Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: GTA Polar Bear Run  (Read 15692 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
GTA Polar Bear Run
« on: December 16, 2016, 09:56:26 pm »
From the Georgia Triumph Association:

This year’s Polar Bear Run will be on December 31st.  We will meet at the Starbucks at 12330 Crabapple Road, Alpharetta, GA 30004 at 10:00am. After a short drivers’ meeting we will take an enjoyable route to the Georgia Racing Hall of Fame in Dawsonville.  More details will be sent through email.  (Please make sure your email address is up to date)
What is the Polar Bear Run? It’s close to a 2 hour drive through the winding roads of North Georgia in the dead of winter. Top down if you like! Also attached to the Georgia Racing Hall of Fame is the Dawsonville Moonshine Distillery that conducts tours if you are so inclined.
The PBR benefits The ALS Association of Georgia In memory of long time GTA member Susan Ferguson.  A suggested donation of $10 per car will be collected at the start location. We welcome all donations though no donation is required to participate in this event.

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

scottb

• View Profile
Re: GTA Polar Bear Run
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 04:26:08 pm »
I will be there unless I go to SC ........ anyone else? Pat? Charlie? Steve? Ronnie (I know you are looking)? Ron from Alabama? Ron from Augusta?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 05:46:42 pm »
I plan to be there.  I talked to Dave and he said he would like to go.  I'll let him drive the 87 and I'll drive the coupe.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 07:19:46 pm »
I'm not sure what my wife has planned for me yet, but rest assured, they have nothing to do with Fieros on Christmas New year's eve :(
(I've started on the egg nog a little early)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 07:22:26 pm by f85gtron »
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 07:52:40 pm »
For those who have been before, this isn't starting at the same Starbucks as they've started at in the past.  From the old Starbucks at Mansell Rd. and Alpharetta Hwy., go down behind it, turn right on Houze Road, Hwy 140.  Follow it to intersect with Crabapple Road, through the light and it's on the left next to McDonalds.  In the area of The Silos for local folks.

They usually pull out by 9 am.  I think this route will utilize much of a route they have used in the past.  Tiny little crooked back roads comprise a portion of it.  Back roads are used in almost it's entirety.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 04:34:34 pm »
I look forward to being there. Charlie I'll give you a call to make arrangements to pick up the car 

Drewbdo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 09:04:46 am »
I'm the DJ for a party that night, but I may be able to come, since this is a short, early/mid-day thing.

Is it only for Fiero's? I thought I'd see if my wife and daughter want to come along... three is a crowd, especially in a Fiero. :) lol

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 09:21:07 am »
This is an event put on by the Georgia Triumph Association.  Some participants from past years, reflective of the variety of vehicles.  Trucks, SUV's, anything is welcome.  It's a fundraiser for ALS. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 03:14:44 pm »
I talked to a friend of mine in a Miata Club and invited them along.  He texted back that he has some that are interested, so they may be joining us.  They had been invited to last year's RFTH, but had other things scheduled. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 01:32:10 pm »
There was a lot of nice cars in the run.  I think there were more than we normally have when they have started from that area.  This was an entirely different route than had ever been used.  Only one route this time instead of the A or B so for the most part, when we got out into the countryside, all the cars were strung out in a long train. 

Some Pictures

Fiat

Fiat Engine

The name badge

The car

Citroen

Does mean it's slow as a snail?

'68 Pontiac Grand Prix

The engine.  428 ci TriPower (3 Deuces)

Austin Healey 3000

Austin Healey 3000 302 V8

Viper

A True Polar Bear.  He drove the entire course, including sprinkles, flurries and sleet.

Triumph Stag

Stag V8 Engine

The destination was the Georgia Racing Hall of Fame in Dawsonville, Ga.

Not everyone stopped at the Hall of Fame.  This is the ones who did.

There was one Miata that broke down just before we reached Dawsonville, and we were told of a Mini Cooper that hit some leaves and left the roadway, hitting a tree backwards.  The car was able to be driven away. 

The route would make a nice Saturday run for the club.  For those who like BBQ, there are several good restaurants in town.  Other dining is also available. 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 02:00:01 pm by Fierofool »