Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: My Misc Fiero issues  (Read 125362 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Misc Fiero issues
« Reply #210 on: July 30, 2018, 07:41:24 pm »
Charged up and ready to go.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 31, 2018, 05:44:26 pm »
Can't win for losing.  AC system developed issues.  Too much oil, and someone had put sealer in the system.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 02, 2018, 10:32:53 pm »
Took my Fiero for a shakedown drive.  SES light after a few miles, so came back.  Ended up being the throttle wasn't closing, due to faulty cruise module.  Left again, SES light, AGAIN.  This time, it wouldn't go back off.  EGR.  Replaced the EGR, cleaned the contacts, but it was likely a loose bolt.

Drive a few hundred miles, no brakes.  Eventually found a brake hose had rubbed through and leaked out all the brake fluid.  No brake hose available locally.  Clamped up the hose with vise grips, filled 'er up with fluid, and headed home.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #213 on: August 02, 2018, 11:49:23 pm »
Getting so that when I think of your car, I think of that song they sang on Hee-Haw.  "If it weren't for bad luck..........".
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 03, 2018, 12:28:20 am »
Believe it or not, I'm trying hard to fix everything.

Get this.  When it got dark, I turned on my headlights.  Something seemed odd, but I didn't realize what it was until dusk: no backlighting on the gauges.  Made sure the dimmer switch was plugged in.  Made sure the dimmer module was plugged in.  Checked the fuses.

Finally, I turned the dimmer switch ON, and behold!  Backlighting!  Woops.

Those vise grips rode back there for several hundred miles.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 03, 2018, 07:06:10 pm »
Here is the broken plug:

I hope this isn't commonplace.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 04, 2018, 11:32:58 am »
I have an issue on throttle tip-in.  If I'm at a stop, with the engine idling, and I open the throttle, the engine sounds as if it takes a breath then goes.  It doesn't just go.  No idea why.

There is something that sounds loose.  I can't seem to figure out what it is.  Whatever it is, it's over my left shoulder.  I hear the sound when going over bumps at any speed, and when shifting around 20MPH.  Sometimes, it sounds like a bolt grating through a hole; other times it sounds like a loose window.  Sometimes, the sound seems to originate from the strut tower area; other times from the area right below the B-pillar; sometimes from the B-pillar area itself, about the area of the striker.  The door is closed tightly, the window and windows lift mechanism are tight.  I pulled the left wheel and verified that the strut and tri-links are all tight.

Any ideas?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #217 on: August 04, 2018, 06:50:58 pm »
Kay's 85SE has something similar.  I couldn't determine where it came from.  She said it was something sliding or rolling inside the door. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 04, 2018, 07:00:43 pm »
There is something that sounds loose.  I can't seem to figure out what it is.  Whatever it is, it's over my left shoulder.  I hear the sound when going over bumps at any speed, and when shifting around 20MPH.  Sometimes, it sounds like a bolt grating through a hole; other times it sounds like a loose window.  Sometimes, the sound seems to originate from the strut tower area; other times from the area right below the B-pillar; sometimes from the B-pillar area itself, about the area of the striker.  The door is closed tightly, the window and windows lift mechanism are tight.  I pulled the left wheel and verified that the strut and tri-links are all tight.

Any ideas?

Stand beside the door and throw your hip against it, where it latches. See if you find your rattle. It's possible that the striker bolt has worn.
People seem to like the Ford striker bolts that are available in the "HELP" section at the parts stores. They are a few thousandths larger.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 07:05:22 pm by Raydar »

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 04, 2018, 07:04:56 pm »
I have an issue on throttle tip-in.  If I'm at a stop, with the engine idling, and I open the throttle, the engine sounds as if it takes a breath then goes.  It doesn't just go.  No idea why.

Any ideas?

The equivalent of an "accelerator pump shot" is triggered when you step on the throttle. The TPS is about the only thing that will affect that. Or maybe ignition timing.
Try adjusting the "tang" on the throttle position sensor, for a slightly higher TPS voltage. (If you have a way to monitor it. Otherwise, just bend it a bit so that the TPS is a little more 'ahead of itself" than it is now.)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 04, 2018, 07:21:13 pm »
Ignition timing should be on.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 04, 2018, 08:01:52 pm »
Nothing happened with the hip check. Maybe I don't weigh enough, though.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #222 on: August 04, 2018, 09:15:50 pm »
Be cautious with the hip check and don't get too aggressive.  My passenger door is cracked from the belt molding to the top, right along the back edge of the door.  I think it may have been from someone hip or butt-checking the door to close it. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 04, 2018, 09:26:27 pm »
Someone suggested checking the decklid vent on that side.  The vent seemed to be tight, but I removed the vent and went for a ride.  Same noise.  In my admittedly non-expert opinion, the vent probably couldn't make that noise from more than a mile away.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 05, 2018, 09:31:51 am »
Be cautious with the hip check and don't get too aggressive.  My passenger door is cracked from the belt molding to the top, right along the back edge of the door.  I think it may have been from someone hip or butt-checking the door to close it.

Ouch.