Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 2017 FIERO /Grassroots Challenger  (Read 24988 times)

GTXVette

• View Profile
Re: 2017 FIERO /Grassroots Challenger
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2017, 07:42:37 am »
  No It has 3100 aluminum heads,   I belive the 3400 intake has a better shape and port volume and the heads are better also.
it has dished pistons.   

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2017, 09:09:30 pm »
So, I THINK that 3100, 3400, 3500 use the same heads. Go to the parts store and compare head gaskets to be sure.
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2017, 06:45:33 am »

the way I read it, the 3400 has a better Port shape and Volume than the 3100, but also has the newer spring type /beehive, Said to be good for a few more rpm. A Man in Carrollton has a set for 100 bucks, I will go look soon.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2017, 08:00:38 am »
You might want to do some research on the dependability of the 3400 heads.  I am aware and have also heard of a lot of the 3400 engines, like the ones used in the Grand Am's, were bad about blowing head gaskets.  Whether it was a fault of the gasket or the design of the head or overheating, I don't know, but I know of one person who lost the original engine in his wife's car, then replaced it with another engine only to have the same thing happen.  He replaced the head gaskets on it and they eventually blew out again.  There was an identical Grand Am sitting at a garage up here in town and it had the same problem. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2017, 09:02:52 am »
  I will note the info about heads, have to go with the easy button here,  I have to replace 1 so a pair works and I have them off anyway.   

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2017, 09:19:45 am »

All done on the head gasket repair ,  today I will finish the Headers (They are really nice set of Stainless steel headers) and charge a battery to test with., the one in the car was tiny 4" x 7"  that won't recharge.  So If I can get it all hooked up Maybe some smoke Today. Rainy outside but kinda warm at 60 + today and this my be the only day this week to get Outside.  So If You Have Nothing to do( yea right) come on Down. You don't have to work ! I will share the plan with you.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2017, 09:34:10 am »
Glad to read that progress is being made on this.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2017, 01:14:34 pm »

IT IS POURING RAIN, My Building is Really nothing more than a Plywood shell and a Plywood floor and feels like Outside but not Raining. Can ya Dig, gonna make a Hardware store run for some G8 washers, so no Progress today .

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2017, 06:15:12 pm »
 Engine turning over very slow will go through the grounds and all tommorow, 32 outside and I'm not having any fun.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2018, 08:30:38 am »
What have YOU done to this car, since you got it?

As Of this morning ,  Well yesterday the temp got to about 40's and I got her running, the slave cyl. is stuck so that is todays Project. BUT I keep Looking at the plug wires and with them in what looks like the Position in these pics it would not start so I set them in 1 2 3 4 5 6 and it started Immediatly. the pics appear to be in another v6 firing Order so I still want to check that. But Little Victory's.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2018, 08:54:52 am »
The 2.8, 3.1, and 3.4 are all what's known as Even-Fire engines, meaning that they are sequential, 1 thru 6.  There was an early version of the 2.8 that was an Odd-Fire engine, according to my brother-in-law.  That firing order was 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 5.  Supposedly it was bad about breaking crankshafts, being the reason for the development of the Even-Fire crank. 

Those 1, 3, and 5 cylinder wires really had a hard bend in them, the way they were routed. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2018, 12:10:39 pm »
  I'm Not sure but that may be the 90 deg. timing order, That is I have read that another Firing Order was 165432 or something, but it wasn't working and this is. Heading outside.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2018, 06:35:25 pm »
I don't see a picture, but this is a 60-degree engine, I thought.  The 3.8 is a 90-degree engine.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2018, 03:34:39 am »
correct this is a 60 deg. 3.4 they may have had it mis timed/wired like a 90 deg. the pic we are referring to is one that you put up for me, in those you can't really follow the wiring but it looks kinda odd . to some extent you can follow the wiring, the blown gasket and severe peppering on the plugs tells me lots of detonation and that could have been the cause of the blow out.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2018, 07:34:47 pm »
W A I T I N G for a slave from Rockauto, first They said it would be here Today, now It's Friday.
 Been talking to a man with some turbos for sale and he has some Smaller turbos that Two will really rock .
 Any way every time I start it I see little things That I hope are from Sitting, so sometimes Imma Happy and then Not so Much , But really Getting Better each time,Now I just want it on the Ground so I can see what's Next.
 Brake rotors are in awful shape and like I said before I have a Box full Of C4 brake rotors and Calipers so silly to fix them If I can Upgrade.