Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Ferrari and the police  (Read 14736 times)

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Ferrari and the police
« on: March 19, 2017, 11:56:36 pm »
So, Susan and I were driving back to Athens Al. last night when we get passed by a newer Ferrari ( not sure which model) . We were running along at about 75 in a 70 zone, so we followed along for quite a while.(about 25 miles) So, we get to Owens Cross Roads and the speed zone drops to 55. The Ferrari is out in front and in front of it is a black and white police car with full lights and markings. The police car is doing 55, I had dropped down to 50 or so just to stay behind the LEO. The Ferrari pulls up even with the police and then slowly starts to pull in front of it. The police let him get about a car length in front and he then hit the lights and pulled over behind the Ferrari and pulls it over. We continued on and passed both of them . The morrow of the story, if a stationary police car will give you a few miles over the speed limit, dont expect to be given that passing one on the road.
1985 2M6 SE, 1986 GT x 2.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Ferrari and the police
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 12:38:36 am »
That's the case in Georgia.  Vehicles using speed detectors must be clearly marked and clearly visible for a distance of 500 ft.  They cannot write a citation for a court appearance unless you are at least 11 mph over the posted speed limit.  The exceptions for the 11 mph over are in residential areas posted at 25 mph, school zones, and construction zones.  Those speed limits are absolute and you can be ticketed at 1 mph over.  Visibility requirements still apply.

A police vehicle that is moving down the roadway doesn't have the visibility requirements.  He can meet you on the crest of a hill and give you a citation.  The 11 mph over still applies.  They can pace you and write a citation for just 1 mph over, but they can't use radar to determine that speed.  It must be a reading from their speedometer.  These laws apply to City and County police departments.  It's to reduce the revenue-raising speed traps.

The visibility requirements apply to the State Police, but they can write a citation based on speed detection devices if you're just 1 mph over.  The reason the State Police have the leniency is because State Police is funded by the State General Assembly and they derive no revenue from traffic citations.  Therefore, its of no benefit to run speed traps.  Any citation written by State Police must go the court of the jurisdiction where the infraction occurred. 

It's always good to stay back about a quarter mile if you're going to follow a speeding vehicle.  Look for brake lights, especially if several cars are applying the brakes ahead of you.  Never flash your headlights to warn oncoming vehicles of speed detection devices.  It's against the law in most states.  Interfering with law enforcement. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 07:08:36 am »
I got a ticket for flashing my lights to warn of a dead deer in the road.  We were on a country road.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 08:52:11 am »
I hope you fought that one. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 05:44:46 pm »
If you're written for less than 15 MPH over the limit, it's not a "points" ticket in GA. Just a "revenue enhancement" for the jurisdiction where you are. It does not go on your record. (I looked.)
I usually try to stay at around 10 over, unless it's unsafe to do so. (People on 285 will run over you.)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 06:10:04 pm »
The prosecuting attorney is a friend/schoolmate of a client; the charge was dismissed, and the officer reprimanded;  it didn't hurt that the prosecuting attorney tracked down the other driver, who confirmed that I helped the officer pull the deer off the road, at the officer's request; the clincher was that the officer was driving behind the car that I flashed my lights at.