Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Autozone *~!#  (Read 14285 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Autozone *~!#
« on: July 02, 2017, 10:00:05 pm »
I received a call from my ”daughter”, who is trying to be independent.  Her car wouldn't start.  She diagnosed the issue as the battery.  Now, I've tried to talk her into getting AAA, but she says it's too expensive.  Anyway, I grabbed a vise-grips and flathead screw driver, and went to get her.  Yep, dead, as in doornail.  No click, no lights, no radio.  I will point out that she had her oil changed 3 days ago, and the battery and alternator tested OK.

Anyway, I gave her a jump, and her car started right up, but ran rough--probably because it needs to re-learn everything.  Fuel gauge on E, with the light and chime, so I warned her again that she needs to keep it at half or more of a tank, then followed her to the gas station and gave her a jump, then went to autozone to get a battery.  Not my favorite place.  We asked if they would install the battery, and the autozone lady said ”Yes”.   She asked what the car was, but had never heard of Pontiac.  Then, she made us go get the battery.  Then, she refused to do the install, because ”our guy who does that isn't in today.”  Really!  So, we asked to borrow the tools.  She brought out a plastic case, but couldn't figure out how to open it, despite instructions and arrows on the self-explanatory tabs.

The tool set was a socket set, with a collection of tools that I would've just thrown away.  Several duplicate sockets, many missing, none in the right places, and none of the sizes we needed.  We replaced the battery (which was full up on fluid) with the vise grips and screw driver.  Car fired right up.

Why do these car-ignorant people with no mechanical or customer skills or knowledge work at car places?

GrannyLinda

• I'm On The Right Track Baby, I WAS BORN THIS WAY !
    • View Profile
Re: Autozone *~!#
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 07:53:31 am »
If I May Suggest, First Of All Give Her AAA As A 4th Of July Present.
Second Make Her A Small Emergency Tool Box.
Do Not Forget Jumper Cables.
A First Aid Kit Would Be Good Also     
I'm On The Right Track Baby !!!!
I WAS BORN THIS WAY !!!!

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 08:16:53 am »
Good idea, but she is trying hard to be independent.  I've told her that I can't always come rescue her.

Right now, her kit contains a towel, sunglasses, and a window scraper.  Yeah, a first aid kit may be a good idea for her.  I'm a bit worried about jumper cables.  I can just see them being hooked up backwards.

She didn't grow up around cars, and it took a long time to teach her basic things.  She has a bf, now, but I noticed she didn't call him.  When I arrived, she was with a bunch of guys, none of whom had jumper cables or knew how to use them.

I guess I provide a contrast to the guys her age.  So far, they haven't been able to change a tire, add washer fluid (she did it herself), check the oil, or replace the rear wiper.  She's afraid to ask her bf to replace the cabin air filter.  I have done some things, but others things I've told her where she can have them done, just because she needs to handle these things on her own.

As things sit, she has taken responsibility for her insurance, her personal property taxes, her oil changes, and fuel.  Still working on tire rotation.  She is good with watching the gauges.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 08:23:28 am »
No guarantee with AAA that you won't get a former parts store employee.  When Mel was pregnant, I had to go to a meeting out of state.  While I was gone, she noticed that the right rear tire had gone flat.  She called AAA, who said they'd get someone right out when she told them she was close to delivery.  When I got home late that night, I noticed that the right rear tire was still flat.  I found that they had put the snow tire spare on the right front, and put the perfectly well inflated front tire back into the trunk. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 07:07:10 am »
You're just full of good news.  That person made my parts store experience look much better.  Good thing for that guy that Mel didn't catch the AAA guy's mistake.

2 of my 3 sisters can do automotive basics.  The younger one rebuilt the top end of her engine.  The middle one replaced her brake master cylinder, brake calipers, fuel pump, and radiator fan.

After the call from my ”daughter”, my wife asked me to put jumper cables in her truck.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:41:31 pm by GTRS Fiero »

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 07:57:02 am »

My Favorite Quote,   Babba Ram Dass Said ;   Don't worry Be Happy   My Favorite Band, THE BAND sang ..Life is a Carnnival..

My emergency tool box ends up like my "going to Pull-a-part Box" You know what you need but you don't know what you may want.