Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Anniversary of sorts...  (Read 16557 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Anniversary of sorts...
« on: September 19, 2017, 06:51:41 pm »
9/25 of this year will mark one year since I joined here.  It has been good for me, and I wish I was at least 5 hours closer.  I've become better ”acquainted” with the regulars, and some of us have found we have other interests in common.  I appreciate the help I've received here, both for my Fiero, and the occasional pick-me-ups when I'm feeling low.  Fierofool has gone out of his way for me, which I appreciate more that I can express.

It's nice that GFC is small enough that you all mostly know each other.  As I posted elsewhere, I've had fun reading through all the posts here.  If you have spare time, I highly recommend this.  One of my favorite threads is the one about the clickity-click, but no beepity-beep, or some such.  I've read through the threads where some of you shared your own hard times, but most of the threads read like family conversations.  I've felt welcome here, and I appreciate that.

For my part, I've tried to participate (remotely) as best as I can.  Sometimes, I feel badly when I read that there were only 4 people at a meeting, but at least the RFTH turnout was 13 or so Fieros.  Nothing is the same as being present, and in that I've failed, thus far.  My memory is so bad that I must've forgotten it somewhere, but I have tried to remember things that people have shared as concerns.  It's worse in person, when I can't remember anyone's name.

I don't want to overstay my welcome.  My question for the members here, is, may I stay?  No pressure.

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
Re: Anniversary of sorts...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 08:15:25 pm »
By all means, STAY!
It seems that everyone enjoys your input and views as well, I know I do.
Happy upcoming Anniversary! I hope you enjoy many more.
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 08:25:08 pm »
I'm glad you're here.  You're no trouble and you get the forum up and moving again when there's been little activity.  I've enjoyed your 'never ending saga' thread, not from a snickering point of view, but as a tutorial of things that can happen on the simplest of jobs.

You and I have shared a lot in the background, and I appreciate that.  Any help given has been my pleasure if it helped and unless you can produce proof in writing, I deny giving any that was a dud. 

I do hope you can make it down here next year for RFTH 23 that will incorporate The Dragon.  Start arranging a babysitter for the kids right now, and bring the wife. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 08:06:05 am »
Well, thank you both.

Once I get my Fiero back, I'll fill in my thoughts on the process.

Start arranging a babysitter for the kids right now, and bring the wife.

Babysitter?  Other than daycare, my kids almost never had one.  Daycare was mainly for social reasons a few days a week.  The only time my kids were watched overnight was 1 night, my daughter stayed with my parents, when my son was born.  My kids are almost always with me.  My wife doesn't get a kick out of roads like that.  We would likely all make the trip together, but probably, one or both of the kids would stay with my wife and just meet up with us.  It isn't really reasonable to expect energetic kids to sit in the car for 8+ hours one day, so they can spend 8 hours sitting in the car the next day, then 8+ hours sitting in the car the following day.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 08:21:14 am »
I'm glad you're here.  You're no trouble and you get the forum up and moving again when there's been little activity.

You know, thus far, I'm new blood.  Once we get to the 25th, I'll be old blood.  You all know all about my Fiero.  Once you see it and meet me in person, there won't be much more interest, and few updates.  We need more of the 24 people who joined since me to share their stuff.  If everyone shares their interests and updates, there'll be plenty of activity.

Much of my activity is because I'm not local, and don't see you all at meetings.  The regulars talk offline, so have little need to repeat themselves by posting here.  If I were local, it'd be the same for me.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 08:55:10 am »
I really don't think offline communication is that frequent or widespread among the members.  Lots of those new members since you and even before you have never even posted, or they were only here to sell something or get something.  Once that was accomplished, they never came back.  Those who are regulars are here to help one another.  Speaking for myself, I may not comment on a project, but it doesn't mean that I don't follow it or am not interested in it. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 06:19:26 pm »
You don't talk at meetings?  I didn't mean PMs.  I meant in person.  I figure that, if I regularly attended monthly meetings with you all, that I'd have no need to post some of the things I posted;  I could ask questions at the next meeting, or show my car in person.

Well, I used to not comment, but then I read Sardonyx' build thread, and had an experience of my own on PFF.  After someone goes through a lot of work, then proudly takes pictures and provides detail, only to have no one comment, is very disheartening, after a while.  So, they post less and less, and often do less and less on their Fiero.  It's like people who exercise, IF someone else does it with them, or IF they have someone to compete with.  Think of going to a party, and no one acknowledges your presence.  I post on some threads, just to have something to acknowledge the OP's effort.  There are only a few topics per day, here.  My feeling is that, if no one else replies to a topic, I'll try to reply something.

By the same token, I've read a lot of threads that are now useless.  A thread may have started with a URL, or contain images that were hosted elsewhere.  Now, the images are gone, and the links don't work.  I've gone through all my posts here and tried to make sure that the content is still usable for future readers.  To this end, 2 of my recent product posts will get more descriptive titles, once my Fiero returns and I can test the products.  When I create a topic, I'm responsible for it, and try to maintain it.  I've removed some of my posts, and a topic.  I've been tempted to remove any of my topics that garnered no replies, on the theory that such topics weren't a benefit to this forum.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 06:22:54 pm »
You don't talk at meetings?  I didn't mean PMs.  I meant in person.

We talk mostly car talk at meetings. (After all, it is a car club.) Some other talk manages to squeeze in there, too.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 08:11:17 pm »
As Pat says, we talk car and club talk during the meeting.  We try to keep personal conversations out of the meetings.  Before and after meeting conversations cover almost anything, including car talk, personal, family, other forums.  Anything. 

Like you, I sometimes will post to someone who's not had a reply, just to let them know that someone is out here.  As for pics, I always suggest that people download our version of PIP so that their build thread, how-to thread, car show thread, road trip thread, or baby being born thread will retain all of it's information.  You know, "a picture is worth a thousand words".  Many pictures have disappeared due to photobucket, imageshack, and other hosting services changing their rules or that the hosting time has expired. 

I know that many people have only a cell phone for their internet and can't use PIP for posting pictures.  Pics posted from their phone or tablet will show up, but only to a registered member who is logged in.  When I look at a thread of an engine build, repair, or a What's This?  I can't see their pictures unless I've actually logged in.  I think that may frustrate some and turn some possible members away because they don't know why they can't see the pictures. 

I think most of us want pictures to be visible to the casual browser, too.  If we can help the casual browser through a problem, I think they would be more likely to register as a forum member. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 08:43:50 pm »
I think all my stuff here is hosted here.  I've tried to make it so.  I agree.  It's frustrating when you have to register to see images.  I think it took hours for you to approve me.  I'd have been long gone, had I been waiting on images in a thread.

The other thing that's really sad, is an event that occurs, but the thread just dies after the event.  Suppose there were 72 Fieros at an event.  Wouldn't you figure there would be at least 10 people posting something?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 08:49:49 pm »
As Pat says, we talk car and club talk during the meeting.  We try to keep personal conversations out of the meetings.  Before and after meeting conversations cover almost anything, including car talk, personal, family, other forums.  Anything. 

Of course.  My point being that, if you couldn't be at the meetings for 6 months, for example, you would post more, covering the topics you would've covered at the meeting.  Since I'm currently reading the S10 booster upgrade topic, I'll use it as an example.  When I did mine, I could've shown it off at a meeting, rather than post a pic.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 09:02:25 pm »
It can be documented in a forum thread, and shown at a meeting.  That way, those who did and didn't come to the meeting can see and benefit, as well as the casual browser that we want to entice to join. 

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 06:13:35 am »
Happy almost-sort-of-anniversary!
I enjoy reading your posts/ threads. Some more than others, but I'm glad you joined. You added some vigor to the forum.

It's easy to get discouraged about creating a build thread that nobody comments on. But many times, people are reading and taking notes.
I always try to "cheerlead" a bit, to encourage the thread/build creator, but I obviously can't do that with every thread. (JohnWPB moved his 3800 Worklog thread out of the "Construction Zone" on Pennocks for just that reason, so you're not alone.)
Lots of times I'll discover a build thread that I had overlooked, when I do a search on topics of current interest. For example, I bought a Duke-powered car about a year ago. Up until that time, I had skipped over most of the Duke info/build threads because they weren't relevant to me. (I did read Pat's "rebuild" XD4 thread, and some of the SD stuff.) When I started doing work on my own Duke, I was amazed at the amount of info that was already out there. It's all a matter of perspective.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 07:22:17 am »

Dude you have been on here Twice as long as I have, and I see you as a Very Important Part of this "Club". I am not even a Member of the GFC ....yet.... and have felt welcome since day one, thanks to all,  and I drive a 93 buick, wife says if I were to sell off some (stuff)aka Junk I could have a nice car but you know I am Dreamer and think I would just dry up and blow away without my Stuff.
I can tell by the things you do post you are Part of the Gang Mentality that we Share here so Carry on. get here when you can.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 07:27:58 am »
Thanks.

Certainly, everything I'm doing to my Fiero has been done before, but not by me.  For me, much of this is new.  Even the things that have been done before may have been done differently.

Raydar, are you going to have an XD4?