Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Been there, read that  (Read 14256 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Been there, read that
« on: September 10, 2017, 07:57:18 pm »
I've read every thread on this forum at least once.  Try doing that on PFF.  I'm not claiming I remember everything I've read--in fact, sometimes I see people looking at threads on topics in which I'm interested, so I look at that thread, only to discover that I started that thread.  I usually re-read the thread, anyway.  Sometimes, I find errors in my posts, so I've corrected them.

One thing I've found in reading all these threads is that some threads don't seem to serve a purpose any longer, in that they're just a link to an expired posting, such as on craigslist or ebay.  Other threads/posts appear to be truncated, and are now only fragments of sentences.  I'm not sure what happened with these, but some are as recent as 2012.

It's interesting to see things unfold.  There are highs and lows, and the personalities of various people comes through.  I've noticed that the long term members seem to be well rounded.  The people with the broadest interests seem to be able to keep their passions alive, while people who only post about Fiero stuff seem to quickly fizzle out.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 08:08:48 am by GTRS Fiero »

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Been there, read that
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 08:00:48 pm »
A lot of the older posts may have been "imported" from our old message board. We changed web hosts at some point. All speculation on my part.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 08:11:44 pm »
You know, I read that previously several places, but when I mentioned that, I was told that no importing occurred.  Later, I read that various content was manually entered, in the form of posts.  I was told that this also didn't happen, or only on a limited basis.  My understanding is that this forum started in 2008, but I haven't gotten anything firm on that, either.  I was referred to the history page.  However it happened, it's what we have, now.

Changing webhosts usually wouldn't affect content, if imported properly.  The content on this forum is in MYSQL, which has workable import/export functionality.  I understand that the forum software changed.  THAT can affect the transition, because the tables and fields would be different.  Someone would have to use a special import query.  Sometimes, things happen.  Usually, there are character set mismatches, or improper escaping of special characters, memory overflow errors, etc that cause issues.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 09:07:51 pm »
The old forum wasn't software run on our site, it was a service provided by another site. Very little control over the "inner workings".
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 08:07:58 am »
A lot of the older posts may have been "imported" from our old message board. We changed web hosts at some point. All speculation on my part.

Here is an example of truncated posts.  This is from 2013.  I never really got a definitive answer, but I believe that this site was up and running in 8/2008.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 08:11:22 am by GTRS Fiero »