Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 3-core vs single-core  (Read 13965 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
3-core vs single-core
« on: June 08, 2019, 09:12:51 pm »
Opinions?

Apparently, the new 'Vette uses single-core.  I was planning on using a 3-core radiator, but am being told that single-core radiators are more effective.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: 3-core vs single-core
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 10:13:11 pm »
I've seen some differing opinions on which is better.  Some say the 3 core cools better and others say that the 3 core restricts the air flow.  I have a 3 core in the 87 because that was all that was available and it did tend to get hot when it had the standard fan switch in the engine.  Once I changed to the 220-210 switch, I've not had any cooling problems, even in traffic.  Standard 195 thermostat. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 10:35:02 am »
  In The Old day's a Radiator was Sized to cool an engine at 30 mph and cooling Fans weather Belt or Electric driven, supplied that CFM of air, A 3 row will allow water flow to be Faster and be cooled as well as a Single row Flowing slower, Massive size engines like a 427 ford spinning 7000 rpm Makes a lot of Heat and water Flow Speed Is fire hose like. A 250 CI engine that never or hardly ever sees 5000rpm just does not make as much Heat.  A Vette can overheat sitting still if BOTH Fans Are not working Properly,  just the other day I saw one Idle for HOURS with the A/C on and 90 deg. out side, it's problem was Overheating due to 1 Fan not coming on.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 11:13:51 pm »
So, a 3-core radiator should be fine for a 3.4.  At least, that's how I read the comments above.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 11:21:40 pm »
My 87 3.4 tended to run hot when in slow traffic until I installed the low temp switch.  The 86 2.8 already had an aluminum radiator in it but I don't know how many rows it has.  It also tended to run hot, but the coolant lines have a minor crush in both.  After installing the low temp switch in it, it doesn't overheat, either. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers