Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: New Feature added to Website  (Read 16362 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
New Feature added to Website
« on: April 25, 2011, 04:06:24 pm »
CowsPatoot has given the club a program he used to have on his personal website. It's a speed calculator that lets you see the inter-action of different transmission gear ratios, tire sizes, and engine RPM values. The table is a lot more versatile than it first appears, also. For example, if you select a particular transmission, but yours has a different final ratio, you can just place your cursor where the default final ratio is, erase it, type in a new value, and press Enter. The results will be re-calculated at your new final ratio.
The three tables let you compare three different transmissions, selectable from drop-down menus.
To use this new feature, go the the club's main page, scroll down until you see "Speed Calculator" on the left, and click on it.
I plan to edit the program later, and add the dreaded automatic transmission to it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 04:12:54 pm by TopNotch »
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Donster

• View Profile
Re: New Feature added to Website
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 05:00:54 pm »
Just tested it with Anne's 84 with the Y8 econo tranny and entered her tire size; pretty darn accurate, only off by about 100-150 RPM's, which could also be my tach that is off by that much.

Cool

\D
Life is good!

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 05:09:15 pm »
Another factor that can affect accuracy is tire wear. The tire's diameter decreases as it wears.

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 05:54:10 pm »
True, but the 84 has less than 1k on the new tires. Still quite accurate.

\D
Life is good!

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 07:52:16 pm »
Glad to see this have a home again...I didn't realize how much I used it myself until cowspatoot.com died.

As far as the tires wearing and such....also keep in mind that two different brand tires of the same size will be slightly different in diameter.  The speed calculator uses the mathematical diameter using the equation (TireTreadWidth*TireProfile*2)/25.4)+(TireRimSize).  Theory says that the calculator is correct....but we all know the value of theory.

I don't envy the task of adding autos...I'm sure you can see why I didn't include them.  One of my concerns about it come from the fact that an auto cannot be directly compared to a manual because of the torque converter.  Perhaps have a second page dedicated to autos?  Are there any other calculations that could be added to make it more useful for autos?  Personally, I don't know autos well because I don't use them.

I have always kept an eye out for ways to improve this.  Currently, I am redesigning it for a BMW site.  Beyond putting different trannies in the database, it also requires me to remove the final drive from the tranny and add a drop down menu for the available diffs (rear wheel drive, tranny and axle ratios are separate).

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 08:06:05 pm »
Now I don't envy you!  ;D

\D
Life is good!

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 08:47:25 pm »
I just added a bug fix that CowsPatoot gave me. It only affacted F23 transmissions, so no one probably noticed it.

Fiero GTB

• I don't drive much, but when I do I drive my Fiero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 10:21:42 pm »

Honestly, it's stuff like this that makes GFC membership such a bargain!

Thanks!

Fiero GTB
Every time my GPS says, "Your ETA is...,"
   I hear, "Your Time to Beat is..."

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 06:23:21 pm »
That explains it.  I tried manually entering gear ratio and final drives for auto transmissions.  The results were ”interesting”.

It would be great to be able to see some common auto transmission info.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 05:54:23 pm by tshark »