Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Amazon!  (Read 17316 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Amazon!
« on: March 16, 2018, 08:46:27 pm »
Over the last few months, packages from Amazon have been failing to arrive.  Tonight, I called to get some answers.  A package ordered in January was declared lost.  Several from February have gone everywhere but here.  One was "delivered" in WA, but sent to VA.  I am not in either state.  Another went to Australia.  I'm not there, either.

One went to Texas, where is was "delivered".  Apparently, there was a mix-up with another buyer.  Amazon offered to send me the product the other person ordered, but they wouldn't tell me what the product is, except that it isn't the same thing.  Why would I want that?  This has happened several times.

2 items went to the seller, rather than the buyer.  Apparently, Amazon is a distributor, and stocks a bunch of product.  So, they sent it back to the seller, or whomever made the product.

Amazon is going to call the post office to see about some other items.  I wish them luck.  USPS has no idea where anything is.  If you call the local post office, they direct you to one distribution center after another.  You have to wait while they dawdle, then for an endless series of supervisors.  Then they have to call every single delivery driver to ask if the driver has seen a package.  Yep, they sure have.  There are apparently whole buildings of packages they haven't delivered, because you always have to wait for them to "go check another building".  As soon as they hang up, they apparently take a 2-week vacation, leaving no record of this conversation, because nothing happens for 2 weeks, and when you finally get back to them 2 weeks later, you have to start over.  Apparently, only one person handles these issues.  Usually, the package is discovered carelessly tossed out of the way somewhere.  And USPS wonders why people don't want to use them.

A product I ordered on 3/10, for delivery on 3/13 still hasn't shipped.

I really don't know where to start.  Computers will eventually replace all postal workers, but I used to think that was a bad thing.  Trying to get a computer to rectify a mistake is an exercise in futility.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 10:56:23 pm »
Hope I'm not jinxing myself, here, but Amazon's delivery record to me is exemplary. Occasionally a day late, but not frequently.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 11:10:36 pm »
Good to hear.  Maybe it's my area.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 11:13:42 pm »
Good to hear.  Maybe it's my area.
Must be. Both Granny Linda and I get good service from Amazon.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 11:37:54 pm »
An Amazon warehouse is across the street from our post office.  There are 3 other nearby warehouses that they use.  These things are huge.  ~8 seconds to drive by at 70MPH.  Not that far back.  Some have a second storey.  They were all built on the floodplain within the last 2 years...after the previous people had been flooded out several times.  Amazon made the channels several feet deeper.  Unfortunately, the buildings would still get 10-16 feet of water.

The one across from the post office is small, about 600,000 square feet, at a guess.  It's not completely operational.  It's in a bad location, because the road is divided.  Ingress and egress is constricted, and the traffic light is very short.  So, it can only be approached from the South, and exit is on the same lane, going North.  Getting back onto the highway is difficult.  We recommended a nearby site that had better access, but Amazon refused.  Amazon plans to have land seized via eminent domain to change things to suit themselves, but this would affect people's homes and lives.  As things sit, trucks are driving through residential neighborhoods and over a bridge only rated for 15 tons.  They're destroying the roads.  But, this is the only easy way to get back on the highway.  The other interchange was just completed before Amazon moved in, but they realized that they made things worse before it was completed.  In fact, they wouldn't have completed work, but the money was already spent.

Apparently, one of my orders came from a local warehouse.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 01:22:17 pm by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 01:14:40 pm »
According to Amazon, one of my packages is out for delivery...in Houston.  I do not, and have never lived in Houston.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 05:15:13 pm »
Just wondering... Are you a member of Amazon Prime?
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 05:44:38 pm »
We are.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 05:59:04 pm »
I was.  That was a waste of money.  When Instant Video was the problem, they said that Prime was about shipping; when shipping was the problem, they said Prime was about Instant Video.  It was a constant litany of excuses.  I finally started wondering what I was paying for.  After I cancelled, the only difference I noticed was that some products aren't available to me, and I have to pay for 2-day shipping.  In reality, I always get my shipping refunded, because they don't deliver until weeks late.  That was the case with Prime, as well.  The movie selection on Amazon was limited, so no loss, there.  They didn't even have full seasons of shows.  What good is 5 episodes of JAG?  It's like the TV and radio stations.  It doesn't matter how many there are, if you're not interested in what they have.

Back to shipping delays.  We ordered some items.  2 weeks later, still not shipped.  I drove up to Michigan and bought what I wanted...in 2016.  Those items still haven't arrived at my office.  Those were ordered on the business Prime account.  We got our money, but the products are sitting somewhere.  One of my techs has Prime, and also is having issues with shipping, although he lives more than an hour away.  On our business Prime account, we ordered 2 Surface Pro tablets.  After a few months of them not being shipped, we got our refund, then went and purchased locally.  I can't tell you how often I've ordered something that was "in stock" only to have them tell me weeks later that it wasn't.  Part of the problem is that their system truncates addresses.

I used to be a courier, and dispatch would send me to a particular address, city, and ZIP.  When they got the city and ZIP wrong, I'd end up in the wrong place. Sometimes, several cities share a ZIPCODE.  I have several friends who can't get mail, because their addresses won't fit.  The GPS can't find them, either.

Invoicing is terrible.  If you order 50 items, say, you get a total.  Then, they split everything up, and the charges to your card are all sorts of amounts.  Trying to sort it out takes forever.  When the stuff arrives, often you get random products.  My favorite is products, like 3D printers, that are bad.  Amazon passes the buck.  We had to dispute the charges.  It was $25K.  They said they'd come get the printers.  I won't hold my breath.

I'm not sure why I should pay to get basic service, that they still can't provide.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 07:09:58 pm by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 07:51:55 am »
On Friday (3/30), Amazon "overnighted" me a replacement item, to replace a lost item.  As of 4/3, the replacement item is in "carrier delay".  I think this makes my point about Prime.  The difference is, if I don't pay for Prime, Amazon pays a penalty for late deliveries, and my shipping is free.  When items are late with Prime, it's just too bad.

Amazon says to check back in a few days, and they'll help me out.

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 09:14:58 am »

Where do you live?

Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

GrannyLinda

• I'm On The Right Track Baby, I WAS BORN THIS WAY !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 10:39:30 am »
Are Any Of Your Neighbors Having Problems With People Stealing Packages From There Homes ?

On Friday (3/30), Amazon "overnighted" me a replacement item, to replace a lost item.  As of 4/3, the replacement item is in "carrier delay".  I think this makes my point about Prime.  The difference is, if I don't pay for Prime, Amazon pays a penalty for late deliveries, and my shipping is free.  When items are late with Prime, it's just too bad.

Amazon says to check back in a few days, and they'll help me out.
I'm On The Right Track Baby !!!!
I WAS BORN THIS WAY !!!!

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 07:06:33 pm »
Where do you live?

In the gateway city.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 07:08:20 pm »
Are Any Of Your Neighbors Having Problems With People Stealing Packages From There Homes ?

No.  That is not a problem here, but the package hasn't been delivered anywhere.  At least it left Amazon.

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 09:35:05 pm »
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class