Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Future of Fieros?  (Read 17888 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Future of Fieros?
« on: May 02, 2017, 06:16:37 pm »
Today was depressing.  I attended an electric car presentation.  There were several parts, one of which will be online soon, but they made it abundantly clear that, whether we like it or not, combustion engine cars will be gone in 30 years, and we'll all be driving electric cars.  They went over the benefits of the nannies--particularly for elderly people.  I like to both hear and feel the power.  I want to be able to break the tires loose, drift through turns, etc.  I understand that the Fiero can be converted to be electric; I'm just sad that my Fiero won't continue.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Future of Fieros?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 08:51:11 pm »
You can break the tires loose in an electric car...
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 10:04:06 pm »
Sure, they have far more torque, and instantly, but most of them are so nanified that they're boring.  The computer won't let the tires break loose, and the computer can't be modified.  Of course, if you build one yourself...but what's the point of driving, if you can't hear the roar--the real roar--not some artificial sounds.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 07:04:28 am »
The "experience" isn't there. You want to hear the roar of the engine, the smell of rubber, to know that you're harnessing something wild and dangerous, satisfying your primal instinct.
My brother rode and drove a tesla (because a guy down the street bought one) and he was thoroughly impressed with the smell of new car, but TOTALLY unimpressed with the experience and disappointed. With all the torque it put down, he was surprised at the way he felt about it, stating that "something was missing". 
I remember watching a blurb on tv about Toyota playing with installing noise makers in there cabins on the hybrid cars to simulate car noises. I would just make the noises myself (I do already for my cars stuck in the driveway, to keep them from getting lonely).  My little boy is really good at it, and can keep himself entertained for hours, steering through all kinds of imagined terrains and weather, skidding and saving traction from the jaws of the most difficult hairpin turns in the world with the precision of a fighter pilot. All the while, making those noises. Tesla should come and sample some of them to put in there audio systems!  You'd see a lot of grinning tesla drivers.
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 07:15:21 am »
Electric cars have all the excitement of rolling down a gentle hill.  Or the excitement of watching a racing movie with the audio muted.  Most of them don't have a transmission as such.  You can't hear the RPM, or feel it.  There is not a good way to test its limits.

Imagine attending a silent opera.  They could hold up images of notes, so you'd know they were supposed to be singing.

As far as artificial sounds, it's just one step closer to a video game, when drivers already don't have respect for anyone else.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 07:55:10 am »
A recorded engine sound on a continuous loop cd.  Choose your sound.  Big rig, two stroke, Harley, V8, etc.  Pipe it through a throttle position sensor and a volume control.  The tps should control the pitch so that it idles low rumble at a stop and screams at wide open throttle.  Subwoofers under the seats to give the sense of feeling the power.  The  sounds are heard only inside the car so that kid in the tuner slot car won't know he's about to get slapped down by a blown nitrous dragster.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 08:03:22 am »
Yawn.  Ricers already have fart cans to try to emulate real motor sounds.  Fake is still fake.  The computer game motors are fake.

Have you ever driven through a tunnel, or under a bridge, and listened to how your car sounds?  The first time I heard this while driving a nice car, I was trying to figure out who it was.  Then I hit the clutch and revved the motor a few times.  It was me!  Try replacing that!

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 08:50:05 am »
Yup. Still love it!

I recorded that for my daughter. She watched it like 200 times before she got tired of it.
My fiero provides almost the same sheepish grins, but bigger!
I had a friend in high school that would rev the motor on his Ford-something-small whilst going through tunnels. A crappy little rattle-trap redlining for extended periods of time is scary as hell!  You never know when the grenade will blow! He thought it was funny to watch us panic when he did it. Some friend, huh?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 08:56:40 am by f85gtron »
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 09:51:14 am »
Unless the government does away with internal combustion motors, I personally think that electric cars will be in the same shape they have been in for the last 50 years, trying to develope a storage battery that will last longer and is lighter than what is available now. They will continue to be very expensive, short ranged, and but UGLY. Also, the current generation of 20-30 year olds are lusting after late 60-70 pony and muscle cars (if my son and his friends are any indication). They go nuts at the sound of a cammed, open exhaust small block OR big block.
1985 2M6 SE, 1986 GT x 2.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 06:25:39 pm »
The government will do away with combustion engine cars the same way they did away with popup headlights, only deliberately.  They'll make gas unaffordable, or require zero emissions, or refuse to register older cars, or whatever, on the premise that they know what's best for us.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 10:59:48 pm »
People have been predicting the demise of the internal combustion engine for years. Decades, even.
It's not going away any time soon. Not in my lifetime, at least. And we almost certainly have gotten a reprieve for at least the next four years.