Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: CV joint issues  (Read 15105 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
CV joint issues
« on: June 17, 2017, 11:17:26 pm »
It keeps bothering me that, if the rear wheels are off the ground, and the rear wheels are turning, the CV joints will be damaged, so I have questions:
1. Do all years of Fieros exhibit this problem?
2. Is the Fiero the only car that does this?
3. Why is this desirable?
4. Is it possible to fix this?
5. What would be the down side of fixing this?
6. Is the issue only under power from the engine, or when turning the wheels by hand, also?

GTXVette

• View Profile
Re: CV joint issues
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 07:33:33 am »

I'm Inclined to say It's an Overextended Issue, can be prevented by using Stands onder the control arms, I doubt turning By hand will do much damage but look at an exploded View of the Construction of the Older Style Joint and you can see they can almost be Pulled Apart at full travel. The U-joint type can't be pulled apart and Not totaly Sure but the Newer style is "Captured " so they can't Over extend. when you remove the outer Hub you Have to be Careful Not to allow the Axel to "Flop" or be Pulled away from the Car and Care must be Taken that you PoP the axel from the Transmission without allowing it to Extend enough to seperate the Balls from the Cup they ride in. A Picture is worth a Thousand words. Happy Fathers Day!

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 07:51:41 am »
     I'm Inclined to say It's an Overextended Issue, can be prevented by using Stands onder the control arms.

I meant a permanent fix.  Can something be shortened, like the strut, to decrease the extension of the arm?

Happy Fathers Day!

Thanks.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 07:54:40 am »
The problem is generally with the left axle.  It's shorter than the right on all transmissions in the Fiero.  With the suspension unsupported, there's a sharp angle and it causes a binding on the tripot.  Some say you can feel the binding if you turn the wheel by hand.  Apparently due to the longer right axles, it isn't an issue because they stay more inline from one end to the other. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 07:57:16 am »
With the 4T60, does this issue get better or worse?

There must be a fix (other than a tether).

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 07:57:54 am »

In a word NO.  you can have Custom Made axels that use the Newer style Joints, I think that's going to be Expensive.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 08:02:10 am »
Someone else tried custom axles for a different reason.  Seajai, I think.  $900 down the drain.

Isn't it the strut that allows that much extension?  Shorter strut, less extension.  Or, a brace could be welded on that limited the travel of the lower A-arm.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 08:15:08 am »
A definite fix with zero expense without modification is to jack the car up under the control arm if you plan to run the car in gear while it's lifted.  The trypot inboard joint is designed to allow some extension and contraction as the suspension travels up and down.  A universal joint with a splined shaft, similar to a rear wheel drive driveshaft might work, but it might also exert more force on the shaft within the transmission due to the sharp angle. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 08:19:23 am »
No guarantees of this when the car is being inspected, however.  I want to prevent the possibility.  You know, a fix, rather than a band-aid.  I just need to know what allows/restricts the extension.  I'd rather not use a tether, but at least that'd be easily reversible.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 08:23:01 am »

Control arm Legnth's affect the Geometry and that is set in Stone, Kinda, A Teather could be a fix, but again setting it on jackstands at the end of the arms to rest it on will prevent that. but like when replaceing the axel you useually undo the Lower arm to pull the Hub Off the end of the Axel and need the extension to get the Distance needed to remove the axel.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 09:11:59 am »
Just raising the car with the suspension unsupported isn't really a problem.  Not even turning the wheel by hand.  It's the spinning at speed that does the damage. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 09:19:49 am »
Is the Fiero the only car that exhibits this ”feature”?

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 09:57:59 am »
  No All GM cars with that design or from that Era have that problem. but lots of other makes used that design Also. but as said Just don't run the engine with it Supported in the Middle , Support the outer ends under the A arms. that then is like sitting Normal.    I have screwed up More than One that way But there is a repair Kit with New Boots and Grease Too!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 10:00:14 am by GTXVette »

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 10:11:21 am »
Are you planning on doing jumps like Smokey and the Bandit, Fall Guy; etc.? It's not a design problem but it sounds like you are trying to fix something that isn't broke under normal operating conditions.
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 12:46:02 pm »
The coolant tubes down the sides aren't broken, either, until the inspection stations go to work on the Fiero.

Still, it shouldn't be possible.  It seems like a design flaw.