Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: *@! My rotator cuff!  (Read 16249 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
*@! My rotator cuff!
« on: February 21, 2017, 06:19:07 pm »
I damaged my right rotator cuff yesterday.  Rather unpleasant.  Just about anything with my right arm hurts, and my thumb was already broken.

I used the ice, biofreeze, massagine techniques, and exercises, last night.  These lessened the discomfort, but I didn't get much sleep, last night.

I've become decrepit.

They can do surgery to fix, and then give me a thing that will make my arm stick out at a stupid angle.  If they're going in there, anyway, I'd like to upgrade to the newer style parts, with full HD.  Perhaps an upgrade for my ACL, while they're at it.

Anyone been through this?

f85gtron

• View Profile
Re: *@! My rotator cuff!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 06:53:38 pm »
Yes, but never made it to surgery.  Took me about 7-8 years to heal up the old fashioned way, but i was functional after a couple months.
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 07:03:08 pm »
7-8 YEARS!?

They told me 6 months, and I'm not happy.  Of course, I'm a fast healer.  Just not sure I'm ready for another general anesthetic.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 07:35:11 pm »
I pulled my rotator out of socket back around 1979.  Wore a sling for a while.  Pretty tough driving a school bus with a floor shift.  At least it was my left arm.  Got a series of 3 cortisone shots that was good for some short term relief, but due to an affliction I have, tendons and ligaments pull and tear easily.  I had to quit playing golf as a result.  Sometimes certain movements feel like it's about to come out again.  Operations wouldn't help because of the hereditary affliction.  It's a connective tissue disorder. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 08:14:41 pm »
Mine was actually torn and the scar tissue was tender for a long, long time. 7-8 years until i felt 100% i don't feel it at all anymore, unless i throw a whole game of softball or something.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 08:22:13 pm »
They're not sure on mine.  The x-ray and MRI didn't show it well.

I can't extend my arm forward or to the side.  I can't lean on my elbow.

Not as painful as a cracked sternum, but certainly unpleasant.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 08:51:32 pm »
I had a cracked sternum too.  Sleep or move wrong and it hurts like hello!  About 5 years ago, it finally stopped kinking. Same accident that tore my rotator cuff.
One of the procedures to test for a torn cuff is to inject dye and liquid into the cuff and look for pain in your face. The needle is long and very big, like a turkey injector.  I passed out, so they weren't able to carry out the procedure torture and scheduled an mri instead.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 08:57:39 pm »
I have an aversion to needles.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 06:23:25 pm »
I broke my sternum, jaw, and both shoulders together, along with other injuries.  The pain sortof all ran together.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 01:18:48 am »
Ouch!

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 10:00:31 pm »
I'm doing massages 5 times/day for 30 seconds each.  Is is supposed to break up the bad scar tissue and encourage smooth growth.  Apparently, space in this area is at a premium, and you want to keep inflamation to a minimum.  Lots of ice cycles.  It was going well, until my boss punched me in the shoulder this am.  Ouch!

I'm restricting arm movement, and propping up my arm at night.  It's difficult to sleep that way, but better than surgery.  Twice a day, I support my arm through a bit of range, so I don't lose anything.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 07:24:56 pm »
Well, last weekend I applied some pressure to my arm.  Just a test, at first, then I gave it a full go.  No pain, and things are still good after a week.  I may have overexerted my arm, though, because I could sure feel the workout, the next day.  I haven't felt pain there for a while.  I couldn't say when it actually stopped hurting, because I've been favoring it.  I have certainly lost a lot of strength, however.  I guess I'll have to start working my arm more, now that I know it can stand the workout.

I did some strength tests, today.  I can briefly hold 2 gallons of milk with my arm fully extended to the side, but my arm shakes a bit.  Holding my arm straight to the front, I can hold 1 gallon of milk.  Lifting my arms over my head is OK.  I have a full range of motion.  I tried some chin-ups, but was only able to do about 10.  I did 50 push-ups, and then my arms started shaking.  I don't have the strength to do clap pushups anymore.  I tried some curls, but I could only do about 30 pounds.  I tried some speed tests, and my fast-twitch muscles appear to have gone.  I tried some throwing activities, but thankfully not in public.  I cannot throw properly.  It doesn't feel right at all.  Not natural.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 07:48:24 pm »

SWIM, and I am very Serious, that is the best upper body stretch exercise there is.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 08:04:01 pm »
I'd have to learn how, first.  Also, I've discovered that I'm not a fan of getting wet.  I sat out the last pool party, and the went tree climbing and then for a hike during the picnic at the creek.  Somehow, I just don't enjoy getting in the water, anymore.  Chlorine is hard on me.   I have difficulties getting my arm over my head, due to prior injuries and poor physical therapy.  I can do it, but it's just for show--there is no strength.  Anyway, swimming season is about over, for 2017.  All the pools close after Labor Day.

Next year, I may kayak some rapids in the Colorado River.  Years ago, I ran the Royal Gorge.  In my teens, I canoed 40 miles down the Current River, then back upriver.  Good exercise, but I'll need to build a lot of strength and endurance for the rapids.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 08:29:13 pm »
 You'll get in a Boat But Can't Swim, That is like jumping from a plane that is still Flying.   I suggest you check out the local YMCA they have heated pools and one end is Shallow and you Can just Move your arms around for resistance exercise.