My faith is between me and my God.

I believe that any church that engages in politics should lose its tax-exempt status. No exceptions.

GrannyLinda

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2017, 01:02:20 pm »
I don't attend any church on a regular basis. We occasionally attend an Episcopal church with friends, however. (I find the people - and the clergy - there to be very nice, and very genuine.)
I do pray daily, however. I am a Christian. (I describe myself as a "recovering catholic.") My faith is between me and my God.

I believe that any church that engages in politics should lose its tax-exempt status. No exceptions.

I Too Am A Lapsed Catholic.
I Do Not Attend Any Church Because I Refuse To Sit In A Room With 200 + Weekend Warriors.
I Am A God Fearing Christian
God Is The Only One Who Can Judge Me.
I Pray Everyday.
Pat Is Church Of Christ I Do Not Prevent Him From Attending Church.     
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 01:07:28 pm by GrannyLinda »
I WAS BORN THIS WAY !!!!

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2017, 02:06:40 pm »

BINGO!

I was on a panel a while back with some other lay people, an athiest, an agnostic, a pagan, and ministers of various faiths.  We all had to identify our beliefs up front, then we were asked questions.  I identified as me, which generated an instant argument.  I elaborated that my faith was between God and myself.  The moderators asked a bunch of questions.  I'll just say that the results weren't expected, at all.  Coming up, I've been asked to give a talk about witness.  I have mixed feelings about this.

I didn't intend to turn this into a discussion about religion, but I think it's safe to say that a lot of people have been turned off by religion.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 02:19:48 pm by tshark »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2017, 02:27:38 pm »
I will be doing some day travel by air soon.  Inside joke, but as usual, I refused to take United, because United breaks guitars.