Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: My Misc Fiero issues  (Read 125286 times)

f85gtron

• View Profile
Re: Misc Fiero issues
« Reply #165 on: May 28, 2018, 08:08:25 am »
I learned something new yesterday: the injectors need to match.  If you have a "matched" set of injectors that aren't identical, your ECU will have problems figuring things out.  Apparently, the ECU knows something about the injectors, liking some types, but not other types.
close.  the ecm doesn't know anything about the injectors, BUT, it is programmed with dwells, offsets, holds, algorithms that start the opening process and closing process for each shot, based on fuel pump voltage, battery voltage, map, and some other things I've forgotten.
so, those calcs are only good for one part number injector. if another model is installed, that's when the fun starts. the only remedies are to reprogram the ecm, or install the proper injector.
to that end, yes, the injectors should at least match, if not be correct too.
this is the reason pintle vs. disk is a valid argument.
hope this helps
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:10:25 am by f85gtron »
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 28, 2018, 08:12:03 am »
These injectors are leaking.   They'll all be replaced.  I'm undecided on staying with 17# injectors, or going back to the stock injectors.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 28, 2018, 09:37:11 am »
3.4, right?
either 17# or Ford 305 injectors (19#).  I've got the Ford injectors, but lowered the maps to around 45% duty cycle (from 70%), which doesn't make sense, but it works.
the factory 17# should work well, as long as they match. Did you go 7730? i can't remember.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 28, 2018, 09:41:13 am »
Yes, '7730.  It has the TFS Accel 17# injectors, but half are yellow, and half are grey.  They look very differently.  Ryan said it is programmed for 15# or 17#.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 28, 2018, 11:07:32 am »
what Ryan meant by programming for either/or was he programmed the fuel map in between and is counting on the ecm to compensate. however, if the injectors offsets in the ecm program don't match the injectors installed, it will run anything but perfect (I don't accept anything but perfect, to my dismay). 
you'll have hunting idle, weird acceleration characteristics.  basically, picture a dog chasing its tail.  your ecm is looking for the sweet spot, but it's constantly changing and it isn't where it's supposed to be. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 31, 2018, 06:48:59 pm »
Can oil come up through the tube on the front valve cover to the intake boot, and then through the intake?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 07:04:12 am by GTRS Fiero »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #171 on: May 31, 2018, 07:43:42 pm »
Yes.  If there's a lot of blow-by or a defective or stuck PCV valve is allowing a lot of crankcase pressure.  There is a natural oil fog that's pulled through that tube and burned.  It isn't unusual to see an oil stain in the breather tube, but there shouldn't be excessive oil present.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 31, 2018, 07:46:04 pm »
There is no oil in the tube from the PCV valve, which clicks like a champ.

How did the Fiero originally do without that tube?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #173 on: May 31, 2018, 09:16:28 pm »
There was a rubber hose that attached from the front valve cover to a metal tube on the front firewall.  The other of the metal tube had a rubber hose that attached to a nipple on the back of the air filter canister.  That was the pre-recall setup.  In the recall, the rubber hoses were removed and the nipple on the filter canister was capped or the canister was replaced with a new design.  The intake snorkle was replaced with a new design and the metal tube was installed into the front valve cover grommet and into a port in the new design intake snorkle. 

The PCV valve is in the trunk side valve cover.  The front metal hose doesn't have a PCV valve in it. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 31, 2018, 09:25:53 pm »
Right, about the PCV valve.

When the recall was done on my '88, maybe they were lazy.  The intake tube was replaced, and the metal tube that runs from the front valve cover to the intake tube was installed, but the air cannister wasn't capped, and the metal tube against the firewall was not removed--or capped.  I restored the cannister I had, capped that hole, and installed new gaskets.  I capped, then later removed the tube against the firewall.  My cannister was replaced with one that isn't as nice, but it doesn't have that hole.  I have no idea what happened to that gasket, so I'll have to get another one.

In my '86 Fiero, someone cut a hole in the intake tube and duct-taped the metal tube from the valve cover into place.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 13, 2018, 05:55:01 pm »
So, the EGR isn't working at all.  The lower intake gasket will have to be replaced.  The brand new Rodney cat is bad.  The crank sensor seems to have issues that are getting more pronounced.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 18, 2018, 06:47:53 pm »
Discovered power on the harness where there should be ground.  Hope it didn't hurt the ECM or the ICM.  Replacing the injectors.  Looks as if the MAP sensor is bad.  Going to move the coil packs to the block, which should ensure a common ground.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 29, 2018, 04:18:55 am »
The coolant leak at the overflow tank was due to a pinhole leak in the hose.

Still no cruise.  Awaiting parts, but USPS lost them.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 03, 2018, 07:17:28 pm »
Replaced exhaust manifolds, again.

Have new matching injectors.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 05, 2018, 05:56:06 pm »
Slowly getting through the issues.

Found the right side transmission seal and the pan gasket are leaking.  Also the harness is stuck behind the coolant crossover tube.  Gotta pull the cradle.  Joy.

Going to go with studs for the exhaust manifolds.  Waiting on gaskets.

Going to replace the axle nuts and inner seals.  I see another alignment in my near future.