Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Atlanta Motorsports Park PDX, Sat. Aug. 12  (Read 14209 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Atlanta Motorsports Park PDX, Sat. Aug. 12
« on: July 06, 2017, 10:11:59 am »
A PDX is Professional Driving Xperience.  You are afforded the opportunity to take your personal vehicle onto the track with a sanctioned race car driver sitting side saddle to teach you how to drive the course.  I have done this at Road Atlanta, and it's truly a great experience.  There is no pace car so you're free to run as safely as you can.  Road Atlanta set a maximum speed of 90, but I attained 105 mph and there were some that were faster than I.  I just watched a video of a Lotus that hit 110 at AMS.  You're not likely to do that in a Fiero because it won't power slide through the curves.  :)

Each driver is assigned a professional race car driver as their instructor.  At the start, you attend an orientation class to tell you what the rules of the road are.  It isn't a race, is the number 1 rule, though you can pass other vehicles. 

The professional talks you through every turn of the course, telling you what line to take, when to brake and when to start your turn into and out of the curves.  You are given 20 minutes on the track, then everyone comes in for a critique from the officials, based upon your instructor's input and the course workers' input. 

Then you return with your instructor for another 20 minute session to apply what you have or should have learned.  The class and on-track experience gets you started toward your SCCA license if you're so inclined.  You can continue at any SCCA sanctioned class at any track, so you aren't restricted to just one track.  I have my first stage that I obtained at Road Atlanta.  Depending upon your abilities, you can get your license in as few as Three sessions.  At least that's what I was told. 

The cost is $150.  Road Atlanta had helmets for rent for about $20.  They must be of a minimum Z rating, so I expect AMS would have them available since not everyone can afford a $400 helmet just to drive one event. 

Steve, Pat and I have driven the short course at AMS and it's a blast.  I would venture that the PDX will be on the long course so that the cars aren't jammed up. 

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/2017-aug-pdx-atlanta-motorsports-park-scca-club-racing-055921

There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Atlanta Motorsports Park PDX, Sat. Aug. 12
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 05:05:31 pm »
What is the expiration on the session validity?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 05:15:31 pm »
I  don't think there is an expiration.  You are rated on how well yuo do in future events.  Some may take 5 or more, some may only need 2 or 3.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 05:44:22 pm »
It's been 7 years.  I figured mine expired.