Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Kids' Robots  (Read 14185 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Kids' Robots
« on: November 19, 2017, 06:57:20 pm »
In AHG, my daughter's group made robots.  Some were made from old spools of thread, but this one is supposed to clean the floor.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Kids' Robots
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 05:36:57 pm »
When I was growing up, we found the machine language for code to emulate the sounds of letters and numbers in a magazine.  I incorporated this code into an AI program I wrote.  Later, I adapted this code into a C++ program that launched a rocket, only the code made the printer say ”launch”, only I couldn't get the ”au” sound to work, so it said, ”lunch”.  Then this code was incorporated into Clarion, and used to read text over the speakers in a local school.  As a challenge, I incorporated the code into an interactive OS we wrote.  Later, the code was incorporated into Matrix Layout, to make flowcharting more interesting.  In college, the code was incorporated into a Pascal program (mainly to make fun of the seniors).  Later, I used it in Visual BASIC.

Some years ago, I got a Roomba, which had a programmable port.  During a late-night discussion, a few of us got to thinking about that port.  I was unable to get this code to work, but we modified the Roomba to accept cameras and were able to play digital recordings.

Most recently (about 10 years ago), I was given an R2D2.  It's VERY limited.  The Roomba was long gone, but I expanded on the idea, and added all sorts of sensors.

Since then, I've looked for a little Johnny 5.  The ones in Short Circuit 2.  No dice.

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 05:40:16 pm »
Replicas of the B-9 Robot (Lost In Space) are available FULL SIZE!!! for $25,000. A Johnny 5 would be nice though. No Dr. Smith complex.
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 05:45:16 pm »
I haven't seen Lost in Space.  I remember hearing about some other interesting robots.

We had a program--Elisa, or something--that was a pretend psychiatrist.  It would ask questions, then parrot things back to you.  It was great entertainment.

$25,000!  I have $000.25 right here, only their zeros are on the wrong side of the decimal.