Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: This guy is incredible!  (Read 14324 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
This guy is incredible!
« on: March 09, 2017, 10:29:27 pm »
Some years ago, Jack M. Rented out Radio City Music Hall, just to play the organ.  I went by his house, and he put on a show for us:

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:48:56 am by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: This guy is incredible!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 06:31:17 pm »
I should probably explain these pics.  The center of the room is a train set.  Around the room are 3 organs, and various other instruments.  Various reeds, sleighbells, ducks, trumpets, zylophones, pipes, drums, etc.  The main organ can control everything else.  Any imaginable sound can be played, other than the human voice.  Train whistles are actual whistles. He can play dog barks, cat meows, duck calls, or simulate an entier orchestra, complete with stringed instruments.  The violin was a bit stilted, and the guitar was tinny, but the woodwinds, like the flute, the piccolo, the french horns, and the clarinet sounded great, as did the saxaphone, the trumpets, the trombone, and many other instruments.

He played to some silent movies, played some requested orchestra pieces, played music from popular movies, and demonstrated hot his setup works.

He was truly a talented individual.

When I went there, I had no idea whohe was.  I was just dropping by..  You could spend a day there and not see everything.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 08:36:21 pm »
Quite an odd collection of things hanging and sitting around the rooms.  Do they have any particular meaning, purpose or value?
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 08:50:22 pm »
Those are all connected to the organ.  He told the story of where many of the items originated. The organs were saved from various places.  One organ was from the church where he grew up.  Another organ was one he learned on.  The 3rd organ was something very emotional.  I didn't get the story.  The thing with Mickey was a miniature of a ride from when he was a kid.  The trumpets came from some production.  He had pipes from a calliope.  There was a long story about the sleighbells, and a story about the ducks.  Lots of stories.  I don't remember most of them.  When he plays, that room comes alive.  You can hear footsteps cross the room, or he can play from Fantasia.  Figurines dance and twirl.

Many of those things are worth a lot, but priceless to him.  That room represents most of his worldly joys.

He was the organist at the Fox Theater.

Not to my taste, but it was hard not to pick up on the joy those things gave him.  Our Fieros would probably seem odd to him.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 06:51:43 am by GTRS Fiero »