Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Valve cover bolt source?  (Read 16172 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Valve cover bolt source?
« on: October 29, 2017, 08:29:52 am »
Where do you get valve cover bolts?  Yep, VALVE COVER BOLTS.  For the V6.

I did read both of the threads below:
http://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/fiero/showThread.cgi?forum=Archive-000001&thread=20110502-2-105508

http://www.gafiero.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2557.msg22811#msg22811

TFS, WCF, BTR, and Rodney don't appear to have them.  I guess I could try TFF.

I tried the Beretta 2.8, the Celebrity 2.8, the S10 2.8, the Camaro 3.4, and the Camaro 2.8.  Apparently, only the Fiero used these particular valve cover bolts.  I found various studs, some bolts with grommets, but not these dandies.  I guess I could have a sleeve made.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 05:56:09 pm by GTRS Fiero »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Using bad language
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 08:48:34 am »
That screw is listed as Screw, Rocker Arm Cover, SPL M6.0 x 1 x 25  There is no part number shown in the parts book. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Using bad language
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 08:57:17 am »
No part number in the original parts book?  That's bad.  There certainly isn't a part in the system.  I've looked high and low.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Valve cover bolt source?
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 11:29:48 pm »
Well, I got some from TFF.  Ouch.  $2.50 each.  No biggy.  Sounds like a deal.  They told me shipping would be billed separately, when they shipped.  $8 for handling, and about $30 for shipping!

I know why I'm seeing studs on a lot of Fieros' valve covers.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 11:49:41 pm »
$30 shipping?!  They sent it by courier, right?  You should have just driven down there while you were in Nashville.  Certainly would have cost less than $30 in gas.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 12:25:05 am »
I didn't know how much it was going to be until they arrived.  Then I remembered that they charged me similarly when they sent 2 screws for the 3rd brake light.  I hadn't really thought about how close it was.  3 hours, times 70MPH divided by 16MPG times $2.68/gal equals about $35.  But, they're closed on Saturdays, IIRC.  I was irritated about something else, though, and this drive wasn't something I'd planned on.

Yeah, by courier of sorts.  USPS.  When I was a courier (NOT USPS), driving across the state paid me anywhere from $200-$500.  I usually refused, because then I'd be stuck across the state, and have to drive back, so I could drive all the next day.  Driving all day, then driving to the destination, arriving about midnight, then getting back around 5am, so I could start again at 7am and work until 5 or 6 got old very quickly.  If I started late, left early, didn't come in, or missed any time during the day, it messed up my earnings for the whole week.  So, that $500 could lose me $300-$400 in weekly earnings.  As for the $200, even if that was my first job at 7am, that would mean that that was all I'd get for that day, unless I worked extra hours.  Those trips tended to lose me money.  It actually made me money to have lots of other drivers make those trips, although I'd get run ragged picking up the slack.  After studying the numbers, I realized that 1.5-hour drives made me the most money, and any drive longer than 2.5 hours or less than .5 hours lost me money.  I was one of the top earners.  Not because I delivered faster.  I rented the radio and uniform, worked my full 10 hour shift 6 days/week, and drove a larger vehicle, and therefore earned a higher commission percentage than most drivers.  Combined with the fact that most drivers worked 7-8 hours per day, I'd usually bring in about a grand more per week.  My long-winded point is that I don't know how such a drive would be worth it to a courier.  Maybe other couriers are set up differently.

Time was tight going to Nashville.  I guess if I'd have bought the truck it would've taken me longer, but we had 2 meals, a rest stop, and the time at the dealership, plus a trip to an RV dealership, so the kids could expend some energy.  We went into all the RVs that were motorized (Class A and Class C).

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 07:51:20 am »
They could have sent it USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box like your EGR kit came in for $7.15. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 11:24:01 am »
Well, after some soaking and scrubbing to get most of the rust off, they look like this:

There are several parts to each bolt:
1. The bolt itself, which isn't threaded all the way up
2. The setting tube with a collar at the top
3. The rubber seal, which both seals the cover and protects the finish on the valve cover.  This seal sits against the collar.

The bolt turns freely inside the setting tube.  The setting tube is not threaded, and served to ensure proper bolt depth.  The valve cover free-floats against the tube collars on the valve cover bolts, and is held securely, if not tightly. The bolt itself must be the proper length to hold the tube tight in the hole.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 11:30:30 am by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 08:04:32 pm »
Here the bolts are in process of being cleaned:

I have some concerns that the bolts will just rust back up right away.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 08:31:34 pm »
If you don't tighten them down all the way, the oil leaks will prevent rust.  D)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 08:33:31 pm »
Maybe I can coat them.