Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Link to do a 3.4 Swap  (Read 25111 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Link to do a 3.4 Swap
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 10:51:03 am »
A very long overdue update on this thread.

Ray's engine proved to be useless, even as a boat anchor.  We found a good 2.8 and pulled the 3.4 out.  Obviously, we went back with the 15# Fiero injectors.  The car is still running great.

As for my 87's 3.4 install, I consulted Fuel Injection Connection and their recommendation was a hybrid pintle/disk style injector used in the BMW V8 engines.  It is rated at #17 at a pressure of 43.5 lb/hr.  That is the stock Fiero regulator pressure setting. 

According to a real-time scan, the car is running slightly lean, but it's not lean enough that I get any glowing manifolds.  Plenty of power for a basic stock setup. 

I have to digress to Raydar's admonition that the Camaro/Firebird Rochester injectors will give problems.  The stock Fiero ECM just doesn't react quickly enough to efficiently operate them.  It's possible that the 7730 ECM upgrade (10 times faster) could properly control the Rochester disk style injectors. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 06:09:24 pm »
What was wrong with Ray's 3.4?  I thought it ran on the bench, and ran in the car.  Then it was dead.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 06:43:35 pm »
The engine was supposed to be a recently rebuilt engine.  It was pulled from a wrecked Firebird in the kid's back yard.  It was his driver until he wrecked it.  To use Raydar's vernacular, it ran like KWAP.  It had to be pulled out because compression on two cylinders was below 100.  Ashby put in two new pistons and ring sets that brought the compression up, but the oil consumption was horrible, but wasn't smoking.  The 3.4 Rochester injectors ran so rich you couldn't bear to drive close behind it with your windows open.  When it was removed and torn down, the two cylinders that got new pistons and rings were badly pitted.  Obviously where water had stood in them before I bought the engine.  A previous buyer couldn't get the engine out of the car so he just pulled the intakes off it.  The seller said the hood had been closed all the time, so the engine was still clean.  It had obviously been rained in.  I put over $1000 into that engine and never recovered a dime. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 06:47:24 pm »
Ouch!  Well, at least you aren't sore about it.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 07:50:03 pm »
Well, not as sore as I was.  The seller had an appropriate email or username.  LouDoesAtlanta.  He surely did me. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 07:53:44 pm by Fierofool »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 08:14:54 pm »
LOL!  Sorry, I just had to laugh, but not at you.  Just the way you put it.  It sounds like the start of XXX.

Probably not in this case, but sometimes it's an honest mistake.  I was sold a product by a reputable vendor.  The product failed, but after a reasonable time.  The vendor replaced, at no charge to me.  The product failed, shortly after.  The vendor refunded my money.  More than reasonable.  Yes, I could've been killed, both times the product failed, but I would buy from that vendor again.  The product was faulty, and removed from the market.  Like I said, reputable.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 07:13:48 pm by tshark »