Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: This Saturday... Early club meeting, and work day at Northlake.  (Read 15686 times)

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Since the meeting is to be a breakfast meeting, and everyone will be gone from the Galaxy and at the shop long before 1:30, I thought it would be prudent to post here, in case any late comers decide to attend.

Breakfast at the Galaxy is at 10:00. (Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken, or admins just edit my post if you want.)
Afterwards we will adjourn to MikeMac's; aka Northlake Automotive. http://www.northlakeautomotive.com/ to work on the club car.

scottb

• View Profile
Re: This Saturday... Early club meeting, and work day at Northlake.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 09:02:41 pm »
and..... unfortunately I will not be able to attend. My primary vehicle has developed a miss or a dead cylinder that must be repaired before Monday morning at 415 am and since Sunday is Mothers Day........ I hate that I have to cancel at the last minute.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 09:14:47 pm »
Bummer!  Hope you get it fixed quickly.

Anyone else willing to tackle the column repair tomorrow?
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 09:36:50 pm »
If a spare is available, I can swap it, fairly quickly. Don't know enough about taking one apart.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 09:41:26 pm »
I'm bringing my steering column tools. I can do it.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 09:54:36 pm »
Funny while I typed out what the last two posts amounted to they both answered for me and the post wouldn't go through, so what they said. but it's raining so not going to the swap meet.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 09:58:35 pm »
If someone posts while you're typing your post, you'll get an alert when you click the Post button.  You can still choose to post or not to post.  It's just a nice feature.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 10:38:04 pm »
Funny while I typed out what the last two posts amounted to they both answered for me and the post wouldn't go through, so what they said. but it's raining so not going to the swap meet.

So come over to The Diner, instead.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 07:57:53 pm »
The steering column is fixed. And the headlights, which didn't work before the column fix suddenly did after it was put back in.
It has a miss when it runs -- could be a bad injector. Fierofool can testify that there's spark, after getting zapped a couple of times.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 09:01:27 pm by TopNotch »
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 08:57:08 pm »
  You know the Road they talk about that good Intensions paved............. Bit me Today!     Didn't Load a trailer for the Swap meet because it rained thursday and some Friday, couldn't sleep and was up most of the night Because it Wasn't raining so by 5 I said Heck May as well go Look at the swap meet then Pauls and swing by Northlake, It was sunny here when I left at 6 by the time I got to Commerce 8:15 you could Bairly see through the fog,
 now I've had this Idea of putting a Jag center section in My Vette because I had been told it was a Dana 60  so while at the meet found a new 4.10 gear set and bought it.       stayed too long and Paul was calling to ask If I was still coming    So set out for his house and never got there because I kept loosing Phone signal,      so when I gave up and headed back to Atl. Signal came back and I caused him to Not get his stuff done. Finialy got home  120 miles each way..... and it started raining SO hard I couldn't belive it. so went to the shop with my new gear,      Jags are Dana 44's not 60's  CRAP,, waited for the rain to Stop and after drying out some Went to cut the Grass and Half way through the Shut down cable Broke and won't run till I fix it! didn't get any thing done right.     P- Oed, Paul .    and didn't Meet any of ya'll  Fine day Somewhere, But not here, Paul I am truely Sorry. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 09:00:47 pm by GTXVette »

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 08:21:41 am »
The steering column is fixed. And the headlights, which didn't work before the column fix suddenly did after it was put back in.
It has a miss when it runs -- could be a bad injector. Fierofool can testify that there's spark, after getting zapped a couple of times.

The headlights didn't work because the switch contacts weren't "making".
They started working when the column was reinstalled because the high and low beams are both routed through the dimmer. On the column. 
The parking lights, tails, and motors worked with the column still on the bench. :D

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 09:02:47 am »
Was this on the little duke, or the fastback formula?

oldone

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 10:47:43 am »
the fastback.
the world is a sh t sandwich and everyday is another little bite

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 02:32:10 pm »
Everything on the Lil' Duke Coupe works 'cept the AC. 

Edited for clarification.

After Pat had reinstalled the column (in the fastback) we delved into the skip in the engine.  Number 3 cylinder.  An IR thermometer indicated that the cylinder is running 50-75% hotter than numbers 1 and 3 5.  Pulling the plug wire has no effect on the engine, with no change in sound.  Someone suggested that the higher temp is caused by a lean burn condition. 

Our discussion and initial diagnosis is that we have a sticky or clogged injector on that cylinder.  Mike is going to run a can of Toyota Injector Cleaner through it.  This is a cleaner that's run straight into the fuel rail at the Schraeder Valve.  The fuel pump relay is disconnected, the return fuel line is clamped, and the car actually runs on the cleaner until it stalls when the content of the can is consumed. 

Should that not solve the problem, I have a set of upper intake gaskets and a set of stock Fiero injectors that will be installed.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 06:36:50 pm by Fierofool »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 05:18:23 pm »
That numbers 1 & 2, or 1 & 4?