Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Little Duke Coupe  (Read 63428 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Little Duke Coupe
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 03:01:15 pm »
Ashby said he had a used 84 pump that he was going to install, but he never showed up.  I just tried to call him and didn't get an answer.  I don't know what's happened to him.  It would save a little if we supplied the pump.  Are you sure you don't need it for a backup?  Could you hear the pump run when you turned on the ignition? 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 04:50:19 pm »
Could you hear the pump run when you turned on the ignition?  

And how! It was a very loud pump. The new AC Delco pump I put in is much quieter.
Edit: I just hope I didn't throw the thing away.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 06:25:19 pm »
If it was loud, it's probably on its way to failure.  That's what's happening to the blue 86 GT.  After driving for awhile, it starts getting loud, then the car quits.  Have to wait a minute or two then you can drive again for awhile.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 09:47:25 pm »
Well, I couldn't find it anyway.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 08:31:57 pm »
Ashby came by Sunday and removed the tank.  The fuel lines inside the tank were just a glob of black putty.  We drained the gallon or so of what had been gasoline (4 years old) and he replaced the fuel pump, the lines in the tank and the sock filter.  Got it all back in, installed the battery Jerry provided, poured in about 4 gallons of fresh gasoline and turned on the ignition.  Got a good buzz from the pump.  Switch off and on for about 4 times to get the fuel all the way to the throttle body then hit the starter.

No start.  Poured some fuel into the engine and she fired off--and died.  Did that several times but the car still won't run on its own.  So Ashby went back underneath and pulled the line loose at the filter.  Turned on the ignition and we still don't have fuel coming out, so at some later time, he will be back to drop the tank again to see what's gone wrong. 

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 10:23:47 pm »
Turn the key on and off a few times to build up pressure, then pull the injector. You should get a nice spray of gas when you do. Don't have your face directly over it. If you do get the spray, either the injector is bad or it's not getting any pulses.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 12:15:38 am »
We cycled the ignition a number of times and also poured fuel into the throttle body.  He took the line off at the filter..  No fuel is reaching the filter.  And now, the fuel gauge that was showing nearly empty before the pump replacement is pegged all the way to the right top.

I've since gone back several times and cycled the switch and tried to start it without success. 

RobsFieros

• View Profile
    • East Tennessee Fiero Club
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 08:37:25 am »
Sounds like he didn't get the ground wire hooked up good.
Robert Finley
President-East Tennessee Fiero Club
Member- Georgia Fiero Club
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 02:00:36 pm »
The pump was cycling but we couldn't get any fuel out of the lines.

RobsFieros

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2009, 06:59:19 pm »
Probably need to blow the lines out with an air hose from the pump to the filter.
Robert Finley
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2009, 07:43:05 pm »
Ashby called this morning and said he'd be back tomorrow to get the Duke Coupe running.  He said he thought he had hooked up the wiring backwards.  Robbie said he was thinking the same thing. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2009, 11:28:36 pm »
SHE'S ALIVE!! SHE'S ALIVE!!

Ashby came out today and fixed whatever it was before I got back from Church.  Installed a new fuel filter and he was getting fuel there, but it still wouldn't start, though.  Didn't seem to be getting the fuel up to the throttle body.  He took the supply line loose at the throttle body and eventually got fuel there then the injector wasn't spraying.  A little cranking while tapping on the injector with a wrench did the trick.  Fuel gauge is still stuck to the far right, though. 

It started and sounded great, but Ashby started yelling to "turn it off before we have a fire!"  The valve cover is leaking badly.  Will be getting one of those and installing it as soon as the weather allows. 

The alternator isn't charging, so the next thing will be to replace that.  At least I can start it and run it on a fully charged battery to test for oil leaks, overheating and other things after the gasket replacement. 

Don called and said he had a tilt column to go in it and at the same time we'll install delay wipers since the switch is already in the column.  Don't know if you've ever gotten into one without tilt, but it's a bit difficult. 

Once we've got it on the road, we'll start using the car for tech sessions.  Dew wipe replacement, headliner replacement, headlight motor rebuild and wiper blades.  As far as I've been able to determine, aside from paint, these are the only things the car needs.  Before we paint it, Don and I discussed installing a decklid that has a remote trunk release and a luggage rack.  We decided against installing the chenille dingleberries around the windshield.

I have a late model Pontiac radio to go into it.  Eventually I'll get the harness to install it. 

I will be visiting Robbie in the next week or so to get the 88 dash to replace the badly cracked one that's in it, along with the dual GT exhaust. 

85GT

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2009, 01:07:46 am »
Charlie, Me & Dewey are going to Rob's this coming friday Dec 4th, If you want i can bring the dash back, Iam also bringing parts back for Pat.. Jerry

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2009, 07:02:56 am »
Thanks, I appreciate that.  It would save me a lot of time. 

RobsFieros

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2009, 08:03:52 am »
I'll get the parts together...and whatever else I need out of the shop... ;D
Robert Finley
RobsFieros58@comcast.net