Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 17th ANNUAL RUN FOR THE HILLS--SEPT. 14-16. 2012  (Read 42664 times)

Donster

• View Profile
Re: 17th ANNUAL RUN FOR THE HILLS--SEPT. 14-16. 2012
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2012, 12:40:22 pm »
I know that its late, but I will be joining ya'll for the run!

Awesome!
The more, the more. ;D

\D
Life is good!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2012, 06:33:21 pm »
It's never too late until it's over. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2012, 10:55:18 pm »
good freakin news on my end! Tomorrow me and lee are going to get my new rear shocks put in and my good condition steering rack put in as well :) and the swap will start next week! Very excited to go out there with a better suspension >.<

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2012, 01:55:08 am »
It's a record....it is 36 hours before we leave for the run, and both Colin's car and the convertible are ready to go.  Guess I will have to do a Blue Ridge Parkway run tomorrow to see if I can break something...

Fierlfly, her husband, and myself plan on showing up fairly early Friday...probably around 3pm.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2012, 06:52:30 am »
Just be sure you get it aligned before the run.  I take it that Lee isn't going to attend?  I've been calling him for over a week and he doesn't answer. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2012, 02:05:59 pm »
We are running late (did you really think we would be there when planned?)  We are having lunch right now... we are about 3 hours out.

HarryT

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2012, 02:16:20 pm »
Hope everyone is alive and well this afternoon.  We made it home safely.  The Little Black Car is making some horrible internal noises from under the hood, so I will have to do some diagnosis.
It was a great run yesterday, very well organized and fun to the last moment. 
On the run down the four lane to Frankin when we passed the motorcycles my GPS set another record.  We reached 86.5 MPH.  Glad there was no radar set up there. ::)  I averaged 24.65 MPG.
Thanks to Charlie, Don, Tim and all the rest who organized it and all participants that made it so enjoyable. ;D
The 18th RFTH can't come soon enough;
Harry and Karin
87  Black GT (The Little Black Car)
2009 Honda CR-V
X 2002  40' Allegro Bus X Traded
2008 Thor Four Winds Siesta 25SA
Retired Mechanic

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2012, 05:24:12 pm »
Im back in Huntsville safe and sound. Had a GREAT time meeting people and making new friends. The run was lots of fun and could only be made better by doing another one. On the down side, I lost a camera so, if anyone found a small digital camera, please contact me. Thanks Charlie for the invite.
1985 2M6 SE, 1986 GT x 2.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2012, 06:01:57 pm »
This was a great run!
Here are some pictures...

Staging before the run...

Lunch...

Just before running the Dragon...

Rescuing the rescue vehicle...

After the dragon...

At Fontanna Dam...

Dinner after the run...

Fierofool owns the dragon!

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2012, 06:44:38 pm »
Fierfly took 277 pics from the passenger seat on this run....here is a small sample.

Not sure what is so important about the dash, but she gets several good pics of it every year.  Seriously though, this gives you an idea how difficult it is for her to get these action shots while I am pushing the car to it's limits on these curves.

I have only looked at one of the videos, and it is definitely worth watching...can't wait to see what else I have.  I will hopefully get those up later tonight.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2012, 08:54:48 pm »
We were again blessed with a wonderful weekend and an even better group of participants.  Though it started out with a little fog for the first half hour, the sun broke through about the time we got into the good turns. 

In a number of the pictures you'll see a BMW convertible in the midst.  It wasn't just there by chance. The Dad is driving the silver GT in front, and the Daughter and Wife took turns whipping the B'mer through the curves. I ran behind them on several occasions and I was impressed with the Young Lady's (Wife) driving skills as well as those of the Xtra Young Lady's (Daughter).  We're glad we met you and even more glad that you came out to join us.  Hope you become a regular part of our group. 

And that Saturn SUV back there is our trusty FiHero Service Vehicle with all sorts of Fiero First Aid supplies including modules, coils, lubricants, coolants, and who knows what else. Just about everything to keep a Fiero going sans an engine and transmission.  Riding shotgun with him was a club member who knows his way in and out of a Fiero so anyone with a problem would never fall far behind.

In our defense, it wasn't riding our tail because he could keep up with us on the turns, but because we were often held up by guess what? MOTORCYCLES!

No problems with any vehicles and Whodeanie didn't do any of his pirouettes for us this year, but it was still a fun and exciting weekend just the same. 

Fiero GTB

• I don't drive much, but when I do I drive my Fiero
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2012, 11:02:12 pm »

Fellow Fieroans:

This was my first year actually running the RFTH. I was involved with FieroFool and several others in checking out the course, putting together directions, etc.  Everyone did a great job with gave us one of the smoothest and most fun car 'rallies' I've ever been on!

I believe this was my third time actually running the TOTD, too. Twice in my Cadillac Allante' and this third time in the supercar to end all supercars: my 2004 Saturn VUE, filled with 3 tool boxes, 4 gals of coolant, 6 qts of oil, 2 cans of brake fluid, along with Liquid Wrench, Seafoam, Fuel-Injector cleaner, Rain-X, washer fluid, 6 orange traffic cones, flashing lights, cappuccino, sodas, extra FRS radios, and enough spare parts to assemble an extra Fiero if we met anyone along the way who wanted to join in.

Below, in no logical order, are a few observations, following my first GFC RFTH:

- I can't wait to see the Killboy.com photo of the looks on RockinRoger's and my faces as we squeeled around a curve in the VUE, both waving at the camera, when we notice that there's a trooper next to the photographer watching us, too. Kinda like that breathless moment when you look up from loading a CD to see that semi-truck stopped dead 17 feet in front of you.

- ICMs should be sold in 12-packs, and each driver should carry at least one 12-pack in the trunk for every 100 miles to be driven. Throw away the eight defective ones, and that will still leave you 2 to get you through that 100 miles.

- If you ever want someone to navigate you through one of these events, you couldn't pick a better and more entertaining shotgun-seater than RockinRoger!

- If you dare to come up on the back bumper of FieroFool, he will stick that canned-air blast horn out of his window backward and blow it at you. This accomplishes two things:

1- The blast from that nuclear-powered 700 dB air horn gives him an instant 6 MPH boost forward, and,

2- As RockinRoger would say, "That's enough to scare the fleas off a dog!"

- Horsetrading your raffle prize is twice as much fun as actually winning one!

- FieroFool's advice to BYO toilet paper and hand sanitizer is what makes him a 'sage.'

- Spartanzz & Spartanzzette have an unlimited supply of tolerance and humor. I had more fun tormenting these two young lovebirds at the meal stops than Prince Harry probably had in Vegas. (Well, almost, maybe.) As my salt-of-the-earth late aunt Alberta would have said, "Theys is good people." I know you all join me in wishing them both a lifetime of good health and every happiness together! They haven't set their wedding date yet, but I have a feeling they will be registered at most of our RFTH sponsors! ;-)

- Mom & Daughter following along while Dad drove his silver GT have mastered that Bimmer. One of the funniest moments on the run was when we missed a turn-off and had to make a U-turn at the next crossover on a divided 4-lane highway.  I made a wide, sweeping U-turn in the VUE (which, BTW, handled like a half-full waterballoon on a roller skate with loose wheels) and looked up in my rearview mirror and RockinRoger looked into the side mirror just in time for us to witness Daughter literally PIVOTING that Bimmer into the first lane to head the opposite direction!  RR and I both stuck our hands out the windows giving her the Thumbs Up signal, only to see Mom returning it...  "Yeah, BOYS, that's MY daughter hand-brake- turning our Bimmer around in a cloud of tire smoke!"  Whose mom wouldn't be proud?  ;-)

- Even if this was the first time you've met them, Donster & Duchess are your good friends. Trust me; they do so much behind the scenes to make sure everyone has good, safe, fun.

- Within a 12-mile radius of the Franklin Microtel, neither Dollar General, Wal-Mart, Dollar Tree, Home Depot, Office Depot, nor Sam's Saw Rentals & Computer Repair have rolls of raffle tickets available at 8pm on a Friday night, and K-Mart only carries them in red.

- A group of large, pink balloons WILL survive 30-degree variances in temperature changes, wind, and light rain overnight when tied to a highway signpost to mark a hard-to-see turn.

- Radiator fan plugs come in two different types.

- Sometimes, the rescue vehicle needs a rescue.  (Thanks for the jump start, J!). (And you quit snickering, Spartanzz!)

- I'll be back next year.

Best,

Fiero GTB

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 11:22:26 pm by Fiero GTB »
Every time my GPS says, "Your ETA is...,"
   I hear, "Your Time to Beat is..."

Fiero GTB

• I don't drive much, but when I do I drive my Fiero
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2012, 09:10:32 am »
Cherohala Skyway - Saturday - 9/15/2012 - Photos taken 10am - 5pm