Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: My Misc Fiero issues  (Read 125252 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Misc Fiero issues
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2017, 06:49:27 pm »
I hooked up TunerPro RT, today.  No idea what I'm doing, but hey, I got a graph.  The WinALDL made sense to me, but I was just happy to get the thing to connect.

When I look at this, my RPM is whackadoodle.  Most of the rest doesn't make sense.  I think this graph shows bad grounds.  It was running rough, which I think this shows.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2017, 07:59:45 am »
If you record a short data log of like 5 to ten minutes and post it, I can parse it out for you.
Things I noticed:
1) The o2 sensor is swinging (switching) a lot. That's a good thing. The more the merrier.  You want high switch counts per sample.
2) volts are goofy. I can't figure out what's going on there.
3) it's hard to tell what represents what. I'm assuming the top line is coolant, the whacky line is o2, the volts and something else are close to the bottom (not good for volts), and the vehicle speed is at the bottom.
Am I looking at that right?
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2017, 01:23:54 pm »
I have no idea what that shows.  I looked at the Lists view, and there seem to be some errors.  I don't even know if I'm running the correct definitions.  This is the 1990-92 LH0 F-Body 1227730 $88 V3.1 adx file.

I wasn't sure what to upload, so I attached an XDF file.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2017, 08:10:44 am »
I ran my heater in the Fiero for the first time since I got it back.  Smelled coolant.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2017, 07:06:01 pm »
Maybe I had the wrong ADX files.  He sent me some, but I'm not sure how to get rid of the one I loaded, and load the 3 new ones at once.

I think I found the cause of the exhaust leak.  The nut is welded in place, apparently, but the bolt was only snug:

I'm not sure what that bracket above the Y-pipe with the threaded bolt hole is for.

I replaced it and tightened things:

I also replaced the gasket under the EGR mount block.  The holes in the adapter are certainly stripped.  Anyway, I don't feel any more leaks in this area.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2017, 07:10:24 pm »
While I was in there, I compared the coated nut I'd put on the EGR adapter to one that hadn't been used.  I think the coating is mostly gone. :(  The nut had changed from a yellowish color to a silvery color.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2017, 07:43:05 pm »
The bracket is the remains of where the original ignition coil was mounted. 

The coating or color of the bolt wouldn't affect it's functional torque.  I think that a bolt might have been over-tightened.  Once it was stripped, it may have allowed exhaust gases to penetrate the gap, causing the gasket to burn out. 

When I selected the bolts that hold the valve to the adapter, I picked ones that were just long enough to utilize all the threads in the adapter.  I'm not sure, but if there's enough clearance on the bottom, you might be able to put a self-locking nut on a longer pair of bolts.  Not a nylock, but one that has a compression fitting.  I don't remember the name of that particular style nut.  They have little dimples in the flats of the nut. 

Also pay close attention to the adapter to egr valve gasket.  It has one side that's marked 'top'. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2017, 07:50:24 pm »
Good tip about the gasket.  I wondered about the top of the gasket.  Does this gasket go between the EGR valve and the adapter?

The guy said that he forgot to install the gasket, when I asked him.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2017, 08:12:04 pm »
In this picture, the gasket on the left goes between the manifold base and the bottom of the adapter.  For some reason some of the gaskets came to me made of cardboard, while most of them were of the graphite impregnated type like the one on the right.  I have a couple of original GM gaskets and they were wire reinforced with a graphite coating.  I've never seen one of these with 'top' markings.

The one on the right goes between the adapter plate and the EGR valve.  It will be marked 'top' in that little depression just below the round center hole. 

There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2017, 05:02:06 pm »
Well, I think I have lifter issues.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2018, 07:27:04 pm »
Time to pull it, but this temp with the wind chill is....BRRrrrrh!

I put the battery on the tender.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2018, 12:58:25 am »
Well, we pulled the top of the engine.  What we found was 10 of 12 push rods that were less than perfect, and 12 of 12 bad lifters.  Both the lifters and the push rods on #6 were in deplorable condition.  So, we replaced the 10 push rods and all 12 lifters.  That was the second bad set of CompCams lifters, so we used GM Performance lifters, this time.

There was some slack in the shift cable, so we fixed that, and also adjusted the cable for the shifter. I still can't shift to first, but we ran out of time.

Tomorrow, I'll run by Medina Lake for a shakedown run.  That should be about 2 hours' of driving, all told.  Then, we'll replace the left axle, and fix the dust shields.  I hope to address the grounds, a few dead circuits, some fluid leaks, and the non-op check engine indicator, as well.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2018, 11:50:04 am »
Upon pulling the axle that had slung green goo all over, we found not one single tear.  The boot looked perfect.  We did find the source of the leak.

Oddly, it's under the band, right where the clasp is for the ring seal.

We had ordered another axle, but whatever arrived is totally the wrong part.  The shaft is shorter, has splines of a different width, and certainly the number of splines is different.  Also, the ends are different.  I hope we can find the right part locally today.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 06:05:05 pm by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2018, 11:59:07 am »
For my cruise, things were great.  On the way back, the transmission started shifting early, then hard shifting.  The transmission fluid is about 2 quarts low.  We'll have to figure out where the leak is.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2018, 02:59:54 pm »
We had the axle boot lock ring replaced with the better kind, and the joint re-greased.  Put everything back together and went for a spin.  Acceleration was fine, but when I let off the throttle, the back end kicked out on me.  I tried it a few times, same result.  I wasn't spinning the wheels, so I figured that the axle isn't in all the way.  Everything seems to be tight.  Rrgh.

But, the dust shields are off the rotors, so that should be fixed.