Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Long ago, in Germany...  (Read 14762 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Long ago, in Germany...
« on: October 09, 2017, 07:49:35 am »
The wall was made of wire mesh and concrete.

To make the showers work, we had to press the druken button.

The backs of buildings had logos advising that they weren't restrooms.  You know, an image with a line through it.

The roads still had big holes, from bombs or something.

There was this coin, the Deutchmark or something, that was brass-colored in the middle with a silver ring around it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 05:59:57 pm by GTRS Fiero »

GTXVette

• View Profile
Re: Long ago, in Germany...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 08:39:42 am »

I wasn't born untill 1951, but had heard similar Stories. even more so from Grand parents that were there in WW1.

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 08:45:04 am »
How long ago did this supposedly take place???
I've been to Germany on and off since the 60's and was stationed there in the 80's & 90's and I can't remeber it being like that.
Life is good!

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 11:58:48 am »
How long ago did this supposedly take place???
I've been to Germany on and off since the 60's and was stationed there in the 80's & 90's and I can't remeber it being like that.

Oh, ”supposedly”?  I was out of Fulda in '88-'89.  Some people were there when things happened.  Some weren't.

My memories are my memories.  Your memories are yours.  There's always some armchair expert who can't believe, because they didn't share the experience and didn't have someone holding their hand while explaining it to them.  But we don't really want to go there, do we?

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 05:07:27 pm »
this seems to have touched a Nerve with you so PLEASE tell us more about this.    I love history lessons  the rise and Fall of whole country's always get my attention.  I am not any kind of historian but want knowledge . people of Today have no clue that 20,000 years ago there were Civilized country's.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 05:58:24 pm »
I'm not trying to start an argument, but yes, it's important to me.  I was very young.  To say it didn't happen is like erasing all that I went through.  In my response, I tried to allow for the fact that others' life experiences may have been vastly different from mine.  I have similar feelings about current efforts to erase history.

There isn't much to tell.  There was a job to be done.  They needed laborers, and I needed money.  I brought back a piece of wall, a few coins, and a pocket knife.  I still have the pocket knife.  The rest is probably in my kit.  I have a few memories of people, but these are personal memories.  I have personal feelings attached. 

Honestly, the response from Donster totally caught me by surprise.  I figured he'd tell me what ”druken” actually meant and what that coin was.  I understand that the currency is now euros.  For some reason, as I thought of those things, I remembered other things.  I'd never really mentioned any of that before.  Growing up, I'd tried to get others to tell me about the war, but never understood until now why they never would.

As for your civilized societies, Nietche (sp) said something like that we have drank more of our mother's milk than there is water in the seas.  I have a bit of knowledge about some of those societies.  I think ”country” was a much more modern idea.  I know we've lost much technological and medicinal knowledge.  Before this triggers a response similar to the one above, some of that knowledge was dead ends.  I have a sister who is an archaeologist of sorts (her minor), and who was often sought after.  She got to go on a lot of digs, and she shared a bit.  All I can say is that there are the people who know, and there's everyone else.  Much knowledge is lost when the former group dies.  Much ”history” is inaccurate, at best.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 06:14:34 pm »
Drücken = Press.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 06:34:30 pm »
Pressing the press button?  Funny.  I figured it was water or something.  Maybe to prevent us from twisting it.   Hmmm.  Maybe you told me that before.  It sortof sounds familiar, now that I think about it.  Or maybe there was an orientation that I jet-lagged through.

There was some old lady that said a whole bunch of stuff to me.  I wasn't entirely sure it was complimentary, so I wished her the same.  She could've been telling me about her IBS, for all I know.

One of the guys had to buy me some pants.  He came back with these pants that were brown, except for a dark area in the crotch.  I'm sure there were other pants, but he insisted that that was it.  I was sortof out of options.  The alternative was to wear a sheet, but I wasn't going out in public in a diaper, so I had to wear these pants that looked like I had incontinence issues.  It was cold, or I'd have just worn them into the shower.  I wrapped the sheet around me like a toga, grabbed a bunch of planks, threw them over my shoulder, and off I went

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 07:08:58 pm »
 for some reason the ISIS people want to erase History but they may have an answer that seems rightous to them,
 If I say anything about what's going on in the South of America (USA) I will be Labeled a Racist but the real answer is it Happened and we cannot learn from something that has been Erased.
 what ever your Back ground is I am Open to hearing it and learning from it.
 Archimedies (sp) had a calculater 2000 years ago. where is that Information? this kind of sabatoge only hinders growth of Mankind. and to me that makes those people STUPID and the rest of us lose along with it.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 07:29:34 pm »
Everyone--including me--is close-minded about some things.  I'm afraid the only moral you could learn from most of my history is not to repeat it; however, there is a history that is beyond belief, because it's beyond our understanding.  In our nation's archives exist things we cannot explain.  If all peoples worked together for a common good, perhaps, in time.  Most likely, these things will never resurface.  For some reason, modern man would rather deny and destroy than understand.  I think that, as we grow older, our education prevents us from learning.

You're missing the point.  If we learn from history's mistakes, we won't repeat them.

Through various posts, I've amused myself by using modified quotes from a variety of classical literature.  Whether or not anyone picked up on these or not, I'll never know, but soon those works will pass into history.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 08:06:30 pm »
The Antikythera mechanism was an analog computer that dates back to somewhere between 80 and 200 BC. It could, among other things, predict eclipses.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 09:12:59 pm »
There is no Doubt that I may be missing "The Point".  why then does History Keep Repeating Itself,  Because we do Not Learn from Our Mistakes.  I wish I knew how to Change That.
 My life has been Boring compaired to what you have Shared here.
 In the Proper Venue I would very much Like to Hear more..... Much More.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 10:13:14 pm »
My life has been Boring compaired to what you have Shared here.
 In the Proper Venue I would very much Like to Hear more..... Much More.

I guess that's one way to look at it.  You've rebuilt lots of vehicles, and many other things.  You can't compare a few incidents to years of life.  Interest is where you find it.  For example, if you know someone who has a Fiero, they'll often have lots of interest and enthusiasm associated with Fieros; many other people won't necessarily share that interest.

Sure, in person, we can discuss...whatever topics.

History, literature, self-reliance, and consequences must be taught and independent thought must be encouraged, or mistakes will be repeated.