Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Video from the Grassroots Motorsports Challange  (Read 14422 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Video from the Grassroots Motorsports Challange
« on: November 12, 2017, 10:27:09 am »

Hopefully, GTXVette will come here and tell about that little "Mystery Machine" van.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTXVette

• View Profile
Re: Video from the Grassroots Motorsports Challange
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 08:25:54 pm »
well Heck Yes, I  am Happy to.  I was really just looking to Bum a Ride to the Challenge and a Friend of mine in North Carolina Joe Burchett said I could go with them, so after that he Told me what they were Bringing, A 1968 Suburu Micro Van, I said "WHAT" Lol, so it is On a Legends / Dwarf Car Chassis and has a Hayabusa 220 hp motorcycle Engine , the car (This was a week before the Challenge)wouldn't start, so it was totally Untested.

The night before we were to leave they got it started but NOT driving. they day we were to Leave the Clutch wouldn't release so they Pushed it into the trailer and said  Time to Go.

They picked me up at the Road Atlanta Exit on 85 south and we drove into the Night At a High rate of Speed. Friday the Morning of the Auto cross I got my First Real Look at the Car and I freaked out No Lights No Glass no Clutch BUT we Soldered on.

I jumped on the wiring doing Front and rear Head lamps and wiring and  and then sorting out Springs while his Partner worked on the Clutch /turns out some flex in the Slave Bracket wouldn't allow enough travel so they let us Push Start it at the auto Cross and at the Drags. Thank you Gainsville Dragway (Home of the Gator Nationals) not a NHRA approved Method. the car went about a 38 second lap in the AutoX and with a 4 second 60ft. the 1/4 mile time was 16.5 at 87 MPH that's Fast all considered.

I have never had that much Fun at a Race In My Life and thats after 30 years of Racing.

we finished 14th Overall and won the Peoples Choice, there are several Videos of the Concours and they all dressed as Scoobie Doo Charactors and of course the Van was Painted the same, I am unfamiliar with the cartoon ,my age had me out of the House when Kids were Watching it.

Also Georgia Tech won the Overall with a Honda Insite W/ a suburu Engine in the rear, 3 Colleges and 2 High school teams came from all around the Country, Mazda Miata was the Most Popular Car, a turbo'd Triumph Spitfire with a Mitsubishi engine was Awesome fast but raised the boost too much in the drags and Had The "Most Spectacular Failure" with a rod through the Block. A 240Z with a Chevy and a Bunch Of Nitrous went 9.54 at 147 MPH for Fastest 1/4 mile.

Next Year there will Be a Very Capable FIERO at the Show, it will be  Delivered to my House By this Thanksgiving! Let the Fun Begin.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 08:47:47 pm by GTXVette »

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 10:58:48 pm »
I am unfamiliar with the cartoon ,my age had me out of the House when Kids were Watching it.

Here's the cartoon original...

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 11:44:43 pm »

Thank you for putting this In. It was a Blast, Hope you all enjoy the Video. the group will even Have a Full article in the Magizine. I really wish someone or a group will Get Togeather and Get Paul's supercharged 3800 car and do this also . It is/was a running car and the engine is only out for a new Clutch, at 1000.00 bucks that is Half the allowed Budget and as of today plenty of time to sort it out for racing Or a Fast Daily Driver which is what it was anyway.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 10:55:51 am »
More video of the Mystery Machine (Who says you can't drag race without a clutch?)...