Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: THREADS ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING  (Read 92837 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: THREADS ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2018, 08:36:24 pm »
I wondered about that, too.  It's in Lebanon, MO.  You'd know better than I, but I think it's slightly different.

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2018, 10:41:00 am »
No mistake thats Buzz

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2018, 11:27:16 am »
I didn't post the pic to start anything; it was supposed to just be something cool.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2018, 11:39:47 am »
It's probably far enough away from Georgia Tech that it's of no concern.  And, it's not something that's used for profit.  Making money from it is where the problem usually surfaces. 

A similar incident here at home, where our local Winder-Barrow High School sports teams are named the Bulldoggs.  They originally had just 1 g until the University of Georgia threatened a lawsuit.  UGA is just about 15 miles away. 

A tshirt printing company I used to manage got approval from UGA to reproduce their logo but we had to pay a royalty to them for every shirt sold.  We also developed our own version by changing the tint of the red slightly and modifying the teeth.  Only someone with an official logo or a real UGA Bulldog fan would know the difference.  We paid no royalties on our design.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2018, 08:01:41 am »
I got an alert yesterday about a ransomware attack in Atlanta, GA.  Maybe I'm out of the loop, but that was the first I'd heard of this.  Anyone else know anything about this?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2018, 08:20:01 am »
It's been going on for a couple of weeks.  It was the City of Atlanta Government computers.  They've managed to recover some departments, but others are still inaccessible. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/27/us/cyberattack-atlanta-ransomware.html

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2018, 08:32:35 am »
Not much for backups, huh?  Several of my clients were attacked, but there were only a handful of files affected, in each case, due to planning for this sort of thing.  Everything shuts down, preventing any spread of the ransomware.  We never identified the source, possibly because none of the clients would pay for that effort.  We didn't pay, but were only "down" for about 1 hout.

My theory was to follow the money; whomever collects, follow them, but track, until the responsible people are found.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2018, 02:51:03 pm »
The speculation was that it was someone "outside our borders".
The ransom demand was $51,000 in bitcoins. Everyone was puzzled as to why they chose that amount. I suppose they figured that it was "small change" enough that it would be worth it to just pay up. They have probably spent significantly more than that, rebuilding the system(s).

I should mention that the Atlanta City Government seems to not be the most tightly run ship. Nothing about this surprises me, at all.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2018, 07:10:09 pm »
It is very hard when dealing with government entities.  They choose incompetent people to do things, because they are trying to curry favor.  Many of the employees do the least they can, basically just collect a check.  No matter how often I've cleaned up, re-trained, provided documentation, etc, they usually will not change.  They refuse to prevent issues, but also to cure them.  Usually, after a mess like this, they'll pay a fortune to get back up and running, but refuse to rake steps to prevent it from happening again.

If you figure 3 weeks, times 60 hours per week, times $500/hr, that's $90,000.  Of course, they probably have more than 1 contractor helping, so multiply by however many people.  I chose 60 hours, because with government entities that's usually the workload, but even at 40 hours, it's $60,000 per contractor for 3 weeks' labor.  That doesn't count the money spent on lost productivity for employees to do nothing while their systems are down.

To be sure, there are some who try, bug not the majority.

Robs Fieros

• President of the East Tennessee Fiero Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2018, 09:14:12 pm »
I mowed my yard today.
President of East Tennessee Fiero Club

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2018, 03:26:13 pm »
I am in the planning stages of replacing my AC compressor and other AC system parts.  So, I've been online ordering parts.  Compressor, receiver dryer and orifice tube. 

I ordered a new HR-6 compressor on eBay, putting in the vehicle as an 87 Pontiac Fiero GT 2.8 V6 engine.  The website confirmed that it was an exact replacement.  Well, it wasn't.  It had a pulley for a serpentine belt instead of a V-belt.  Calls to them go to a voice mailbox and they haven't returned my call in 3 days.  Neither have they responded to my email in 2 days.  jamcoautoparts on eBay. 

Came in on time in a box within a box.  The outer box measures 12 1/4 x 9 1/4 x 9.  I ordered the orifice tube and receiver dryer from AutoZone.  Both items on the same order.  Both came in at the same time but in separate boxes.  Receiver dryer in a box within a box.  Orifice tube in a box within a box.  Both were shipped from the same location. 

The real kicker and the point of this (and a bit of a rant) is how you get hit for shipping charges when it's less than the minimum for free shipping, and packaging.  All 3 items came in in the identical size boxes.  That's right, the orifice tube came in a 12 x 9 x 9 outer box, with a tiny little 1 x 1 x 6 inch box containing the tube.  Had they combined my dryer and orifice tube as one order the way I placed it, and sent it in one box, my shipping charges would have been ZERO.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2018, 06:14:11 pm »
They use large boxes, because they have fixed-rate shipping, and large boxes are easier for carriers to keep track of.  Even if you order 3 products from the same place, and they come from the same warehouse, to the same address, and the same person packages them, it's easier for them to use multiple boxes and charge you shipping times 3 than it is to pack them together.

I ordered kids' watches, and they were shipped in separate boxes.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 22, 2018, 06:48:56 pm »
I drove to work in moderately heavy rain, this morning.  While driving down the road, I happened to see a dark green Midget GT convertible, with the top down.  An older man was driving, and we were going 50+ MPH.  He was wearing goggles.  From time to time, he'd wipe his hair.  At first I wasn't sure, but then I observed that he would occasionally pick up a mug and apparently drink from it.  I guess it's convertible weather.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2018, 06:52:59 pm »
For supper tonight, we had spaghetti, served in a big pot.  While we were eating, the officers showed up for our background check.  The officers asked some questions.  The kids were eating in the kitchen.  Suddenly, my son's voice came through plainly, "Would someone pass the pot?"  I hope we pass.

Robs Fieros

• President of the East Tennessee Fiero Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2018, 02:16:16 pm »
I am back at home now and brought my new laptop  with me.
President of East Tennessee Fiero Club