Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Little Duke Coupe  (Read 63439 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Little Duke Coupe
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2010, 11:08:38 pm »
Kevin and I will be bleeding the brake system and lubing up the sliders before attempting to rebuild the brake calipers.  We want to make sure that we don't incur expenses and labor that isn't necessary.

Kevin will also be taking a look at the radio.  It has a cheap aftermarket radio and the rear speakers don't work.  We'll be installing a late model Grand Prix radio. 

I will also be pulling out my set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 white letter tires to install on the Lil Duke Coupe.  The tires that are on the car have very little mileage, but have 4 years of sitting.  They are dry rotted badly and 2 of them go flat in about 2 days.  Anyone have a tire changer? 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2010, 08:35:13 am »
Hey Charlie, I have access to a tire machine. I can change them but not balance them.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2010, 10:25:01 pm »
Today The Duke got newly rebuilt headlight motors on both sides.  Man, I can't get the stink of the old motors out of my nostrils.  Smelled like someone puked in them.  I devised a way to hold the brushes in place while reinserting the drive motor.  Next time I won't waste a couple of hours trying to hold them in place. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

RobsFieros

• View Profile
    • East Tennessee Fiero Club
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2010, 11:01:16 pm »
Your not suppose to snort "that" powder.... ;D
Robert Finley
President-East Tennessee Fiero Club
Member- Georgia Fiero Club
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2010, 11:16:55 pm »
I don't think it was the powder.  I think it was the lubricant they used on the gears.  The powder was great! :) ::)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2010, 11:30:54 am »
While working on the car, I've noticed that the center of the driver's seat has started to tear, so the seats will need to be replaced.  I'm considering installing a set of GT seats and then protecting them with slip covers.  As soon as we get a good weekend, Kevin and I are going to tackle the brakes and get them freed up.  It should be able to go on the road shortly, so that anyone who wants to contribute to the car can have it at their place.

88_4mula

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2010, 09:58:58 pm »
A good day is hard to come by.  But we will get those brakes done.

RobsFieros

• View Profile
    • East Tennessee Fiero Club
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2010, 10:03:53 pm »
Have you got any recent pictures of the car?
Robert Finley
President-East Tennessee Fiero Club
Member- Georgia Fiero Club
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2010, 10:04:47 pm »
A good day is hard to come by.  But we will get those brakes done.

I managed to change the oil on my little duke today. The day was at least good enough for that.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2010, 10:15:10 pm »
Have you got any recent pictures of the car?

Nothing's changed much, visibly, except that I washed it and got all the black crud off it.  I cleaned out all the built-up leaves, and the radio is hanging out by its wires.  They cut the harness and spliced in the new radio, so I want to leave it intact for Kevin to work with. 

I degreased the engine and it's looking decent.  I plan to repaint some of the hardware in the engine bay to spruce it up a bit.  When I start, I'll likely take some before and after pictures.  I still don't have the title to the car, so I'm a little reluctant to do a lot to it, though I trust Dan will provide the title without hesitation.  He spends a lot of time out of state and it's difficult for us to syncronize our schedules.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2010, 04:16:05 pm »
Wednesday I took a drive up to visit Robbie.  Returned the dash, throttle body and alternator he provided for the duke.  They weren't needed after all.  Also delivered an 87 V6 to him that he's going to recondition.  Only has 145K miles.  Contact Robbie if you need a motor. 

Today I removed the valve cover on the Little Duke Coupe and replaced it with a FelPro rubber gasket kit that comes with the bolts and wings like the 3.4 and small block Chevys use.  Also came with a new EGR valve gasket since you have to remove the EGR to get the valve cover off.  While I had everything off, I cleaned and repainted the breather and valve cover a nice glossy black.  It must have had a replacement valve cover because it was still coated with Cosmolene everywhere except the top surface.  I'll post some pictures later when I'm feeling a little better. 

While I was putting it back together, I checked the EGR valve.  It has a hole in the diaphragm.  Does anyone have a good used EGR valve for an 88 Duke? 

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2010, 07:04:18 pm »
I have one. It's aftermarket, and the vacuum port isn't facing the right way, so you may have to modify the vacuum line. The aftermarket ones are supposed to be able to be rotated to aim the vacuum port, but this one is used and seems to be frozen in place.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2010, 11:49:15 pm »
I have a set of damaged vacuum lines off a V6 so I can probably find a section that will conform.  Thanks.

I've been trying to post pictures, but PIP gives me an internet error message.  This is something new because it's been working for me up until now.  I get error code 35756 run time error.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 10:40:04 am by Fierofool »

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2010, 11:05:42 am »
If you email the pics to me, I'll put them up.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2010, 11:20:24 am »
This is the interior

This is how it looked after 4 years of sitting in the back yard.

Headliner is sagging and was supported in many places by straight pins.  There's a good supply in the ash tray.

Scott Brown and I about to load it onto the trailer to bring it to it's new home

The engine is pretty clean inside.  No sludge buildup except around the center headbolt directly behind the throttle body.

Removed the valve cover to replace a leaky gasket.  This reminds me of the Kellogg's Raisin Bran song---
You get two tubes of silicone on every Little Duke Coupe head.

The breather with valve cover and new gasket reinstalled.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 04:56:48 pm by Fierofool »