Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: My Misc Fiero issues  (Read 125250 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Misc Fiero issues
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2018, 05:23:39 pm »
What I don't understand is that it leaked here, didn't leak for the week we worked on it, and now is leaking here again.  I wondered about the overflow tank, also.  Brand new, from TFS, but the quality was very poor.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2018, 08:30:42 pm »
See if there's a puddle on top of the tank.  Sometimes when overfilled they will vent through the cap.  Could be the lower clamp on the tank hose, too.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2018, 08:09:26 am »
Windshield washer fluid tank?
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2018, 09:05:10 am »
I thought washer fluid, too, but that tank's inside the front compartment.  I think the only place for it to escape is in the center underneath the spare tire. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2018, 06:17:32 pm »
I haven't driven my Fiero for several days, but the puddle is still growing.  Nothing on top of the coolant tank, but there was wetness on the sway bar.  Looking under the coolant tank, there was a drip.  I put my hand on the bottom of the coolant tank, and was coated in coolant.  Rrgh!  I guess the leak function is included in new coolant tanks.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 09:55:54 pm by GTRS Fiero »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2018, 09:45:38 pm »
Check the hose clamp and the end of the hose for splits.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 09, 2018, 06:11:46 pm »
My poor engine and transmission are going to the junk yard.  There wasn't anything wrong with them, but they're toast now.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2018, 06:26:27 pm »
Today, it got warm, but will be cold again tomorrow.  I wanted to test a few things.  First, I found that the coolant isn't leaking today.  Second, I found that the tube clamp at the bottom of the overflow tank isn't in place.

How can you tell if it's in closed loop?  I ran the engine, and the fan came on after about 5 minutes.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2018, 08:23:55 pm »
I don't remember what the temp is for closed loop, but when it goes in, the engine idle rpm will drop. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2018, 09:26:41 pm »
It does drop a bit.  Basically, it runs around 900 RPM.  I heard the idle drop.  The fan came on after that.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 18, 2018, 09:13:31 pm »
I pulled the coolant overflow tank today, although it wasn't dripping.  It was moist on the bottom, by the feed tube.  It had the wrong type of clamp.  I couldn't get the right clamp in the right size, so I adjusted the hose and tightened the clamp.  Then my son and I went for a drive.  About 90 miles.  I'm fairly sure everything on the car was warmed up.  I'll check for a puddle tomorrow.  The coolant is a bit low (I spilled some from the tank).

I think I'm going to have to adjust the TV cable.  Heck, I've got to replace it, anyway.  When the transmissions shifts, if I'm fully on the throttle, the engine hits the rev limiter twice, then shifts.  There is sometimes a slight hesitation about halfway through a gear on about half throttle.  I don't know why, yet.

After about 30 minutes' driving, the check engine light came on again, and stayed on for the duration of the ride.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2018, 08:08:14 am »
I noticed that the exhaust got suddenly throatier, going up hills.  Also, it seems to be burning oil.  Got home, pulled the stick.  Oil is dark, and 2 quarts low.  Hmmmm.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2018, 12:59:00 pm »
Well, the exhaust issue may have been self-inflicted.  Where the EGR mount plate bolts to the Y-pipe, there is a 1-inch piece of gasket missing on the tube side, and the exhaust is pouring out of there.  Probably, that gasket was upside down.

I checked the PVC valve.  It's clean.  It rattles.  Checked for vacuum through the valve on idle.  Yes.  There does seem to be oil in that vacuum tube, though.

I'm going to check for fuel in the MAP sensor vacuum tube next.  Then a leaky injector test.  Right now, I'm avoiding the code enforcement officer.  He's wandering around out there.  When I saw him, I carried in a sack of "groceries" and closed the decklid.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2018, 09:07:23 pm »
Well, no fuel in the MAP sensor vacuum tube.  I'm not sure what is causing the issue with the oil.  The fuel pressure gauge wasn't available for rent.  I have to wait my turn.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 04, 2018, 05:30:07 pm »
As it turns out, this gasket has no up or down.  This gasket is the one from the crossover pipe to the EGR mount plate.  I guess it's made of graphite.  It disintigrated.  I scraped the remains of the gasket off with my fingernail.  This gasket was purchased new from TFS in November of 2017, and has fewer than 500 miles on it.  Something isn't right.  Wouldn't you figure that should be an aluminum gasket?

Meanwhile, I went back to rent the fuel gauge.  That's fine and dandy, except now they think it's lost.  That was O'Reilly's, where they couldn't find parking light bulbs, because they didn't come up in their computer.  So I asked about buying one.  Not my day.  They didn't have one in stock on ghe shelf, although the computer says they have several varieties.  They checked with some other locations, but none actually had any any in stock.  So I tried Autozone, Advance, and NAPA.  I wasn't sure they really knew what they were looking for, so I showed them a picture.  Apparently, they didn't appreciate my help.  What is the likelihood that all major parts retailers in a major metropolitan area are out of fuel gauges at the same time, although their computer says they have it, AND the stores aren't aware of this defficiency?

The counter robots were similarly unable to locate parking light bulbs.  I found the bulbs, no help from them.

As for the gasket, local retailers do not carry this part, or even recognize that it exists, because it isn't listed in their system at all.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 08:02:06 pm by GTRS Fiero »