Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: What's in a name?  (Read 14289 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« on: November 27, 2017, 05:22:18 pm »
I've been trying to track down the owner of the domain that used to be used for the Fiero group here.  Being that his email address no longer exists, I've been trying via phone.

The domain is gatewayfieroclub.com, which has an unfortunately familiar acronym.  It's a good name, but there is that one issue.  I'm convinced that there are people who could get together here, given a bit of motivation.

Maybe a name change is in order.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What's in a name?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 08:34:34 pm »
I looked up that website on the internet wayback machine. The last posting on it is for the Fiero 30th Anniversary in 2013, so it's pretty cold.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 09:50:52 pm »
The site still came up, last year.  I was thinking about reviving the domain, but that may not be the best course of action.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 07:37:08 am »
 Is that Gateway in the 'To the West' or like here 'To The Mountains'  If you go for it and revive a Missouri Club Link us up so we can Stay in Touch.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 08:05:44 am »
Gateway to the West.  Hence, the Arch.  Atlanta has historical significance from the Civil War, especially as portrayed in Gone with the Wind, but STL has historical significance dating back into the 1200's, with the Cahokia Indians.  Later, Lewis and Clark, but STL was a major trading port.  Everyone going West came through here.  STL has been slowly losing significance and influence since the Civil War, growing smaller and losing businesses and features in the process.  Thus the airport shrinks.

I don't remember the years, but STL had a fire, a flood, and a cholera outbreak, not necessarily in that order, but in close succession.  Houses were rebuilt in brick.  People moved to North STL and North County, who didn't take care of anything, and everyone else moved away from those people.  The area fell into disrepair, and crime prevailed, resulting in a trashy ghost town.  East STL is worse, except people still live there.  It's a pig-sty, and the police are worse than the criminals.  Fortunately, East STL is small, but some areas are basically a war zone.

Maybe it could be Lewis and Clark Fieros.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 06:06:04 pm by GTRS Fiero »