Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 3.4 camero engine swap.  (Read 14991 times)

GTXVette

• View Profile
3.4 camero engine swap.
« on: May 17, 2017, 08:43:01 am »

While reading the last two posts It occours to me Raydar (at least) has experence with this engine,  with the car I'm building for the Challenge,   It also has the 4-speed and a clutch,    what are the Issues here and what needs to be monitered. what clutch package is real good,  and , is the 4 speed good enough,

what is needed to put the 3.4 in the fiero(it's running/driving),   what was done before me getting it.

I can build a 4t60/65 easy enough, would that be better .   It IS turbo'd and may get a shot of Nitrous in the Drag Portion of the contest. 

There's more but enough for Now!

GTXVette

• View Profile
Re: 3.4 camero engine swap.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 09:32:51 am »
  I just read the expert Advise Posts and regarding Injectors;  would it be prudent to use a higher Flowing Injector With the turbo or Raise the Pressure, and how would I accomplish that, or both, It comes with a Mega Squirt controler but isn't hooked in yet .it also is using the stock ECM 1984? but not sure I see people changing them for another,If they need to be calibrated Should I just go with the Mega squirt.

I do have to replace a head Gasket so will do both and like the Cam bearing swap so may as well.

what cam looks good for the turbo,  and I assume since it was runnin other parts needing swapping over Have been done. 

when doing a V-8 swap, explaine to me just the parts needed to bolt it to the tranny, If Done it would be an aluminum Buick 215 Because it's quite a bit Lighter /uses a different bell Pattern than BOP of the late 60's-70's so I will have to make a plate.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 10:06:43 am »
The only help I might be able to offer is on the injectors.  Injector flow requirements are determined by the number of cylinders and the hp the engine produces.  If you have a reasonable estimate of expected hp you can select an injector size.  Most injector tables use 43.5 psi as their base pressure then calculator programs adjust for variables. 

I only know of 1 turboed Fiero engine and he used stock injectors on a 2.8.  I don't know what boost or other adjustments he may have made.

You are very close to Fuel Injector Connection.  They're off Castleberry just east of the intersection with Bethelview.  Jon is very helpful in selecting the proper injector.  You might consult them. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 10:19:22 am »

While reading the last two posts It occours to me Raydar (at least) has experence with this engine....

A word of advice, don't discount other's input on this forum. Fierofool has plenty of experience with the 3.4, as well do I.  They're maybe some closet 3.4r's that haven't come out of the closet yet too. 

Try to get a hold of hmthomps on Pff. He's in Columbia, sc and knows a couple of things about Turbo-ing, or adding "choo-choo" or whatever they call it now days.
Ron
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 10:28:34 am »
Raydar has ventured further "inside" the engine than I have.  Mine were essentially stock, other than injectors and cam bearings.

Nelson is a very good recommendation.  Didn't think of him.  Very helpful guy.  He has most of his work done by others but he may give you some pointers.  John, he's a member of pff, so you can retrieve his contact info from his profile from there.  Username hnthomps.  All lower case.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 10:38:11 am by Fierofool »

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 10:59:33 am »
I built mine from scratch....following suggestions from here and pff. All input was very helpful. I decided to go with the h260 cam and 1.6 rockers, so I could go choo-choo later maybe. I think the 272 had too much overlap?  It's been a while since.
I don't know squat about nitrous.
I went with Ford 305 injectors. 17# wasn't enough for all the intake and exhaust and cam mods.
Check out the threads on using sbc cam bearings in a 3.4. I didn't find that research until after mine where in already.

Of course, turbo will require mucho bigger injectors.

I would stick with mega squirt and learn it. It's close to gm efi, so no big leaps there, just a lot of voodoo.

Mine build is sitting around 9.75 - 10 compression ratio. Lots of retard on startup.

Lots of ways to build these up, but like radar said, lots of money too.
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 11:14:39 am »
I don't know the rules for Grassroots Racing, but if allowed, I think a 3800na would give more hp for the money, already starting out at ~ 200 hp before cam, rockers, boring, gas, turbo or other mods.  I rode in one with just cam and rocker upgrades and it would make a preacher curse.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 02:13:25 pm »
 I will check the 3800 and compare them, will it swap easy enough with the 3.4.... How about Trannys In the Slolom Portion  this is the 4 speed and won't get any abuse shifting but no side stepping the clutch either,

for the budget I have just under 800.00 bucks to spend on the whole car. I am Paying 1200.00 for the car complete with a Blown Head Gasket Most everything will be Reconditioned parts, No New unless it's bearings or Gaskets or somehow cheaper stuff, I can do anything except Machine work. Labor dosn't count against you If it's free,just about anything else does, thats why most folks operate as a Team, additional performance parts are added in at USED Part Fair Market Value

Heck Even GEORGIA TECH Fields a car Every Year. 

GEORGIA FIERO CLUB might look Good Down the Side..
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 05:37:46 pm by GTXVette »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 03:46:10 pm »
The 86se I rode in had a 4 speed.  It would probably cost more than your limit to install, though.  Flywheel, clutch, mounts, harness, axles, exhaust and ecm tuning unless you could pick up a ready made swap.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 05:19:24 pm »
Automatic transmissions are little boxes full of sorcery and witchcraft, as far as I'm concerned.
I know only a little more about turbos than I do about automatic transmissions, so take that for what it's worth.

If you feel inclined, Joseph Upson on Pennocks has a ton of experience with turbo 60 degree V6s (mostly 3500s).
Nelson has a turboed 3.4, but I don't think he did most of the work himself. He probably still has a good feel for what works and what doesn't.