Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Fierobird?  (Read 15328 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Fierobird?
« on: August 23, 2017, 06:16:20 pm »
Since I keep seeing Fieros that have been converted to front engine, what would happen if you went the other way?

Suppose you started with a 2003 Trans Am and moved the engine and transmission to the rear?  Parts could be cannibalized from a Fiero or fabricated for the cradle, front tub, and various mounting.  The Firebird would have to be cut in half, the rear seats removed, a firewall added, various fluid lines run, the gas tank changed to the center tunnel, and the trunk would have to be added.  I'm simplifying, but this would surely be easier than swapping the Firebird interior and a 350 V8 into a Fiero.

For extra fun, when going in for the inspection, you could mount a wheel with a hampster next to a coil with electrodes that would energize the hampster, and have a little shaft from the wheel that ran to back toward the cab.

GTXVette

• View Profile
Re: Fierobird?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 08:13:40 pm »
   Since I keep seeing Fieros that have been converted to front engine, what would happen if you went the other way?

you would then be Backing Up.

do you mean Completely Behind the rear wheels? results would be less than Impressive unless you were looking to do 1/4 Mile wheelstands.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 08:26:57 pm »
Do it like the old Hurst Barracuda.  It was a Hemi Under Glass.  You could see the engine by looking down through the rear glass.  Probably could use something like the Toronado transmission and a fuel cell up front for safety. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 09:28:24 pm »
One of the guys on Pennocks did a Fiero/Eclipse hybrid. I forget the details - and what was what - but it looked like a lot of trouble.

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 09:54:53 pm »

Suppose you started with a 2003 Trans Am and moved the engine and transmission to the rear?  Parts could be cannibalized from a Fiero or fabricated for the cradle, front tub, and various mounting.  The Firebird would have to be cut in half, the rear seats removed, a firewall added, various fluid lines run, the gas tank changed to the center tunnel, and the trunk would have to be added.  I'm simplifying, but this would surely be easier than swapping the Firebird interior and a 350 V8 into a Fiero.

You realize that's basically what I did on the Cabrio, right? 450 hrs. so far to get it to this point. It's not even close to how "easy" it is to swapping a V8 & interior in a Fiero...
http://angelonearth.net/VW.html
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 10:27:28 pm »
The idea would be to keep the mid-engine layout, but seriously upgrade the suspension, and have a newer vehicle, with greater parts availability.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 10:29:09 pm »
You realize that's basically what I did on the Cabrio, right? 450 hrs. so far to get it to this point. It's not even close to how "easy" it is to swapping a V8 & interior in a Fiero...

Um, which one would be easier?

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 03:12:06 am »

Um, which one would be easier?
Swapping an engine & interior is one of the easiest major mods you can do to a car. Moving the location of the engine from front to rear takes a LOT of work.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 07:05:16 am »
More or less work than moving the engine from the rear to the front?

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 06:52:57 am »
More or less work than moving the engine from the rear to the front?
I think moving the engine to the front, at least in a Fiero, would be a lot easier. That is if you're going for a front engine, rear wheel drive.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 07:34:48 am »
The Fiero has very limited space in front.  Issue?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 08:03:54 am »
Eric Schneck, aka Boomtastic over in Alabama has done it.

https://www.boomtastic.com/racing.html
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 08:12:37 am »
Doesn't clear the hood.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 10:14:38 am »
way back when My little brother and I were doing his 400SB/v-8 archie swap,I worked on caddy's and brought home a 425 trans for fitment "Practice"  they keep the engine SOOOO far back there would be more weight Behind the rear wheels than front wheels and the thought of using the Gas pedal in a turn was down right Scary.

now when I looked into a front engine set-up I wanted the engine farther back than the Boomer car and it would clear the hood. they say they built a tube frame for their's but if I were to go that far it would be Mid engine.

I mentioned this is when I decided to just do a C4 corvette, I do still prefer the Smallness of the Fiero, but I am not sure the Chassie and suspension could handle this Big Block I Built.  still buying the car in Jax.  but the loss of the Blazer for parts sales will prevent me from Making the Challenge at all this year. Oh Well, there's next year!