Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Buzz's Steering Column -- Finally Fixed It  (Read 14867 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Buzz's Steering Column -- Finally Fixed It
« on: April 02, 2017, 06:23:15 pm »
Some time ago, I noticed a wobble in Buzz's steering column, and swapped it for the one in my "parts car". But I wanted to eventually fix Buzz's column and put it back in. I finally accomplished that today.
I won't go into the entire procedure -- there's an excellent write-up on Oliver Scholz's site, and also here. But I did take some pictures of those pesky screws you have to tighten to fix the column. You have to dis-assemble it all the way to the tilt ball joint...

The ball joint can be dis-assembled by bending it 90 degrees and pulling. Now you can see all 4 screws.

The screws were all very loose. I remove them, put thread locker on them, and tightened them. Here's a wider shot showing the screws and other parts of the dis-assembled column.

I would NOT recommend doing this repair with the column in the car. It's hard enough to get it back together outside of the car. And I  have a warning -- Don't let a lot of time pass after dis-assembling the column before putting it back together. You may forget what goes where.
I have some tools to lend to paid members for this, which I will post in the tool shed. If you are a paid member, and don't see the tool shed section of the forum, PM me.

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Buzz's Steering Column -- Finally Fixed It
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 06:30:20 pm »
Just to clarify, are those the 4 bolts that need to have the loctite put on them?

Also, is that the entire steering column out?

I'm sure he's happy.

I take it "Buzz” is your yellow car.  At first, I thought it was another member.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 03:47:30 pm by GTRS Fiero »

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 07:23:26 pm »
Just to clarify, are those the 4 bolts that need to have the loctite put on them?

Also, is that the entire steering column out?

I'm sure he's happy.

I take it "Buzz” is your yellow car.  At first, I thought it was another member.
Yes and yes, but not all pieces are shown.
And it's not that buzz, it's this buzz (Go Tech!)...

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 07:32:00 pm »
Now that you've done this (any someone will have to do this same fix on the fastback formula), how long does it take to do?

I figured that's what the black stripes were about, although there is a toy frog here that matches that black/yellow pattern.  I was surprised that you repainted without the black stripes, although I think the '88 yellow looks really sharp.  Not a fan of painted trim/molding, though.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 06:30:16 pm by GTRS Fiero »

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 07:45:08 pm »
It's not 88 yellow, it's close to Corvette Millennium yellow, though not exact. And it still has some black, in the trim.
88 yellow is too pastel for my taste.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 07:55:03 pm »
Yeah, your car's yellow is about halfway between that bee's yellow and 88 yellow.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 08:41:26 pm »
how long does it take to do?

I'm not sure, because I didn't do it all at once. I took it most of the way apart, but found that I couldn't remove the pivot pins with Oliver's method. So I put it aside, and eventually bought a pivot pin puller. By that time, I had forgotten what goes where, so I had to study the referenced documents. It took much of today to remove the pivot pins, tighten the screws, put it back together, and swap columns in buzz again.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:46:21 am by TopNotch »