Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Lately, have you  (Read 14633 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Lately, have you
« on: October 26, 2017, 09:10:08 pm »
Refilled your blinker fluid?
Rotated the air in your tires?
Replaced the muffler ball bearings?

Well here's a new one for you diesel owners.  Have you changed your diesel exhaust fluid lately?  No Joke!.  Today on the way down to see the Warrior Project car, I was behind a pickup truck loaded with cases of Diesel Exhaust Fluid.  Blue DEF, it was labeled. I had to look it up.

https://www.grainger.com/product/48RH22?cm_mmc=PPC:+MSN+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!10!8973609835!1102900017818&ef_id=WaTABgAAAH3NnTB3:20171027010712:s
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Lately, have you
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 09:24:18 pm »
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is a non-hazardous solution, which is 32.5% urea and 67.5% de-ionized water. DEF is sprayed into the exhaust stream of diesel vehicles to break down dangerous NOx emissions into harmless nitrogen and water.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 09:43:34 pm »
I've heard of that.  The Army uses it, and some friends are diesel mechanics.  One works on engines in a mine, supposedly a mile underground.

For the Navy people, it was common practice to send new guys down to get the special grease used for equipment on the forward deck.  They were told to ask for KY Jelly.  There was a female to whom they had to make the requests.

It was also common to require replacements for these tubes that came together in a Y.  Whomever was on duty was required to replace them when they failed. Any time I walked by, I'd label them with ”FALLOPIAN TUBES PART # 21647-2831”.  Those poor seamen.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 10:02:43 pm »
The tubes were also used in a lot of the electronic gear we used in our operations centers.  Other items were ST Ones (stones) which was a big boulder in a foot locker.  The rookie was sent to the service room to obtain one to get a receiver up and going again. 

There were also TR Double E's.  That was a weed stuck into a styrofoam cup full of dirt and put into a box.  Of course, it was always an emergency when one of these parts failed, so the rookie had to run his tail off to get down and back so that a minimum of intelligence was lost.

The favorite thing was to separate the side seal of the boxes holding the Fallopian tubes.  Being scolded to hurry and open it so the Trick Chief could get the tube installed quickly, usually resulted in the box coming apart and the (burned out) tube falling to the floor and breaking. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 10:18:51 pm »
Rookies on aircraft carriers used to get sent for "prop wash". with propeller planes scarce these days, I don't know if they still do that.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 10:19:44 pm »
Good times.

Standard Torpedo Dampeners (or something like that) were supposed to be used.  I never figured out the titles or ranks, but I kept hearing the petty officer or whatever asking the new guy about STDs.  If he said yes (usually on intercom), he'd be told to get that checked.

They used to make a big deal about the berthing stations, only they made it sound as if you were going to the maternity ward.

Yep, if there is a phrase for something, the military is aching and paining to make it a rude term or acronym.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 10:30:46 pm »
Rookies on aircraft carriers used to get sent for "prop wash". with propeller planes scarce these days, I don't know if they still do that.

I dunno.  Do they still have the CODs?  Maybe the Osprey replaced the prop CODs.

Ha, ha.  Prop wash happens when you get behind a plane.  They have other names for it, but they have the same thing for helos and jets.  Having them get jet wash would be funnier, anyway.  You'd have the--not purchasing department, not requisitions...I don't remember.  Anyway, can't you just see them requesting 200 gallons of jet wash?

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 08:28:29 am »
20 years ago on the Roosevelt we were still sending guys for prop wash..... and shore line...... and overhead buffers...... and ID-10-T forms..... but the best was sending a guy to the weld shop for an HT punch, one of the welders was on the boxing team

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 11:25:56 am »
We used to send rookie telecom guys for Cable Stretchers and maybe a roll of Order Wire. (The "orderwire" is an out-of-band service channel on a microwave communications link. Sometimes called a "hoot 'n' holler".)

On some of our fiber optics terminals, we have a "lamp test" function. When that function is initiated, it lights up every indicator and warning light on the entire shelf. Pretty spectacular. The cool thing is that it can be initiated remotely, from another terminal. We used to send "remote lamp test" commands to other locations where we knew people were working. Hilarity ensued...

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 03:04:34 pm »
One summer while out of school, I worked with Fortenberry and Sons Builders.  I was a carpenter's helper, which involves holding lumber during cutting, fetching lumber, nails and tools.  My first day on the job was spent trying to find the lumber stretcher.  Every person I went to had sent it on to someone else, so I had to go find that person, only to find that it had passed on to another carpenter.  That darned stretcher had made it to every person in the subdivision by the end of the day. 

Riding home with my neighbor, who had gotten the job for me, he finally clued me in on what had been happening.  Next day, I was of course the laugh of the day, but when I was sent for something, I did some serious thinking if I didn't find it on the first try. 

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 03:43:30 pm »
I dont know how times i have a clueless "associate" at Home Depot looking for a board stretcher. .....

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 04:22:14 pm »
I dont know how times i have a clueless "associate" at Home Depot looking for a board stretcher. .....

That was a low blow.  You're giving clueless people a bad name.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 05:27:23 pm »

[/quote]

That was a low blow.  You're giving clueless people a bad name.
[/quote]
How this: Southern All Stars race at the Nashville fairgrounds speedway. The infield concession stand is 8 sided, they sell polish sausage. If you look at it just right it says "Polish." We sent one of our rocket surgeons over there for some carburetor polish. They told him he dodnt know what he was talking about and sent him away. It took him several more trips for carburetor polish before he finally caught on.