Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Gotta drop the cradle on my 3800 car again...  (Read 1795 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Gotta drop the cradle on my 3800 car again...
« on: March 06, 2022, 06:03:18 pm »
I'll cover my cradle drop in this thread.
In case you don't know, the $400 Ebay transmission I put in the car almost died last November when I went to my brother's house in Texas for Thanksgiving. I had put that transmission in the car when the one that came in it died on RFTH. I seem to have bad luck with transmissions in this car.
Anyhow, the weather has been nice for a while, so I have been making preparations to drop the cradle. As before, I will lift the car by the rear bumper, but this time, I'm saving some work by not removing the "egg crate" from the metal bumper.

I cut a hole in the plastic "apron" under the metal bumper, and passed the chain between the egg crate and bumper. I did this because the egg crate is held to the bumper using "blind" nuts, and they tend to turn when you turn the bolts. And putting the egg crate back on is a real bear. So I'm just leaving it on this time.
I just have a few more things to disconnect before I can lift the car, but since it is supposed to rain all next week, it'll be a while before I do that, and update this thread again.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

AJ_87Fiero

• View Profile
Re: Gotta drop the cradle on my 3800 car again...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 02:11:04 pm »
*Subscribed*
Student #1 in Pat's Masterclass.
87 Fiero Coupe

NoMad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 03:47:23 pm »
Out of curiosity, which trans keeps blowing? Might be able to source a stronger replacement or find out what the limitations of the trans are and if their is a remedy.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 08:04:58 pm »
I was going to suggest a manual swap, but I won't go there.
I love mine, even bolted to the 4.9, but it's a complete PITA to do.

I hope there is still a warranty on the eBay trans. Even with... I'd still be really mad.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 09:16:05 pm »
There was a 1 year warranty. I bought it in October 2020, and it failed in November 2021. It is what it is.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 09:26:48 pm »
Out of curiosity, which trans keeps blowing?
4T60E. Both transmissions had a lot of miles, and unknown history. I expect a freshly rebuilt one to do better.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 05:21:58 pm »
Today was a good day to pick up a car...

A 4x4 just forward of where the front of the cradle attaches, on jack stands, holds up the car.

The last time I did this I almost ruined my air dam, so this time I put big timber pieces that I happened to have under the car for it to rest on while the rear was picked up. After putting the car on the 4x4 and releasing the shop crane, the front lifts up a bit.

After pulling the engine out (on my homemade dolly), I put a tarp on it, because it's supposed to storm tonight.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2022, 06:15:56 pm »
If you can lash that tarp down, you may want to.  With the milder winds we had last week, my fitted car cover came off because I didn't put the security cable on it.  This afternoon, I cinched it down well in preparation for what they're predicting to be some much stronger storms. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

SpadeCustoms

• View Profile
    • Spade Customs
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2022, 02:52:04 am »
You haven't bent up your metal bumper bracing doing this?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2022, 01:52:08 pm »
Not even slightly. Those things must be made of some kind of high carbon steel. You could probably make a good knife out of some of that steel.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2022, 04:03:05 pm »

I've also lifted my car using the bumper bar (without the "eggcrate") with no issues.
But I got tired of removing the bumper cover, and just looped the chain through the channel at the front of the trunk compartment.

SpadeCustoms

• View Profile
    • Spade Customs
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2022, 12:47:43 pm »

I've also lifted my car using the bumper bar (without the "eggcrate") with no issues.
But I got tired of removing the bumper cover, and just looped the chain through the channel at the front of the trunk compartment.

That's usually how I do mine but I took everything off as you can see from my Facebook. Hooking through the trunk bracing does make it interesting rolling an motor and cradle out the side. I will use the bumper support this time putting it back in since it will give me a lot more maneuverability to swing this 4.9 in.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2022, 09:17:07 am »
While my engine is out of the car, I've taken the opportunity to address my exhaust problems. You may recall from my previous reports on the car that my rear exhaust manifold is cracked. It seems to be home-made, and I don't think that it was made quite right. When the cross-over pipe is attached and tightened, it seems to put stress on the manifold, which, I think, caused the cracks. I welded the cracks (again), but I'm afraid that the stress could cause more cracks. So I found another manifold on Ebay. The picture below shows my manifold with the one I bought.

Rather than doing any cutting or welding on the "new" manifold, I just plugged the O2 sensor hole, and made a plate to cover the outlet. (My O2 sensor is on the other side of the engine.) I cleaned the manifold and sprayed it with high temp silicone exhaust coating.

I also cleaned and coated the front manifold, which, by the way, is cast, and not cracked. And just in case I have to use it, I cleaned and coated the old rear manifold.
The instructions on the can of exhaust coating say to bake the sprayed parts at at least 400 degrees to cure it. So I set my oven to 425 and put the pieces in. And, of course, my smoke alarms went off after a while, so I had to open some windows and clear the air. But at least, the parts are coated and cured now.
You may recall in my earlier report that I had found the rear manifold to have been installed with no gasket. Well, the front one also  had no gasket, and i think it was leaking slightly. Thay may explain why the vacuum line to the transmission modulator kept melting. I'll use a gasket when I put it back on.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2022, 04:29:32 pm »
Good work.  I used to bake intakes and  valve covers when I sprayed them with ceramic engine paint.  Never had the smoke alarm go off but I did have a hard time explaining the smell to Melanie when she came home.

What did you use as a seal beneath the block off plate?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 04:31:54 pm by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2022, 08:34:36 pm »
What did you use as a seal beneath the block off plate?
It fits tight against the opening, and at first I thought it might be tight enough by itself, but then I remembered I had this stuff called Muffler Weld, so I smeared some of that on the opening. That will make a tight, heat proof seal.
I think the smoke came from some crud inside the Ebay manifold. It must have come from a badly running engine.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 08:40:27 pm by TopNotch »