Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: My Misc Fiero issues  (Read 125285 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Misc Fiero issues
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2017, 07:45:01 am »
Originally, I thought he said he used the 3.4 pan, but he said it was the 2.8 at pickup, because the 3.4 baffles would have to be modified.  Made no sense.  I asked why not then use the 3.4 stick, but he said it'd be off, also.

Sounds as if I just need the spacer.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2017, 11:11:11 am »
The 3.4 stick is much longer than the 2.8.  Can't use the 3.4 tube because it's routed differently.  If a 3.4 pump and pickup is used, logic will tell you no modification is needed to fit an oil pan that was designed for that pump and pickup.  I've never heard of anyone using a 2.8 pump and pickup on a 3.4, but if so, it might require modifying the baffles.  The 2.8 pump is a lower volume pump, too. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2017, 11:18:58 am »
Haven't forgotten about your headlight door issue.  I don't know what I did with the strips I had.  I can't find them.  I don't know if I put them in a box with something else, or if they're in my shed or up in the storage building. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2017, 05:39:05 pm »
No worries.  I have a lot of fixing up to do on my Fiero.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2017, 07:09:36 pm »
Shouldn't there be a gasket between the EGR mount block and the flange on the exhaust?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2017, 07:11:59 pm »
I tightened 2 loose bolts on the front valve cover.

The clamps on the intake hose weren't tight at all.

I thought there should be a thick ground wire going to the engine block, not just 2 little wires.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2017, 08:27:02 pm »
There should be a gasket between the egr block and the manifold.  Apparently the only source is The Fiero Store. 

Look just above the select cable bracket on the left.  You can see a threaded stud on the lower frame rail with a wire bolted to it.  That wire should go to one of the main transmission housing bolts.  It appears to be broken in this photo.  The broken end has a large eyelet for the transmission to engine bolt.  You can buy the regular bare braided ground straps in varying lengths and attach them between the cradle and engine, cradle an body, and the engine and body.  Grounds never hurt unless you attach them to a positive wire. :)

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 08:30:03 pm by Fierofool »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2017, 08:54:29 pm »
I'm disoriented in this pic, or something.  I thought this was the left (driver) side of the car.  I see what looks like the Y-pipe going down.  I see the frame rail.  What looks like a hose must be the ground cable, but it appears to go over to the exhaust and connect to nothing.

I looked at my Fiero on the left frame rail.  No ground cable anywhere that I could see or reach.  No bolt hole, either.  The only thing on the frame rail is some sort of line.  A brand new line.  Not sure where it goes.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2017, 09:19:18 pm »
This is the left side of the car, looking down while standing behind the car.  Manual transmission car.  The exhaust is the down pipe end of the Y pipe, where it connects before the catalytic converter.  The 2 silver pipes are AC pipes.  The dark pipe is the coolant crossover pipe. 

The wire doesn't connect to the exhaust.  Being 2 dimensional, there's no real depth.  It looks like the wire is curled, but on my car, it's long enough to connect to the transmission mounting bolt/stud.  Automatics might have the wire located elsewhere. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2017, 09:56:06 pm »
I'm not seeing how all this can be fixed without dropping the cradle and tearing the engine back down again.
I don't know for sure, but I have a suspicion that that messes with the alignment.

I think the EGR adapter will have to be replaced

Up by the spare tire, there are 2 bolts with big plastic heads on them.  One goes through the jack, I think, but the other one is shorter.  Where does it go?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2017, 10:10:52 pm »
The whole cradle can be dropped without affecting alignment if you loosen the struts at the top of the towers. 

Why does the EGR base or adapter need to be replaced?

The short bolt is what holds the metal bar that spare tire in place.  One of the bar has a flat head that fits into a slotted bracket.  The other end of the bar has a loop.  The loop and hold down bolt goes to the passenger side, just below the side of the jack. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2017, 10:33:03 pm »
One of the holes is stripped on the EGR adapter.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2017, 11:26:16 pm »
It can be heli-coiled.  We actually had one run done with heli-coils.  The wrong drill bit was used and it was oversize for tapping, so heli-coils of the right size and thread were installed. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2017, 11:27:46 pm »
I'd rather not.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2017, 05:53:19 pm »
I've come up with a total of 34 issues.  There was a lot of work done, and I understand that there cab be bugs/kinks to work out.  A few things were just sloppy oversights.  Usually, when I think of bugs and kings, I figure fine-tuning, maybe the issues with the gauges being a bit wacko.

I'm not sure what the problems are, but he thinks this is a 15-hour job to fix.  Maybe.  I think that's optimistic, at this point, but perhaps with a good game plan and working together...I still doubt it.