Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Replacing Manual Transmission Cables  (Read 14034 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Replacing Manual Transmission Cables
« on: October 03, 2017, 03:03:41 pm »
Today Richard Chen and I tackled the job of replacing the transmission cables on his Formula's Getrag trans.  His select cable had bound so while tackling the job he opted to purchase both select and shift cables from Rodney Dickman. 

It's so refreshing to be able to plug and play.  Richard had the console out and the skeleton loose enough that we could maneuver the cables out and in.  I have tackled the replacement of the select cable on my 87, single-handedly.  I don't know how I managed, but that was years ago.

Everything came apart and went back together on Richard's car very easily.  It helps to have a person on each end of the cables because the ends tend to catch on anything they touch.  Everything went smooth as silk, except those darned metal U clips that hold the ends of the cables into the mounts.  It's very difficult to hold the cable in alignment with the mount, hold the clip, and bump it into position with a small hammer or heavy wrench. 

We started the job about 10, had the old cables out and the new ones in position easily by 11.  The next 1 1/2 hours was devoted to getting the cable ferrules squarely positioned into the metal brackets on the shifter and at the transmission end of the select cable. 

Should you tackle this job wear heavy long sleeves to reduce the number of cuts to your hands and arms.  Items you should have on hand that aren't in your tool box are:  (take your pick)
At least a 12 pack of beer or 2 bottles of wine or a fifth of your favorite spirits.
A folding chair to rest between attempts.
Patience.
A Bible.
The phone number of the nearest wrecking yard.

BUT, if you stick it out, you'll be as happy as Richard is.  His shifter doesn't flop around and snaps right into every gear with ease. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing Manual Transmission Cables
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 05:52:37 pm »
Nice! Good show.
Mine seems to be getting more difficult to shift. (Side-to-side,  "select" function, specifically.) I'm hoping it's just the cable although it's one of Rodney's, and probably doesn't have 10,000 miles on it.
Got so bad that I had to replace my 84 shift handle with a taller  (~1.5") one.
Or maybe I'm just outta shape.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing Manual Transmission Cables
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 06:15:03 pm »
Glad to hear this worked out.