Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: A Russian Movie I'd Like to See  (Read 14702 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A Russian Movie I'd Like to See
« on: March 21, 2017, 12:26:17 pm »
Many of you know of my interest in space and rockets. Well, there's a new Russian movie that I'd like to see. It's called "Age of Pioneers" (Время первых in Russian). It's the story of cosmonauts Alexei Leonov and Pavel Belayev. Alexei was the first man to "walk in space", but back in the Cold War days, not much else was revealed about the flight. Actually, Alexei nearly lost his life on that "walk", and both cosmonauts nearly lost their lives when the flight landed. It went way off course, and landed in the middle of a Siberian forest in the dead of Winter.
Here's a trailer about the movie...
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Drewbdo

• View Profile
Re: A Russian Movie I'd Like to See
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 01:50:25 pm »
"Leningrad... we have a problem..."

Comrade Cosmonauts were probably thinking, "Oi... We survived the spacewalk, we survived re-entry, we survived landing... now, we will be shot as spies for missing our landing zone!" ;)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 02:30:25 pm »
Actually, Alexei became commander of the cosmonaut team, and went on to fly in the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project, during which an American Apollo spacecraft linked up with a Russian Soyuz spacecraft.
Alexei is still alive and travels around the world giving speeches about his adventures. He co-wrote a book with American astronaut David Scott called "Two Sides of the Moon: Our Story of the Cold War Space Race".

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 04:35:38 pm »
Here's another trailer of the film...

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 04:54:39 pm »
This clip features Alexei talking about the movie at the end (in Russian, so I don't know what he's saying)...

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 05:25:18 pm »
Space, rockets...every boy's dream.  My Russian isn't as good as it might be.  I understood...that they were talking.  It looks like a good movie, though.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 11:09:57 am »
Resurrecting an old topic... The movie came out, and I found a website where you can watch it with English subtitles. I'm not sure how good the English translations are, though, since they translated the title as "Time of Pioneers" instead of "Age of Pioneers".

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 07:24:12 pm »
Did you ever watch this?  I tried, using the link above.  No go.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 01:55:22 pm »
I downloaded the movie while the site was still active, monkeyed with the English translation a bit (not that I speak Russian, but I know a bit about Russian rockets and the events of the time). I'll come up with a way to get it to you if you want to see it.
I later found another Russian movie, about Yuri Gagarin. The English translation with this one is horrible, though, and will require a lot of monkeying.

BTW, while the Russians have copied a lot of Western technology, there are some things about Russian rockets that are quite unique, and weren't copied from anyone. These include engines with multiple thrust chambers, hot staging, and the way the Soyuz rocket is mounted on and released from the launch pad.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 05:59:08 pm »
Well, thanks for the offer, but not at this time.  Rockets are not my field of expertise, and I don't speak Russian, either.

I had been listening to a lot of stuff about the space race, recently.  That was before my time, but yes, according to what I heard, we would never have made it yo thw moon without the Ruskies.