Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Poker run?  (Read 14312 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Poker run?
« on: March 14, 2017, 08:07:05 am »
I never understood how that worked.  Cubbeezx did one on his ATV on youtube.

Like this, if you're into that sort of thing:

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Poker run?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 08:56:09 am »
Melanie and I used to do motorcycle poker runs when we lived in New England.  We've done a couple with Georgia Fieros.  Unsuccessfully, I might add.  Routes are usually scenic through the countryside.  They can be for a charitable cause or just to raise money for the sponsoring club. 

Each vehicle is given a route sheet.  Each person in or on the vehicle must enter and your name is recorded on a roster.  You must find check points along the way.  They can be persons stationed along the way, or in the case of some of the New England events, just a colored pie plate attached to a sign post or power pole along the way. 

For each checkpoint, there is a different colored chip of paper.  Collect one at each check point.  Some clubs take a small bag of chalk dust or flour and throw it against the pavement just after a turn.  The direction of splatter tells you that you're on the right track. 

At the end checkpoint, you are allowed to select one playing card for each different color chip you have.  A deck of cards or multiple decks mixed together are spread about on a table, face down.  In the case of more than 5 check points, you are playing draw poker, discarding all cards but 5.  You try to make the best poker hand you can make from your cards.  That's recorded by your name on the roster and once it's believed everyone is in, prizes and/or trophies are awarded.  There is usually some kind of picnic or event happening at the final checkpoint.  One New England club added a bonus.  They had recorded the mileage to the 10th.  All were encouraged to set their trip odometers at Zero when starting.  The one who showed mileage exactly to the 10th got a special extra award or prize.  This was an indicator of the person who didn't miss a turn and had to turn around. 

New Englanders loved to have crab boils, with corn on the cob, baked potatoes, baked beans, burgers and hotdogs and other picnic type foods.  Only one we went to ever really had boiled crabs. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 05:33:11 pm »
Sounds like some multi-caches.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 05:53:05 pm »
Maybe it's something about living in a land-locked state, but I'm not a fan of seafood, fish, or generally anything from the water.  Generally, the first thing I think of in relation to seafood is the odor.  Not just the seafood itself, but the odor around rivers, the odor of thousands of dead mussels, the odor of dead fish, etc.

Then there's the bones, skin/scales, and sometimes an exoskeleton.  Lobster, crab, oysters, jumbo shrimp--just too much work for very little substance.  Mostly waste products.  Unlike my wife, I won't eat the head.

I did used to eat jack mackerel, and have had tina salad.  On Fridays, they try to push salmon, and some other stuff on me.  I have to scrape off the skin.

Growing up, we used to catch bowfin (a form of gar) at Mingo.  Hard to catch, but the bones went down the middle.  We also caught a bunch of blue cat and channel cat, along with some bass and sunfish.  I guess I've cleaned too many fish.  The odor stays on you for days.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 09:09:10 pm by tshark »